Mypal browser

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by trimis, Oct 31, 2018.

1. trimis

cmccaff1

I would definitely consider upgrading to Centaury 0.0.3 and Mypal 28.3.1 (if I'm not mistaken, these are the latest versions available on feodor2's Github page at the moment). You should see even better results with fresh installations of these versions on a fresh XP SP3 install. Far and away, those are the best browsers for XP right now as far as compatibility with the modern-day Internet. If you need a browser that can handle the demands of today's World Wide Web, either Centaury or Mypal will be more than equipped for the job (it's even better if you pair them together; one picks up the other's slack extremely well!)

My current browser setup is a rather bizarre one (at least it may seem that way to some), but I'm pretty happy with it! I'm now using the latest (last?) version of Retrozilla, a fork of Gecko 1.8 (which Firefox 2.x and SeaMonkey 1.x both used) designed to improve its compatibility with present-day websites as much as is possible. The copy I have is a customized one by roytam1 which enables TLS 1.2 (giving it far greater access out of the box to modernized HTTPS sites than can be achieved with the aging Firefox 2.0.0.22pre or SeaMonkey 1.1.20pre) & restores the Firefox 2.x interface (which I have always preferred to the more intimidating interface of SeaMonkey 1.x). By this point in time, the Gecko 1.8 layout engine is definitely starting to show its age, but still gets the job done with a lot of sites (such as the 'basic view' of GMail, mobile Facebook/Twitter, and even this very forum). Retrozilla TLS1.2 is definitely the best browser you can run on Windows NT 3.51 these days, and also highly recommended for 9x users (especially those running 95 and/or 98FE). On my Core i5-4690 (3.5GHz) with 3.4GB of RAM & XP SP3 it's blazing fast, though turning off JavaScript helps tremendously in that regard. For newer sites Retrozilla TLS1.2 can't handle I've got Mypal 27.9.4 (a fork by feodor2 of the final official release in the Pale Moon 27.x.x series); while it is inferior to 28.x.x as far as site compatibility, it loads faster/uses less RAM.

cmccaff1, Feb 27, 2019
  2. trimis

Janice

See my post #2 in this thread for more information about blocking CCleaner updates.

https://www.xpforums.com/threads/how-to-disable-ccleaner-run-at-startup.933720/

Janice, Feb 28, 2019
    trimis and cmccaff1 like this.
  3. trimis

trimis

Thanks for the info. My skill level is not really up to going looking around for the exe file and deleting it, and learning how is more work than CCleaner is worth. For any/all programs, I have a minimum level of trust that I will tolerate, and once CCleaner ignored my settings, that trust was violated, and after it then powered through my firewall, that trust was doubly violated. Since I depend on CCleaner to eliminate anything BleachBit misses, I will uninstall this version and try to replace it with an early one...if that fails, it's gone.

trimis, Mar 2, 2019
  4. trimis

trimis

Okay so I went with this version, as I could not find any site to download the older one mentioned by 'cmccaff1'. That is, no source on the list of 'safe' download sites I have compiled. So I picked custom install, and good thing too, as it had the box 'check for updates' prechecked, which I wasted no time undoing. I'll now try blocking it from the internet via Outpost Firewall 2009, as before....hopefully the forced update problem is now over...if not, I'll have to ditch CCleaner.

trimis, Mar 2, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  5. trimis

Elizabeth23

trimis: :)

https://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/8417/

filehippo is a good site and is even used by piriform for ccleaner downloads. you can get your old version here, I use this site alot when looking for older versions of some programs

Elizabeth23, Mar 2, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  6. trimis

cmccaff1

Either 1.41 or 2.36 is a good bet. All the 'intrusive' features of CCleaner were introduced in the 3.x series, and 1.x versions will even work on Windows 95/NT 4.0 .

cmccaff1, Mar 2, 2019
  7. trimis

WindowsXPforever

Wow.... This is off topic badly,damm

WindowsXPforever, Mar 2, 2019
    Janice and cmccaff1 like this.
  8. trimis

trimis

My research indicates Filehippo was once safe (https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/filehippo.com), like CNET, but then went to the darkside, like CNET:

https://forum.piriform.com/topic/41...-noticing-this-spywaremalwarebloatware-trick/
    https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.filehippo.com
    https://www.thewindowsclub.com/filehippo-starts-offering-downloads-via-installers
    https://davescomputertips.com/beware-filehippo-now-pushing-adware/

I have only found one more recent mention of filehippo (https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/d...4f13550b5733ec67c21a566ec86e36f5bfe/analysis/), which suggests its now safe. Unfortunately, virustotal seems not much into testing for adware/bundleware, so its 'thumbs up' is unreliable, as you can see~
    https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/6...5bec3f93848f2ecc4a44400b819b9c5b1e1/analysis/

trimis, Mar 2, 2019
  9. trimis

trimis

Okay, so as update I finished copying all bookmarks to AbiWord, and yesterday installed/re-installed (upgraded?) to Mypal 28.4.0. After about 5 hours of using it today, I can report the bookmarks from previous version were maintained, Youtube videos still play, and the previous drag into sluggish response after a few hours of use seems to have been fixed. I'd say this new version of Mypal is a winner!

trimis, Mar 27, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  10. trimis

trimis

Any chance you know how to permanently disable the inhouse popup blocker in Mypal? I assume it has to be done via 'about:config', as going through 'tools', 'content', and unchecking 'block popup windows' does nothing.

trimis, Mar 27, 2019
  11. trimis

cmccaff1

I'm glad you found a winner, my friend! It sounds like feodor2 finally struck gold with this latest version of MyPal--recently, I got on a bit of a Netscape 'retro' kick and installed Retrozilla 2.2 (a huge upgrade over its predecessor, thanks to its now built-in TLS 1.2 support) alongside SeaMonkey 2.49.5 (an unofficial build by WG9). Netscape-type browsers are a bit intimidating to optimize because of their wide range of settings, but if you go through it bit-by-bit it all works out. I just might go back to MyPal and stick with 28.4.0 indefinitely, as it sounds like the perfect 'sweet spot' for stability has finally been achieved.

cmccaff1, Mar 27, 2019
  12. trimis

trimis

Actually no....the builtin popup blocker went from useless in the previous version, to a constant pain in this one, so much so I may have to downgrade to the past version if I cannot figure out how to disable it.

trimis, Mar 29, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  13. trimis

cmccaff1

Sorry that happened to you, my friend. I've actually decided to move away from Mypal & migrate to roytam1's New Moon. I was a bit reluctant at first because I wasn't fond of the idea of having to manually update every week, but the process doesn't seem that complicated...just download the newest version each Saturday and overwrite the files in the program folder (thankfully, none of the profile files are overwritten, so you retain all settings and any extensions you've installed).

cmccaff1, Mar 29, 2019
  14. trimis

Elizabeth23

trimis, it is not the ad blocker going bad it is the websites learning to by pass adblockers. yahoo has a big banner across the top without an adblocker, and when I install uBlock origin long ago it worked to keep the banner off, but now the banner is back and I cannot get rid of it, yahoo has learned to incorporate its ads into the website and not be blocked. :)

Elizabeth23, Mar 30, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  15. trimis

cmccaff1

Come to think of it, that makes plenty of sense. A lot of these modern websites are getting very crafty as far as how they serve the content. In general, disabling JavaScript still works wonders in creating a tolerable enough web experience, but even that doesn't always guarantee smoothness of scrolling or privacy protection anymore.

cmccaff1, Mar 30, 2019
  16. trimis

ClippyBeer

Are you referring to the purple banner at the top?

[​IMG]

That's been there for a while now, but I don't get any ads on Yahoo with Ublock Origin. You probably need to go into Ublock's settings and update your filter lists.

ClippyBeer, Mar 31, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  17. trimis

Elizabeth23

I do update quite frequently, but I only use the yahoo page to get to my email so it is not a big problem for me. :)

Elizabeth23, Mar 31, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  18. trimis

trimis

Sorry, but it is the in-house ad blocker of the current Mypal 28.4.0. I pretty regularly get the 'Mypal has blocked' announcement at the top of the page while shopping, on some forums (it's even started to block captchas), and clicking links. I then have to click on something to give permission, and given the regularity, I'll pretend to be the Queen and say "We are not amused"! Previous version had a worthless ad blocker, and I had to get Adblock Latitude & Popup Blocker Ultimate to quell the annoyance. This version of Mypal has an adblocker on steroids, that is more annoying that the adverts. I need to disable it in the about:config, and return to Adblock Latitude & Popup Blocker Ultimate...or if that is not possible, I'll have to downgrade to the previous version of Mypal.

trimis, Apr 1, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  19. trimis

Elizabeth23

can you post some of the links that you get this message, please? I do not get this message. I want to try with the links that you are using.

Elizabeth23, Apr 1, 2019
    cmccaff1 and trimis like this.
  20. trimis

trimis

Someone on another forum suggested I go into about:config and change the:
    dom.popup_maximum (from 20 to 0).
    Since then the popups have been a way lot less, definitely tolerable. I'll keep watch, and try to remember to copy some links that set it off into AbiWord, and provide them here when I have a handful.
    Frankly, I still don't like the fact that Mypal circumvents my choice to turn off the popup blocker. When I go to 'preference', 'content', and uncheck 'block popup windows' it should dang well stay unchecked. This is the exact sort of antics the Mozilla Mothership (and their awful Firefox) would pull. I am not a fan of the 'we know what's best for you' stuff. I had to ditch the Click&Clean extension in SRWare Iron, due to similar (autoupdating) problem.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    trimis, Apr 3, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
Ask a Question