XP not allowing FoxPro to start up after showing the application's splash sc

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by PAL in Thailand, Oct 6, 2016.

1. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

XP not allowing FoxPro to start up ...

I am attaching a zipped file containing an Excel File with two worksheets (PC & Mini) which contain what regedit found on both the PC (no FoxPro problem) and the Mini (which won't launch properly) FYI.

I note you advise to have but one instance of FoxPro set up on the Mini, so I will uninstall the newer version which I downloaded from the Internet (but which ended up having the same as the Mini's FoxPro -- i.e. brief splash screen which just disappears. This I will do after sending the zipped file to you.

I'll check in on Wednesday to read your comments and suggestions.

Attached Files:

PAL in Thailand, Oct 18, 2016
  2. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

Hi, I have looked at both the registry entries, but they do not tell me much. :)
    ===============

what I would do:

do a search on the PC for all foxpro folders

copy all to a flash drive, and make sure that you know where each folder came from, for example was it in Program Files, and/or Documents and Settings, and/or system32...etc.

on the mini uninstall foxpro, (do a search of the drive for all foxpro listings, make sure that folder options has Show hidden folders checked) and delete everything

in the registry, on the mini delete all foxpro listings and copy each registry listing from the PC to the Mini

copy all folders for foxpro from the flashdrive to the mini, Make sure they go into the same place on the drive that you removed them from.

this will give you exactly what is on the PC and then foxpro should start on the mini,

let me know. :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Elizabeth23, Oct 18, 2016
  3. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

Wow!!!!

Sounds like it's time for the BIG hammer. :eek: Once I have completed what you have suggested, all-the-while keeping as many fingers crossed as I can, I'll get back to you with the resuslts. I may be out of touch for a spell .... hhmmmm ..... :p

PAL in Thailand, Oct 19, 2016
  4. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

okay will check back often, :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 19, 2016
  5. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

Several questions!! Your earlier posting asked me to "in the registry, on the mini delete all foxpro listings..." Does that mean delete all the Mini's 56 keys and all their accompanying data values that are related to FoxPro?

Secondly. Is there an easy way to copy the PC's registry keys and related data values for getting them into the Mini's registery (i.e. a separate machine)? The two machines are not connected through any LAN or other way which might make a copy and paste operation work more smoothly.

So far, I have deleted all Foxpro folders from the Mini and have the PC's Foxpro folder(s) ready to transfer into the Mini.

It's the registry that I don't seem to come up with an easy way to get the details off the PC for transferring into the Mini.

Any suggestions or is it all a manual operation?

PAL in Thailand, Oct 20, 2016
  6. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

First, yes delete All of the MINI's registry keys pertaining to FoxPro. when you finish the Mini should have nothing dealing with FoxPro, this is what would normally happen when you uninstall and reinstall the program.

Second, in the registry, right click on a key, there will be an option to Export, click on this and a dialog box will open asking you where you want to export the key , attach a flash drive and export to the flash drive.

This will NOT delete the key from the PC registry, it just copies it.

once you have all the registry keys from the PC, then you can take the flash drive to the MINI and to insert a key to the registry of the mini all you have to do is double click on the .reg, it will ask you if you want to merge the key with the registry , you click yes and it should come back with okay, done. :)

Do this for each one, tedious I know and there is a way to make the entire set of .regs to enter at once but I do not know how to create the batch file to do this.

I do not know of an easier way. :(

Elizabeth23, Oct 20, 2016
  7. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

OK! Your explanation is quite clear -- so I'll delete all the 56 FoxPro keys on the Mini and then crank up the PC to export (or copy) the 20 keys that a regedit search located to a thumb drive and then move the thumb drive into the Mini and import the same 20 keys into the Mini's registry.

With my fingers crossed! Will get back to you when this monumental task is completed. Thanks for your patience too! :)

By the way, how many threads do you juggle through in the course of a single day? I'm sure I'm not the only fellow with headaches that need a guiding hand for a solution that works. Do you do what you do as an avocation? Are you on some kind of contract that provides some remuneration for all your time? Just curious :rolleyes:

PAL in Thailand, Oct 21, 2016
  8. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

I will keep my fingers crossed also, :)

I am just a computer operator that does not like to pay to have my pc fixed, so I started learning and following the forums and reading and experimenting. there is a lot I do not know , but I try to find answers. My paid work is general maintenance at an apartment complex, or right now I am restoring a 66' Bronco. Kind of like a jack of all trades, just not brain surgery, cannot find anyone to let me practice on them. :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 21, 2016
  9. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

Enjoyed your last post very much! ;)

A few more observations & questions regarding the registries before proceeding:

Please open and refer to the attached file "PAL Registry2.zip" and view the "HP-Mini" worksheet.

I have hi-lighted in red any item that specifically refers to "FoxPro" in either Columns N or B.
    These are the only registry entries that I intend to delete.

The un-hi-lighted or black items are of two categories (identical except for the field UsageCount'):
    a) those found in BOTH the PC and the HP-Mini, i.e.
    for the PC: Items 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16.
    ( 'UsageCount's DATA is '0x00000000 (6)' ) and
    (File "Windows\System32\vfpodbc.dll" exists on BOTH the C:\ and D:\ drives)

for the HP-Mini: Items 38, 39, 40, 41, and 42.
    ( 'UsageCount's DATA is '0x00000002 (2)' ) and
    (File "Windows\System32\vfpodbc.dll" exists on ONLY the C:\ drive)

b) those whose 'DATA' are related to "D:\NewFoxPro\xxxxxx" which are the source files
    downloaded from the Internet for the new 2nd instance of FoxPro I had installed on the
    Mini -- but did not successfully solve FoxPro's inability to launch properly. The folder
    "D:\NewFoxPro" still exists with its unopened source files on the Mini. However, the
    2nd instance of FoxPro I had installed for testing has already been deleted/uninstalled from drive D:\.

My questions:
    1) May I leave the "D:\NewFoxPro" folder on the Mini?
    2) Do I have to delete any Mini registry items that relate to "D:\NewFoxPro\xxxxxx" [ 18 items ] ?
    3) Do I have to delete item #45, i.e. "D:\My Documents\Downloads\Moving from FoxPro 2.x to Visual FoxPro 5.0.htm" ?
    4) Can I proceed to delete all and only the red hi-lighted items in the HP-Mini worksheet?
    5) Do you have any further comments or suggestions?

If not, I shall confidently begin the task of cleaning out the Mini's registry.

Attached Files:

PAL in Thailand, Oct 22, 2016
  10. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

Yes, delete everything on the mini, I want to start with a fresh clean slate.
    yes, all registry entries, you will only have the registries that are from the PC, they will be the only ones to be in the mini, ones that were in both is irrelevant as you will be deleting any in the mini and importing ALL the ones from the PC.

as for questions 3 and 4, answered above, the mini will have no listing anywhere to refer to foxpro. :)

my only question at this time is are all your program files on D:, is your main os on c:?? sometimes programs get confused if they are not installed on c:.

I did not see that on your attachment on line 45. I do not know what it means, is visual foxpro part of the same foxpro program??

Elizabeth23, Oct 22, 2016
  11. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

OK! Everything related to FoxPro on the Mini is to be deleted (files, folders and registry entries).

Item #45 was a document I located on the Internet when searching for a 2.6 version of FoxPro to replace the original version I had on the Mini. How the regedit search located that item while searching for "foxpro" is beyond me. I have always though Visual FoxPro was a completely different program than just plain FoxPro for Windows. I have never been very enthusiastic with having to relearn my coding by figuring VFP's Object Programming language.

My Windows XP, SP3 is installed on drive C:\. I seem to recall that the PC had its working copy of FoxPro on its drive D: ( that's something I have to check out for sure when I get back home later in the day ). Most programs are on C;, but I spied Mozzilla Thunderbird on D: in the Mini.

I'll start deleting the Mini's registry's entries regarding foxpro today.

PAL in Thailand, Oct 24, 2016
  12. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Oct 24, 2016
  13. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Oct 24, 2016
  14. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

Are you there?? :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 25, 2016
  15. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

Almost there! :D Recall that I mentioned that I had downloaded a new FoxPro 2.6 from the Internet. I got it at http://www.WinWorldPC.com but don't expect to use it -- just copy the working FoxPro folder from the PC over to the Mini as the last item on your list. Visual FoxPro is/was Microsoft's attempt to spruce up FoxPro 2.6, but I've never been attracted to VFP because of its object-oriented coding. Plain and simple FoxPro 2.6 did and does all I ever wanted or needed to do for my simple programing needs. :)

Some notes:
    1) on the PC, my drive C:\ has a capacity of 150GB with free space of 147GB. Drive C:\ has 20 folders and 35 files. One of the folders is "Program Files" which only has 2 folders and 35 files. Another of the folders is "Windows". The desktop icon to launch a working FoxPro points to D:\FPW26

2) on the PC again, my drive D:\ has a capacity of 315GB with free space of 294GB. Drive D:\ has 52 folders and 48 files. Of the 52 folders, one of them is "FPW26, another is "Program Files", and yet another is "Windows". The "Program Files" folder contains 142 folders and 11 files. So it would seem that most of my programs are on Drive D:\ and not on Drive C:\ -- which can't be all bad, because that's where my presently working copy of FoxPro 2.6 is located.

3) my Mini is a 32-bit machine.

Progress report for the Mini:
    All old FoxPro files and folders have been deleted/uninstalled.
    All registry items related to FoxPro have been deleted.
    An external drive is holding all the PC's registry items relating to FoxPro and it's ready to be connected to the Mini.

Curious, I right-clicked on the first of the PC's 20 exported registry items and got the following choices:

Merge
    Edit
    Print
    Scan with AVG
    Open with ....
    Add to Zip
    Add to "NameOfKey.zip"
    Zip & Email "NameOfKey.zip"Scan with Malwares Bytes Anti-Malware
    ----------------------------------------------
    Send to
    Cut
    Copy
    Create Shortcut
    Delete
    Rename
    Properties

so, of course, I thought I'd best check with you before proceeding any further.

I presume "Merge" is the way to go. What will it actually do when selected?

Note: I noted that a number of registry keys had LOTS of 'NAME', 'TYPE', and 'DATA' values attached to them with only 1 or 2 details relating to FoxPro 2.6; did EVERYTHING on those keys get exported? Will EVERYTHING get imported to the Mini? Is that why there is an "Edit" choice upon clicking on any one exported registry key -- to get rid of the un-FoxPro material in the Key?

What's the transfer process? IMPORT then Merge? Merge all by itself? Merge then Import? Or something else? :confused:

Once the 20 keys are imported/merged into the Mini's registry, should I check to see how it compares to the PC's Foxpro-related keys before copying the PC's "FoxPro" folder and files over to its new location on the Mini?

P.S. I've never fiddled around so deeply into ANY registry of all the computers that I have!!!!!

PAL in Thailand, Oct 25, 2016
  16. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

Reply 2: almost forgot!!!!

A good descriptive name for the software is "FoxPro 2.6 for Windows XP". That's what I use for my Internet searches.

PAL in Thailand, Oct 25, 2016
  17. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

Yes merge, if it is a .reg file you can just double click it and it will merge, you will be asked if you want to do this say yes, and it should come back saying it is successful.

What is does is places the key/type/data/value, into the registry, so that if you have a .reg that is going to be in HKLM, Software, it will appear there.

when you export, what you have highlighted or what you right click on is what will be copied to the key.

Now, if there is a key that has data and values for a program that is NOT connected with foxpro, open the .reg with notepad< by right clicking and choosing open with and then you can either delete what is not necessary in the key and then save and then x out of the notepad and then merge the .reg file.

when you have the .reg file either on your desktop or on an attached flash drive, you will merge it. registry uses IMPORT as COPY , and MERGE as PASTE , functions.

you can do the registry and then the files and/or the files and then the registry. when you install a software program, this is all done automatically with the installer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/demystifying-the-windows-registry/

above is a good tutorial on the registry. Working with the registry is similar to actually telling someone what to do, you are instructing the computer to do this, that is why it is very important to back up the registry, in case you make a mistake, I gave you the link to ERUNT, which is a great registry backup freeware, there is of course System Restore, but that is not as good as ERUNT. :)

I had never done much either, but once I started, it got easier as I did more and more, I made a few mistakes when I was first learning, but all I did was reinstall and start over, :)

18. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

reply 2: since foxpro is a paid program, I could not find any really good downloads. You just have to be careful to scan you download with your antivirus and with Malwarebytes free, and you do realize that AVG no longer supports xp??

19. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

20. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

No. 4, it's after midnight here, I will be up for another 20 minutes or so. :)

Ask a Question