XP not allowing FoxPro to start up after showing the application's splash sc

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by PAL in Thailand, Oct 6, 2016.

1. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

checked to see if you had any reply, will check back later today. :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 26, 2016
  2. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

28 oct, did it work??

Elizabeth23, Oct 28, 2016
  3. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

XP not allowing FoxPro to start up ...

Things have been a bit hectic at this end. You may or may not know that Thailand's beloved and respected King passed away very recently and there continue to be many memorial activities set up by every branch of the bureaucracy. People are urged to participate as much as they can, and I, being retired, have been roped in to help a bit more than others who are occupied with their daily activities.

I've had to spend lots of time in preparing the venues used to sign memorial books, temple ceremonies for the deceased King, etc, etc.

I'll post again when I can get myself freed up a bit more.

This forum doesn't seem to provide a notiification of up-dated postings and replies, does it? Or have I not looked in the right place to activate such a notice?

PAL in Thailand, Oct 29, 2016
  4. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

Okay, don't wear yourself too thin, :)

you could send a PM to IAN, he is the site administrator, but I generally check the site several times a day for updates. :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 29, 2016
  5. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

reply 2:

if you click on quick links , in the black bar under the site Heading, you will find a link to subscribed threads, not sure what type of notification you can get as I do not use this service.

http://www.xpforums.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_subscriptions
    also, the FAQ link in the same box will lead to the above where it describes subscribing to a thread which will give periodic email

when I see that someone is on the forum at the same time as me, (the little light bulb by your name will be lit,) then I just refresh the page every now and then to see if a reply has come back.

Elizabeth23, Oct 29, 2016
  6. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

Of the original 20 keys in the PC that seemed related to FoxPro, going through each of them via Notepad to remove any un-related-to-foxpro data and values, left me with 13 keys that are ready to move into the Mini's registry -- when I find some more free time. Your earlier posting made the cleaning up of non-related foxpro stuff an easy job. Thx. More in a couple of days I guess.... ;)

PAL in Thailand, Oct 31, 2016
  7. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

okey dokey, will check back :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 31, 2016
  8. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

Did a little test this morning during the wee hours of the morning while there was
    nobody else up and around to bother me and here are the results:

Opened the Mini.
    Connected the external drive (where yessterday's notepad editing work was still stored).
    Opened regedit.
    Clicked 'Import' and was asked 'from where'.
    Selected the proper folder in the external drive.
    Pointed to the firsst key and got this message:
    "Registry Editor: Information in E:\FoxPro Movements\
    From PC\HKEY_CURRENT_USER_Software_Microsoft_
    Search Assistant_ACMru_5603.reg has been successfully
    entered into the registry."

I didn't get to use 'Merge'... HHmmmm...

Curious as I am, I followed the imported Key details and found the following:
    000 = "wfpodbc.dll"
    001 = "Mozilla Thunderbird 14.0"
    002 = "tables_"
    003 = "Download Manager"
    004 = "vidala"
    005 = "tables_probs.txt"xp_free_small.zip"
    006 = "driver license"
    007 = "fpw"
    008 = "fpw26"
    009 = "wfp"
    010 = "wfpodbc.dll"
    011 = "winzip"
    012 = "foxpro.ini"
    013 = "Registry"
    014 = "Reistry"
    015 = "Foxfont"
    016 = "DirPrnInfo"
    017 = "PAL Registry"
    018 = "winzip.exe"
    019 = "command.com"
    020 = "config.sys"
    021 = "window search service"
    022 = "registry probs.txt"
    023 = 1430
    024 = "Suwit"

Of all this data, only items 000, 007, 008, 009, 010, 012 came from
    the PC key. Everything seemed to have gotten properly appended in a correct numerical order.

Does the above sound as if the test was successful? If so, I will continue with the remaining 12 keys. How #014, with itelling error, got where it is, is beyond me. All the other items seem vaguely famil iar. I gather that regedit is one smart and clever piece of software. And your directions and guidance have made all the above possible Thanks indeed!

P.S. #1. Do you pass out gold, silver or bronze stars to your supplicants?
    P.S. #2. Of course, there's still more work to do before we get to taste the pudding as the old saw says.

PAL in Thailand, Nov 1, 2016
  9. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

I have never used the import key, what is written in notepad is what should appear in the registry, no changes.

I would copy the .reg file from your external drive and then DOUBLE CLICK the .reg file to merge.

Note, I would delete that particular key that you did the test in.

If you wish to test "merge", on the mini, go to the registry, chose a key under software for a program that is not running at the time, export it to your desktop, call it test, save and exit. Then delete that key in the registry, Then double click on the .reg called test on your desktop and it will merge with the registry, you can check it by looking back in the registry, and it should be back in the place from where you deleted it.

===============

for example:
    I deleted a key and below is what shows with notepad, then I double clicked on the .reg file and was asked if I want to merge, I said ok and then got a sucessfully merged message.

this is an image of the merge question:

[​IMG]

below is image of success:

[​IMG]

=====================

and by the way ACMru keys are just a listing of what you have searched for using Search. not a necessary key for the operation of any program :)

===================

by using the import button in regedit, I did not get the merge question but I did get the sucessful message.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    Elizabeth23, Nov 1, 2016
  10. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

reply no 2:

I forgot to tell you to check one more thing on your keys, make sure that any key that references a drive, for example C:, is the same drive that you are going to put your program on in the mini,

for example if the program on the PC was on C: and you are going to put it on the MINI on D:, then make sure your keys all reflect D: when any reference is given to a drive.

Elizabeth23, Nov 1, 2016
  11. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

and finally reply no 3:

yes your test was successful, :)

and you get to give yourself a gold star once we are successful in getting your program to work, :)

Elizabeth23, Nov 1, 2016
  12. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

Great! During the day, I'm at an office where I have to keep busy. I'll continue with the remaining 12 keys this evening after supper at home. I'll then copy over the FoxPro folder (there was only one) from the PC to a similar location on the Mini .... and of course, try it out so I can get back to you! Thanks!

P.S. I'm really looking forward to my gold star! HHmmm...

PAL in Thailand, Nov 2, 2016
  13. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

I've changed the Thread subscription from "Do not subscribe" to "Instant mail notification" as you suggested. Thanks!

PAL in Thailand, Nov 2, 2016
  14. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

okay, will check back, :)

Elizabeth23, Nov 2, 2016
  15. PAL in Thailand

tienkhoanguyen

By experience...

Jesus Christ! I went through a close call about ten years ago. I had a valid store bought XP with key and all. However I didn't know you couldn't sell it for profit. So guess what? I got a surprise call telling me to take my ad off or I could be fined $50,000.00 USD. So I took it off. So be careful to stay on the good side of the law the best you can. I know from first hand experience being poor makes you want to keep your expenses down. However I also know you have to do what you need to to survive. I've been through much in my life and I tell ya being out of confinement is way better than locked up. It's not worth 16 years of your life for a small break. Imagine if it was more than an intention you might be sitting there all your life and lost your freedom. My name is Nguyen Khoa Tien. I learned the hard way from the school of hard knocks never to make even the smallest mistakes.

tienkhoanguyen, Nov 2, 2016
  16. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

First of all, have you seen the strange post by a "tienkhoanguyen" on this thread? Profanity to start off and nothing to do with the problem at hand. Is there some way to delete that particular item?

Secondly, I got to work Importing the remaining Keys but was surprised that two of them did not work. I received a message for each of them that "Error accessing the registry." One was for HKEY_CURRENT_USER.............. and the other was for HKEY_USERS...........

Your suggestions? I used the same procedures in exporting from the PC, editing with NotePad on all the FoxPro related items, including these two mavericks. HHmmm...

Over and out!

PAL in Thailand, Nov 3, 2016
  17. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

copy/paste the two registry keys here ( open with notepad and copy and paste the contents here, not the .reg file)

they could be keys that are generated with the use of foxpro and not keys necessary to the operation of the program.

read through this thread where it talks about leaving those out for now or putting them in specific control set sections

what you can do is change permissions also, in the HEADING of the key you are trying to import, right click and choose permissions, highlight everyone and click ok, then try the importation, and do not forget to change the permissions back again.

[​IMG]

above shows a key permission being changed

Elizabeth23, Nov 3, 2016
  18. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

reply 2, you would have to talk to a website administrator to remove the post, I just ignored it. :)

the little red triangle at top right of a post is what you can click to report abuse.

Elizabeth23, Nov 3, 2016
  19. PAL in Thailand

tienkhoanguyen

Thank you. Today I just tried to re-activate my xp for the 10th time and I found out that not only is the server disconnected but also the telephone center. So it could be your FoxPro is too old and would not be supported anymore for activation. If you have any proof that you have a backup you could go to torrent sites and download a working copy. Just make sure you have the proof ready just in case you go to court. Also be careful not all torrents are free from defects and could spread. As an example Microsoft no longer supports xp so you need a way to activate it. The only way to do that without the server since it's no longer supported is through torrent. P.S. I like God's son since I have eternal life hehe

tienkhoanguyen, Nov 3, 2016
  20. PAL in Thailand

tienkhoanguyen

Well since I have a legal product and legal key of my own I decided I want to keep using Windows XP. After all I'm only installing it on my own system. So I tried going to a torrent site to download two activators and no luck. It also has a bad virus that shut down my whole system! Remember torrent site usually have a skull identified with it for a reason. So be weary. Lucky for me I have a backup of my system being restored now. It's going to be a pain waiting for 3+ hours for it to complete from the other hard drive partition. That's better than using DVDs unless you wiped your hard drive. If Microsoft would not support their softwares anymore than you could use VirtualBox and save the machine state. However you need the original key first. I've been in computers since I was 8 years old so I have a total of 30+ years give or take with 20 year break; That means I only have 10 years worth of knowledge of computer science. I've been through many systems and I love XP for the built in DOS and speed but now a days its giving me problems like your FoxPro.

tienkhoanguyen, Nov 3, 2016
Ask a Question