Mypal browser

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by trimis, Oct 31, 2018.

1. trimis

Elizabeth23

My opinion is all of them, except your adblocker, but if you are using mypal, it comes with an adblocker so you have to ensure that they do not conflict with each other, the others , since I am not sure what they all do, just leave them disabled until you need one and then enable it, that is what I do for all 3 of mine except for uBlock origin which is always enabled :)

Elizabeth23, Nov 19, 2018
    cmccaff1 and trimis like this.
  2. trimis

trimis

Not sure if there was some confusion from my previous but the list of addons:
    Adguard Adblocker
    Click&CleaN
    Disconnect Facebook pixel & FB Tracking
    Flash Block (Plus)
    Keyboard Privacy
    Pay by Privacy.com
    Search by Image
    Skip Redirect
    Stealth Mode
    UntrackMe
    WebRTC Leak Prevent
    was what I have on SRWare Iron.

For Mypal I have:
    Dismiss the Overlay
    Popup Blocker Ultimate
    Self-Destructing Cookies
    Skip Redirect
    Toggle Javascript 1.2.2

If Mypal comes with an adblocker, it is sure useless, though this 'Popup Blocker Ultimate' is no big improvement, but very slightly better than the 'Adblock Latitude' I did have. How did you get 'uBlock Origin' installed on Mypal? It's not on their list of extensions, and when I try to install it via Firefox extensions site, it says Mypal's version is too old.

The freezing seems to have lessened since I've been leaving some addons disabled, and enabling as needed, plus been limiting simultaneous use of browsers to Iron and Mypal (with only two windows to each), so thanks for the tip.

trimis, Nov 21, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  3. trimis

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Nov 21, 2018
    trimis and cmccaff1 like this.
  4. trimis

cmccaff1

It depends on your personal needs, trimis. It may require trial and error. Usually, when I'm browsing (my current setup is Firefox 28.0 for most sites [the last version before Mozilla switched to Australis] and Mypal 28.1.0 for newer ones [and this time I truly feel I have finalized it; after more experimentation than you can even begin to imagine I'd have to say these are the best modern browsers I've used in Windows XP]), I am running QuickJava (version 2.0.4.1, which is the last version that will work with both browsers) and a fairly up-to-date version of Dan Pollock's HOSTS file. Since I'm back on (and for the time being will not be migrating from) my HP Pavilion Slimline S5-1020 PC (which has a Pentium E6800, a dual-core with similar capabilities to the Core 2 Duo [but a bit stripped-down]), I could probably install an ad-blocker with no performance penalty, but for the time being my setup is doing exactly what I need it to do...I can connect to any site on the Internet with no trouble/network errors, and have fine built-in protection against harmful sites. I don't have an antivirus installed, and haven't gotten a virus since 2010.

When I'm using QuickJava, I always have JavaScript/Java/Flash/SilverLight/animated images disabled, with only cookies/images/CSS enabled. This allows for fine speed on both browsers, and even on my DC5000 SFF (which has a 2.8GHz Prescott P4) things are running smoothly as long as you don't load anything too hardware-intensive. The nice thing about the Pentium E6800 is that it has built-in memory management (according to sixthofmay), as does every other Intel processor starting with the C2Duo/Quad series. Besides the fact that the speed boost is incredibly significant, that is another great advantage because it means the PC will only use as much electricity as it needs, whereas the P4/PD and older processors are tearing a new hole in your electric bill whether you have them sitting idle or you're pushing them to its limits.

cmccaff1, Nov 22, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  5. trimis

trimis

trimis, Dec 5, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  6. trimis

trimis

According to Firefox addons site, Mypal is using firefox 27.0. I also have Firefox 30.0, though its pretty useless for majority of sites, and I never got video to work on it...mostly just used to store bookmarks, after having lost most of them when I had to uninstall/re-install SRWare Iron. I now have a backup, using AbiWord to catalog bookmarks. Did you manage to get that anti-adblock thingie working with uBlock Origin?

trimis, Dec 5, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  7. trimis

cmccaff1

To amend my last message here, I have a completely different setup again. This time, it absolutely HAS been finalized and will NOT be changed. It took a lot of trial and error, but now I have a collection of software that's about as good as any you will find on a given Windows XP installation. To briefly elaborate, I'm now using:

-Centaury 52.9.0 (the first [and, to date, only] public release of feodor2's Basilisk UXP fork for Windows XP; it has some bugs but is overall quite a bit better than Firefox 52)
    -Mypal 28.0.1 (the first public release of feodor2's Pale Moon 28 fork for Windows XP; in my experiences 28.1.0 and 28.2.1 have some bugs, while 28.0.1 runs more stable)
    -CCleaner 5.32 (the last version released before the Avast takeover)
    -Defraggler 1.21 (2.21 was the last version released before Avast acquired Piriform, but 1.21 runs much faster and doesn't have the bloat/unnecessary features of 2.xx)
    -Disk Cleaner 1.8.1795 (the latest version [and likely last since it hasn't been officially updated since 2010];it does cover a few bases that even this modern CCleaner misses)
    -VLC Media Player 1.1.11 (the last reliable version in my experiences--slim, trim, and will run well even on my old Pentium 4 [which can't be said for the 2.x or 3.x series])
    -Winamp 5.8 (the latest version--though it is technically a leaked beta, it has been sanctioned as an official release and from what I understand will end up being the last version of Winamp to retain the classic 'thunderbolt' logo as well as the classic theme; it runs just as fast as Winamp 2.79 did, which is stunning given how much newer it is)
    -MS Office 97 (I could 'upgrade' to 2010 [or 2003 if I want to retain the sane interface], but 97 is doing everything I need it to do for documents/presentations/spreadsheets; its compatibility with legacy OSes [it'll work even on 95/NT 3.51] is icing on the cake)
    -7Zip 18.05 (the latest version; still compatible with XP, and still perfect for .7z files)
    -WinRAR 5.40 (the last version released before RAR5 became the default for .rar compression; because RAR5 is incompatible with older versions of WinRAR [and WinRAR 5.x will not run on older versions of Windows], I plan to stay far away from it)

I also have the Inexperience Patcher (version 0.7.2, which is the latest release [and likely last, since it hasn't been updated in ten years]) installed, which replaces many of XP's built-in components with their counterparts from Windows 2000 (along with some odds and ends from Windows ME and betas of Whistler). I'm also using a Windows 98 theme from themeworld.com which has the 256-color icons from 98/98SE (ironically enough, it was designed for 95, perhaps with those who couldn't afford [or didn't want] to upgrade in mind), but have applied some tweaks (restoring the default classic look and setting a different wallpaper as well as shutdown sound). All of this is running on an HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF with a 3.5GHz Core i5-4690 (Haswell) processor, 8GB of RAM (only 3.4GB is usable in XP without tweaks, but that's more than enough for me), a DVD drive (not a burner, but since I rarely burn discs anyway that's not a big deal), and a 500GB HDD. I still have the HP Pavilion Slimline S5-1020 and DC5000 SFF PCs, and will be holding onto them since they're still fast and can definitely come in handy as spares in the future.

Mypal/Pale Moon 28 is an interesting beast as far as its programming is concerned; it's built upon the UXP engine which Centaury/Basilisk also uses (which is based on Firefox 52), but still retains some legacy code which gives it compatibility with quite a few pre-Australis extensions that haven't been properly forked to Pale Moon (like QuickJava 2.0.4.1) and ones that have (like Michael Walden's "Foxscape" theme, available for Mypal/Pale Moon as "Moonscape").

Firefox 30 is not too bad, but of course later versions are much better. If you want to watch videos in FF, I'd upgrade to a newer version (either the 45ESR or 52ESR series). I honestly don't use uBlock Origin, or any other ad-blockers, anymore...ever since I discovered Dan Pollock's custom HOSTS file, I've been sticking with and using it each day with no problems. It does what it's meant to do (keep your PC from connecting to malicious servers/networks/websites), and creates less of a sense of a guilt in that no honest/decent sites are being deprived of advertising revenue.

Sorry about the long message--I guess I had a lot to say today!

cmccaff1, Dec 5, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  8. trimis

WindowsXPforever

Even if you disable all the updating on ccleaner you will be updated to ccleaner 5.46.Better of disabling internet for ccleanervin the firewall!

WindowsXPforever, Dec 5, 2018
  9. trimis

cmccaff1

As far as I know, the auto-update to 5.46 is a known problem that only started becoming an issue with 5.34 (the first CCleaner release following the Avast takeover). 5.32 is the last version released before Avast acquired Piriform, and in my experiences is unaffected.

cmccaff1, Dec 5, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  10. trimis

Elizabeth23

5.26.5937 does not update itself ever, had this version a long time.

Elizabeth23, Dec 6, 2018
    trimis, WindowsXPforever and cmccaff1 like this.
  11. trimis

trimis

Don't know if I should start another thread or not, so I'll just continue on here. I have Mypal 28.1.0. Been looking over GitHub, and it seems like there are new versions now:

mypal-28.3.1.win32.installer.exe
    mypal-28.2.2.win32.installer.exe

Should I try to update? Uninstall the one I have first? Backup all the bookmarks to AbiWord prior? Also, anybody got any info on this:
    centaury-0.0.3.win32.installer.exe
    Google is not giving up anything on it...just takes me to GitHub. Is it part of Mypal, or something else?

trimis, Jan 30, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  12. trimis

cmccaff1

28.3.1 and 0.0.3 are the latest versions of Mypal and Centaury respectively! I still use Mypal 28.0.1 and Centaury 52.9.0 (0.0.1)--later versions I've tried had certain glitches that these first releases don't seem to suffer from, but I will say I haven't tried the latest versions you listed. I just might have to give them a go and see what happens! Centaury is a fork of Basilisk, which is made by the same team behind Pale Moon (of which Mypal is a fork, though I'm sure that's already been established in this thread by now, hopefully!).

cmccaff1, Jan 30, 2019
    trimis likes this.
  13. trimis

ClippyBeer

Yes MyPal appears to be identical to Palemoon - the only difference I can see is the option to make MyPal portable.

ClippyBeer, Jan 30, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  14. trimis

Elizabeth23

mypal can be installed over the previous version, but I like to install new, so I copy my profile folder to my desktop for my logins and bookmarks, :) If you install over the old then your logins and bookmarks will remain.

Elizabeth23, Jan 30, 2019
  15. trimis

Lockherup

You should upgrade because the newer mypal 2.2 also plays youtube live, which the 0.1 version didn't.

Lockherup, Jan 30, 2019
  16. trimis

cmccaff1

Well, there's my reason to upgrade! Thank you for the info--I actually hadn't tried YouTube Live, but normal YT videos play fine in Mypal 28.0.1 and Centaury 0.0.1.

cmccaff1, Jan 30, 2019
  17. trimis

trimis

I have CCleaner 5.46, and have frozen it's ability to update via the firewall. Is there a problem with version 5.46? It seems to be working okay when I use it to clear the remnants BleachBit and Click&Clean leaves behind, so I never thought to ask before.

trimis, Feb 2, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  18. trimis

trimis

So should I stick with Mypal 28.1.0? Its only problem is it tends to freeze up after a couple hours (or sooner if more than a couple windows/tabs are open). Otherwise it's the only reliable browser I have that plays video. SRWare Iron does also, but the chance it will not block me (via certificate errors) from any given site is about 50/50, so definitely not reliable.

How is Centaury treating you? Video and all working? Should I give it a try? Will it install without me having to fuss with it (my success rate with 7-Zip and similar junk is not good)?

trimis, Feb 2, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  19. trimis

trimis

Yeah, I guess I would try for the "install over the old" as this stuff:
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/recovering-important-data-from-an-old-profile
    ....looks like a major pain!

trimis, Feb 2, 2019
  20. trimis

cmccaff1

Sorry about the late response, trimis! Centaury 0.0.3 and MyPal 28.3.1 are working VERY well for me--it took some time, but feodor2 has been able to get his forks to a very solid level of stability. Crashes of no sort have happened since I installed these latest versions of Centaury and MyPal (well, latest as of the time of typing this message). Videos work fine--it's solid all the way around! Funny though it may seem, however, I'm actually typing this from Opera 9.27 (an ancient browser by today's standards, but I can actually still access a lot of sites with it even in 2019, and it'll even work on 95 & NT 4.0 [making it a fine choice if you have a PC that isn't powerful enough for XP, but that you still want to be able to surf the Internet with]).

cmccaff1, Feb 3, 2019
    trimis likes this.
Ask a Question