XP not allowing FoxPro to start up after showing the application's splash sc

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by PAL in Thailand, Oct 6, 2016.

1. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

XP not allowing FoxPro to start up after sbowing the application's splash screen

PAL in Thailand, Nov 16, 2016
  2. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

XP not allowing FoxPro to start up after showing the application's splash screen

Back again! My previous post contained a zipped file whose contents were created in August 16th, 2016. But I spotted another in the same folder ust now. This one is more recent; it's contents were created on November 9, 2016 and this one is included with this post as "Re-image log2.zip". It may be more germane than the first one I sent.

Attached Files:

3. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

XP not allowing FoxPro to start up after showing the appliction's splash screen

And now, having run Checkdisk, I am able to attach it results for your review.

I've not dared to attempt the SFC since you note is should be the last resort. Se be it.

OOps! Upload Errors
    Checkdisk Results.doc:
    Your file of 22.5 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 19.5 KB for this filetype.

OK, then I'll to zip it up.Please see CheckDisk.zip

Attached Files:

4. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

received this error when trying to open the reimage log2.

if the extension .xsl is for an excel sheet the extension should be .xlsx or .xls

====================

your checkdisk is fine, the 0kb in bad sectors is the most important result, the cleaning up concerns files that have been deleted over time, (a lot of time in your case :) ), my reports generally have only 100 or so unused index entries, :D

===================

what is the purpose of inputting your reimage log??
    what does this program do??

will check back, how is the family ??

Elizabeth23, Nov 16, 2016
  5. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

reply 2

as for SFC, I did not mean as a LAST resort, just that it should not be necessary most of the time, but do run it and if you do not change the registry key to show a progress bar just come back in an hour or two and it will show results in event viewer as to start of WFP and the finish of WFP,

Elizabeth23, Nov 16, 2016
  6. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

XP not allowing FoxPro to start up after showing the application's splash screen

Hello Elizabeth23,

It seems that our last three or four posts have been lost in the shuffle somewhere. For example, you mentioned that you were unable to open "Re-Image log2.zip" so I re-did it and posted it along with some comments, but I do not see them on our thread.

Have you any way to check with the moderators about this?

I am attaching the re-done file that caused a problem. It's called "Re-Image log2a.zip"

Attached Files:

PAL in Thailand, Nov 19, 2016
  7. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

Back again! Here's my last message that I did not see as part of our thread. I've already re-sent "Re-Image log2a.zip", but the following should have been shown before (I had written it off-line and had not yet deleted it. Wow! What a fluke!)

HHmm.. The Re-imagelog2.zip file was done the same way I had to do the log1.zip file as the actual Re-image file in question that got stored on my Mini was a dot xml file. I was able to open it simply by double clicking on it. That brought up a Windows Internet Explorer window that just opened the file like snapping one's fingers. It looked very much like an html file on the Internet -- with data taken from my Mini. Maybe I can copy the whole URL the Windows Explorer used and paste it into the next post. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

C:\Program Files\Reimage\Reimage Repair\f4d1a198a7414ab0b47742c119.xml

Yup! There it is! :D

This forum does not allow files with dot xml extensions and that is why I had to zip it up.

I'll redo the one that gave you an error on and post it to you tomorrow.

These 2 questions:
    what is the purpose of inputting your reimage log??
    what does this program do??

caught me off guard. What do you mean or need to know about question #1, i.e. 'inputting your reimage log??'

The second one is about Re-image right? If so, it checks out the Windows OS and can obtain from its online datastore, replacement files for those file the program found to be missing, corrupted or damaged according to some OS standard they are using.

PAL in Thailand, Nov 19, 2016
  8. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

get above error in Internet Explorer

get above error in Firefox.

can you read the log and tell me what it shows if it shows corrupted files??
    can you just copy the file name to the reply??

as for missing replies, you would have to contact Ian the website administrator to point out a flaw in the site coding.

1. you cannot edit a reply after say 10 minutes
    2. go to members above and click on the "I" section and scroll down to Ian and then choose to leave a personal message.

Elizabeth23, Nov 19, 2016
  9. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

Hi! I don't understand why it doesn't work for you. I opened the .xml file up, and copied the Internet page into a Word document. The format's not as easy to read, but the data is all there I've attached Re-Image Log2a.doc for your inspection. Hope this works.

It didn't. The .doc file was too big. I'll zip it up and try again.File is Log2a.doc.zip

Attached Files:

PAL in Thailand, Nov 20, 2016
  10. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

Okay, I have looked at the log and these are files that were replaced??

where did the image program get the files to replace??

are you still using internet explorer?? if so then go to firefox or palemoon Atom for xp, these still support xp so far, internet explorer should be used only with those sites that require IE. :)

and if the reimage program has repaired files then is the foxpro program working now?/

are there any errors in event viewer that deal specifically with foxpro??

Elizabeth23, Nov 20, 2016
  11. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

Re-Image can detect a user's OS. As it analyses the OS, it decides that certain files are "corrupt" or even "missing", and after some time, downloads "clean" files to replace the bad ones. Re-Image maintains a warehouse so-to-speak of OSes and gets its replacement files from that warehouse.

I myself demoted MS Internet Explorer from my sight a long time ago. It apparently is still is in the Mini and Re-Image uses it to show its reports. I myself use Mozilla Firefox as my browser of preference...

Answer: NO! The original problem is still a problem. :confused:

I will do another check of the event viewer and report to you tomorrow.

PAL in Thailand, Nov 21, 2016
  12. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

will check back, :)

Elizabeth23, Nov 21, 2016
  13. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

Hi!

I've checked the event viewer several times now and have not spotted anything that seems even remotely connected to FoxPro. I cleared the logs. Shut the Mini down. Then started it up again and immediately went to click on the FoxProw.exe icon in its directory on drive D: several times ( always with the same results I've been seeing from the beginning ) and then going quickly into the EventViewer to see if anything relating to FoxPro has been recorded. But nothing got recorded about FoxPro's little game.

The mystery continues ... :confused: :confused:

PAL in Thailand, Nov 26, 2016
  14. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

I am pretty much at a loss here, I have tried practically all I can think of.

your files are not corrupt, you have no virus, files are the same on the pc and the mini, no errors, you have run sfc, you have run the .exe fix from doug knox.

You could still reinstall the program since you have the floppies, you would first have to delete all foxpro off the mini as you cannot have two of the same program installed.

after that if it does not still work, I am at a loss. :(

Elizabeth23, Nov 26, 2016
  15. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

Actually, I have NOT YET run the SFC as I opined after you're mentioning that program, that it sounded like the last resort and the directions for running it did sound rather more techy than my 73 years might be able to handle.

Would it make any sense to use my original Win XP Pro to attempt a repair of what the Mini's OS is right now. Even after Re-Image has given it a blessing? Is it even possible or would the original Win XP Pro balk at such an attempt, let alone having to re-install the Service Packs all over again?

PAL in Thailand, Nov 27, 2016
  16. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

a repair is possible, but if the cd is at for example sp2, then the repair would be back to sp2, which would make all programs installed after sp2 have to be installed again, If it were me I would reinstall the whole os before I did a repair as it seems to me that it would be quicker, it takes me 13 hours to do this on my pc as I have a slipstreamed cd with sp3, all the updates I install offline with Portable updates program , I have my antivirus and database on a flash drive and install those offline also, and it takes awhile for me to put in all the registry fixes, set my services and all my programs just the way I like them, I would like to do an image but I only have one drive and my desktop will not install xp from the flash drive only from the cd, I can run multiple rescue scans and or Hiren's from a flash drive, but cannot install xp. but I do not mind reinstalling about once a year, keeps me on my toes, and my system clean. :)

================

sfc is not hard go to start>run> type in sfc /scannow and then press ok, it will as for your install cd, and if you have an sp2 cd some .dlls might have earlier date and/or version.

then you can just go away for a couple of hours and come back and look in event viewer for info logs not sure if it is in applications or system, but when you double click on the event the description will say when WFP started, and a different event will say when WFP finished.

============

you should go ahead and make a slipstreamed cd and/or ISO for flash drive install of your os with the service packs already integrated into the cd you can use nlite for this.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    Elizabeth23, Nov 27, 2016
  17. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

Wow! and HHmmmm...... What you described sounds like I need quite a bit of quality, uninterupted time with the Mini. And time for the coming week starting tomorrow is going to be dedicated to wearing my Group Coordinator's Hat for an HIV Group of people who have been to display their handmade products at a week-long seminar in a neighboring Province. They have not had such an opportunity for quite some time now and are quite excited about this option being sponsored by UNAIDS. It's all related to World AIDS Day as well.

I think it best to take a longish break (1 week) to do my volunteer duty with the Group and when I get back I'll let you know I am back and return to the problem at hand. And it will also give you, my dear friend some time off from my mysteriously-acting FoxPro. OK? Do enjoy the break as much as I will.

Peter

PAL in Thailand, Nov 28, 2016
  18. PAL in Thailand

tienkhoanguyen

Jesus Christ!

Wow x 24 x 57! What I mean to say is I met someone with HIV once. He said he had sex too much and some genes mutated becoming HIV. I read in The Holy Bible that being a sexually active person is a sin. Each time you make love you must be making one baby. That is the reason.

tienkhoanguyen, Nov 28, 2016
  19. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

Ok, will check back, take care! :)

Elizabeth23, Nov 28, 2016
  20. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

XP not allowing FoxPro to start up after sshowing the application's splash screen

I'm back with several observations.

The first one: JAVA proposed to update itself on my Mini and I let it do that. It removed the old version that was on the Mini and installed Java 8 (via jxpinstall.exe). Once that was done, I thought I'd see if the upddate might have made any difference with how FoxPro was performing.

Much to my surprise, after going to drive D:\ where FoxPro now resides and clicking on FOXPROW.EXE, I got this message: [16 bit Windows Subsystem (Pop up window title)] --- "A temporary file needed for initiation could not be created or could not b e written to. Make sure that the directory path exists, and disk space is available. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

Ref: Well, well, well... .jpg

I wonder if this might shed some light on our (my) problem.

The second one: On a separate thumb drive, I have the FoxPro v 2.6; I plugged that thumb drive into the HP PC and logged onto the thumb drive folder containing FoxPro and clicked on FOXPROW.EXE and FoxPro came right up with its splash screen and quickly went on to open its Command window just the way FoxPro has always done for me in the long ago past. I was elated.

So I moved the same thumb drive from the HP PC and inserted it into the Mini. Then I clicked on FOXPROW.EXE and up popped the splash screen which disappeared super fast as usual and I was left with no FoxPro again!!!!

All of which seems to point to some deficiency in the Mini for 100% sure... It's not the actual FoxPro program that is at fault, but the Mini or maybe there is something to the Java message regarding the initialization of FoxPro on the Mini that might explain the why of the problem.

So I share these observations with you in the hope that there may be some light at the other end of the tunnel.

Attached Files:

PAL in Thailand, Dec 4, 2016
Ask a Question