Mypal browser

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by trimis, Oct 31, 2018.

1. trimis

cmccaff1

As for CCleaner 5.46, if you can get past the initial frustration of the auto-update (provided you installed a version between 5.34 and 5.45) it does work a treat. I'm actually back on 2.36, an ancient version that will even work on 98SE and (if I'm not mistaken) NT 4.0. It's just as good at clearing out junk files and keeping the registry clean as newer versions (at least for the programs I regularly use), while coming in a much smaller size (the install .exe is only 1.13MB) and requiring a lot less RAM as well as processor power (I've successfully used it under 98SE on my IBM Thinkpad 380ED with only 48MB of RAM and a 166MHz Pentium MMX processor--not as fast as CCleaner 1.41 under 95 OSR2.5 on the same hardware, but it works very well).

cmccaff1, Feb 3, 2019
    trimis likes this.
  2. trimis

ClippyBeer

Woohoo! Centaury is is now portable!!
    https://github.com/Feodor2/Centaury/releases

FYI Centaury is a Basilisk fork, just like Serpent - These are more closely related to Firefox judging by the menus/options while New Moon/MyPal are Pale Moon forks.

ClippyBeer, Feb 3, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  3. trimis

cmccaff1

That's right--starting with the 0.0.3 update Centaury now has a portable option. Centaury is forked from Basilisk, which in and of itself is forked from Firefox 52ESR (which is what made an XP fork possible in the first place). Mypal is forked from Pale Moon, which is more of a hodgepodge (most of it is forked from 38ESR and 52ESR, with some code coming from 24ESR [which makes it possible to use some older extensions, like QuickJava 2.0.4.1]).

cmccaff1, Feb 3, 2019
  4. trimis

trimis

No problem. It usually takes me awhile to make my rounds back to xpforums anyway.Not to be nosy but can I ask how long you been using Centaury 0.0.3 and MyPal 28.3.1? Also, did you "install over the old" with MyPal, and if so, did your bookmarks from the old version survive to the new one? I'm trying to decide if I should backup my bookmark URLs to AbiWord, before attempting to upgrade MyPal.

trimis, Feb 5, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  5. trimis

trimis

Just to get the word out, my CCleaner 4.46 just tried to stealth upgrade, even though I thought I had done everything to de-claw and de-fang it. Outpost Firewall 2009 caught it, tattled to me, and I've now blocked it in Outpost...but this sure seems like déjà vu. Maybe I should block it across the board, and not just its update component. I much doubt ccleaner.exe needs internet access to do its job. What do you all think?

trimis, Feb 5, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  6. trimis

cmccaff1

I've been using these respective versions of Centaury and MyPal for the past five days--not one crash or bug/glitch since I upgraded. And, no, I didn't upgrade from an older version...these were fresh installs on a fresh XP SP3 installation. Backing your bookmarks up never hurts with any browser when you're thinking about upgrading--anything can happen, and from my experiences it's always a smart measure to take even with browsers reputed for their stability (which Firefox and its various forks definitely are on XP...from the first release in 2004 to the newest you can find, Mozilla blessed XP users with perhaps the best browser you can use on this OS).

cmccaff1, Feb 5, 2019
    trimis likes this.
  7. trimis

cmccaff1

CCleaner definitely does NOT need to use the Internet to perform the functions it was designed to execute (which is yet another reason why I migrated back to 2.36--it was released before Piriform integrated that sort of feature, and also predates a lot of the other annoying crap I can't stand in newer versions [not even 5.32, which is the last version I would personally consider using]).

cmccaff1, Feb 5, 2019
    trimis likes this.
  8. trimis

trimis

Much appreciate the info. I'll block CCleaner components across the board in Outpost Firewall, and see if that ends it's ability to update, as it seems to of worked with BleachBit. I'd like to hear about the "other annoying crap"! When I originally downloaded CCleaner I did not really research it, beyond making sure it was not the malware-contaminated version (5.33?), so not aware of any crap in my version 5.46....but if it ain't flagrant like this stealth update, and if Outpost or Malwarebytes don't rat it out, then I likely would not be aware!

trimis, Feb 13, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  9. trimis

trimis

Okay so I'll begin copying out the Mypal bookmarks to AbiWord, hold off on the re-install of Mypal til that is done, and today I'll give Centaury a try. Looks to be an exe file, which I don't recall ever having a problem with...other stuff seems to require fussing with 7-zip (or similar crap), which is never good. Had successful install maybe 2 out of 5 times, so I'm not a fan!

Postscript: Centaury install was successful. I'll begin its test drive, and report back in a week (if I remember). I'm old, so that's a big 'if'!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    trimis, Feb 13, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  10. trimis

trimis

Be advised the above link for centaury is no longer working. The page URL is now:
    https://github.com/Feodor2/Centaury/releases
    No idea if the above links for Mypal are still operational, as I do not want to test them til I have backed up bookmarks on my older version, but here is the page URL for current Mypal releases:
    https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases

trimis, Feb 13, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  11. trimis

cmccaff1

I don't know what surprised me more: the fact that with Centaury 0.0.3 and Mypal 28.3.1 feodor2 had reached such a great level of stability/reliability with his forks to get me off the original releases of both, or the fact that he finally got around to creating separate pages for both on Github.

In a strange sort of way, I preferred them sharing a page, but admittedly it had gotten a bit confusing to track all the different versions. I'm definitely not taking for granted still being able to enjoy a complete Internet experience in 2019 in Windows XP SP3--after all these years, this is still the heavyweight champion out of all the operating systems Microsoft ever made (only Windows 2000 and NT 3.51/4.0, and maybe a fully-updated 98SE, come close).

cmccaff1, Feb 13, 2019
  12. trimis

cmccaff1

I can't remember exactly when this occurred (meaning, when this feature was introduced), but for me CCleaner 'jumped the shark' when they introduced system monitoring (i.e. keeping track of the junk files/registry errors on your system and letting you know when a good time has arrived for cleaning it up again) and 'stealth' mode (i.e. doing an automatic clean behind-the-scenes/in the background). The former reeks of privacy invasion (they essentially get a complete read of the files on your computer and can send that information back to Piriform/Avast), and the latter treats you like a child (no, I don't need you to clean my PC for me, CCleaner; I will use you when I need you). I believe these were introduced in the 3.x series, if not 4.x (they were/are definitely not in 2.36, which is one of many reasons why I still use this particular version).

I may have mentioned it before, but for me it bears repeating that 2.36 is the last version that will work with 98SE and ME (and possibly also NT 4.0; I haven't tested it on that OS or 98FE, but for 95/NT 4.0/98FE CCleaner 1.41 will do the job just fine as well). This makes it a good choice for older PCs that lack the 'oomph' to run XP with decent speed but will do fine with the 9x OS series.

cmccaff1, Feb 13, 2019
    trimis likes this.
  13. trimis

Janice

Is it not possible to disable these two features in CCleaner?

Janice, Feb 15, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  14. trimis

cmccaff1

It is indeed possible, and can be done very easily! I still prefer CCleaner 2.36 because it runs the best of nearly all the versions I've tried (the only one that runs better is 1.41, and I'm interested in actually trying that one again very soon).

cmccaff1, Feb 15, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  15. trimis

Lex24

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    Lex24, Feb 15, 2019
    cmccaff1 and Janice like this.
  16. trimis

Janice

Janice, Feb 15, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  17. trimis

trimis

Well, I blocked all CCleaner components on Feb.12th from internet access (via Outpost Firewall 2009), and I'd to like report success, but i just looked at what version is listed on IObit Uninstaller, and its showing CCleaner 5.46, so it still managed an auto-upgrade from my version 4.46. Looks like it's time to downgrade to your version, as I cannot abide stealth installs/upgrades. I'll uninstall 5.46, then try to install 2.36, and once again block its access to the internet via the firewall (hopefully that will work this time).

trimis, Feb 27, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  18. trimis

trimis

So I've finished tryout of Centaury, and the verdict is not as good as Mypal, as it has some bugs. While it plays YouTube videos fine directly from YouTube, when you click on a YouTube link from another site (say Reddit), and go to the video....the audio is in slow-motion about half the time. Centaury seems unable to play all the video formats....some sites it plays, some never play, some videos starts and stop in spurts, and some crash it. Version 52.9.0 is not bad, but needs some work.

I have yet to upgrade Mypal 28.1.0. Still working on the bookmarks issue. The only problem I have had with this browser is that it usually freezes up if more than two 'windows' or 'tabs' are open, or if I have another browser in use. This renders everything unusable, and I have to hit the power button on the PC.

trimis, Feb 27, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  19. trimis

Elizabeth23

I can have 10 or more tabs open and it does not freeze, I am using 28.2.2 version. The loading circles spin a little longer but they all load. Have you tried it without any addons running? I believe that one of your addons are causing this.

Elizabeth23, Feb 27, 2019
    trimis likes this.
  20. trimis

cmccaff1

If you do decide to install and use CCleaner 2.36, then I have no doubt you will be very pleased with its performance. You could even go back to 1.41, which is actually the version I'm using right now. It's arguably the most versatile of all CCleaner versions with regards to its OS compatibility; it is confirmed to work on Windows 95/NT 4.0/98FE/98SE/ME, and might even work on NT 3.51 with tweaks (I have yet to try it, and I--Honestly, I haven't installed such an old version of NT in many years, so I don't know what to tell you there). It is even faster than 2.36 in my experiences; the only thing that had me skeptical initially about going back to 1.41 was its bigger installer size compared to that of 2.36 (though it turns out the bloat was because of a Yahoo toolbar packaged into the installer; factor it out of the equation, and size is no longer an issue). It is truly amazing to look back at these older CCleaner versions; the 1.x series was a feat for its time, and there's not too much you CAN'T clean with it to this very day!

cmccaff1, Feb 27, 2019
Ask a Question