XP not allowing FoxPro to start up after showing the application's splash sc

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by PAL in Thailand, Oct 6, 2016.

1. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

above from this thread

this search page for that error

===============

look on the PC and see if there is a temp folder in windows and copy it to the mini, I am not sure if the temp folder needs to be on c drive or d drive.

but some programs need a temp folder , my antivirus has one that has nothing in it but cannot be deleted.

Elizabeth23, Dec 4, 2016
  2. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

XP not allowing FoxPro to start up after showing the application's splash screen

I've checked what control I have for the
    C:\Documents and Settings\Peter La Ramee\Local Settings\Temp folder and have 2 attachments regarding that. This location was the one mentioned in the error message I got and sent to you.

However, you asked me to check the \WINDOWS\Temp folder. I haven't looked at that one yet, should I?

Attached Files:

PAL in Thailand, Dec 5, 2016
  3. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

the above is from here, and can be used for describing xp's as well

and yes I meant C:\Windows\Temp, you can run TFC from here and it will clean all temp files from your pc, even after cleaned with either disk cleanup or CCleaner,

EDIT: do me a favor and right click on the foxpro icon and/or the foxpro.exe in the folder and choose to RunAS administrator, what happens then??

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    Elizabeth23, Dec 5, 2016
  4. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

Reply no 2:

did we try to start this program in safemode??

chose administrator in safemode and try to run it, what happens??

==================

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/99698-16-bit-ms-dos-subsystem-errorresolved/page-2

read through the entire thread, and on the last page there might be a solution, or you might have to go to geeks to go and do a malware scan with them if this problem continues:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/forum/37-virus-spyware-malware-removal/

read all faq's and start at the point highlighted in yellow, I do not know if they are still doing xp, but it might be worth trying, I am not qualified to interpret a malware scan.

Elizabeth23, Dec 5, 2016
  5. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

XP not allowing FoxPro to staart up after showing the application's splash screen

Did that and the results were identical to before -- splash screen and NADA!

Then restarted the Mini in Safe Mode, clicked the FOXPROW.EXE icon and got the same problem. I also experimented with the Foxpro.ini file which lives in C:\Windows making sure that the Mini's version was identical to the PC's, but the same problem occurred.

Checking the C:\Windows\Temp folder on the PC, there was nothing in the folder. And in D:\Windows\Temp on the PC, there was quite a bit of stuff, but nothing that seemed related to FoxPro.

My next assignment will be with the http://www.geekstogo.com references you've pointed out. As I only use the Mini (99%) and the IBM ThinkPad (1%) for my Internet use, there may be some value to have it checked for malware that may have entered the Mini. Strange that the only item affected seems to be the FoxPro application though! The PC doesn't get connected to the Internet as there's no Internet connection in the village where I live and the PC is not as portable as are the Mini and the IBM.

PAL in Thailand, Dec 7, 2016
  6. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

okay, let me know the link to your thread at geeks to go and also you can post a link to this thread there in you initial post so whoever helps you can see what we have done. :)

Elizabeth23, Dec 7, 2016
  7. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

XP not allowing Foxpro to start up after the application's splash sccreen

Elizabeth! Before doing the geeks-to-go route, would it be good to just do a Windows install instead of a Windows repair? I've got a 2TB external harddisk and could copy EVERYTHING on the MINI over to that for a backup of the data and other softwares.

PAL in Thailand, Dec 9, 2016
  8. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

I prefer to do complete instals, but remember that you most likely have a sata drive and xp cannot be installed on a sata drive without controllers, if the mini has a hidden partition with a recovery section back to factory settings that would be great and then you would only need to install the updates and any service packs that are needed, what was the initial service pack on the mine??

as long as either service pack 1 and/or service pack to are installed then you can go straight to service pack 3, and also is the mini a hewlett packard, because some hewlett packard models need to have a patch installed before installing service pack 3

I like to download and install Portable Updates so I can get most of my updates installed offline BEFORE going to microsoft updates

you first install it (must be done on the machine you will be clean installing)
    then you run search ONLINE, then download , to a flash drive. then after install run search OFFLINE, and install offline.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=root&cid=D7389B68B3A275AD
    above is my onedrive where I have sp3 and ie8 (from Microsoft) if you want to do them separately.

the sp3 from microsoft download center is for xp embedded and I would not want to install that, I do not know why they are not leaving the regular sp3 for IT in their catalog, but that is the one I have in my onedrive.

Just remember you will need to reinstall all your programs, an imaging will have all on the mini ready to replace, but that is the reason we are doing a clean install you do not want an image of a damaged system. :)

just copy any data from documents and have all your programs ready to reinstall, that means the foxpro also.

Elizabeth23, Dec 9, 2016
  9. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

XP not allowing FoxPro to start up after showing the application's splash screen

ELIZABETH23 !!!!! Boy, oh boy, do I have something interesting to tell you, my dear friend.

Today is Saturday. The Library staff where I normally do all my Internet access were away from the Office. So armed with a thumb drive that had 3 copies of FoxPro taken from 3 different machines, i.e. the Mini, the HP PC, and the IBM ThinkPad, I sat myself down at one of their machines (it was a Windows 7 OS) and plugged in the thumb drive with Foxpro1 (from the Mini) and the program zoomed right through the splash screen and presented me with the FoxPro command window just like it had done for years -- with none of the problem that has been plaguing us for a month now! Then I quit FoxPro1 and opened up FoxPro2 (from the PC) and it started up correctly and properly just like it had for years -- with none of the problem that has been plaguing us for a month! Elated, (you can't imagine how elated!) I quit FoxPro2 and opened up FoxPro3 (from the IBM ThinkPad) and once again, it too worked like a charm! Can you beat that?

All of which seems to point out that there is ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM with the FoxPro softwares that I have on all 3 of my machines. And therefore, the culprit that has been so elusive has to be the Mini's Windows XP OS !! Right? Please do correct me if my observation is wrong... :rolleyes:

I have also printed out your last post -- "I prefer to do complete installs, ..." -- as a reference for the next steps to proceed. But I just had to let you know this good news and await your reply for whatever the next step should now be with the Mini.

I eagerly await your comments and suggestions. :eek:

PAL in Thailand, Dec 10, 2016
  10. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

yes it is definitely something with the mini I do not know what so I would say a complete install.

some reference links below:

If your PC is an HP Pavilion, Presario or Media Center and has an AMD processor you need to install this patch before installing SP3 (read through the whole thread)

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01457284

Find out if you have an AMD processor:
    1. Hold down the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt) and hit the Pause Break key
    2. Your processor type is shown in the Computer: section
    not sure if the mini is any of the above. :)

==================

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-xp-2624911

http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Elizabeth23, Dec 10, 2016
  11. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

reply 2: some things I do for a clean install:

Create the Activation Status

Navigate to system32 folder.
    Copy the wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files
    Reinstall XP in the normal manner
    Restart the computer and use the F8 key to bring up the Advanced Boot Options
    Select Minimal Safe Mode using Up and Down Arrow Keys and press Enter.
    Navigate to system32 folder.
    Rename the existing wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files.
    Copy the previously backed up wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files to the system32 folder.
    Reboot the computer.
    ======================

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

=============

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=how+to+use+Nlite,+xp

search page for tips on using nlite

what type of install media do you have??

Elizabeth23, Dec 10, 2016
  12. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

I would like to send you yesterday's Computer Profile Summary created by 'Belarc Advisor', It's an 8 page .html file; how can I get that to you? The forum's permitted attachments don't include .html files !

PAL in Thailand, Dec 11, 2016
  13. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

Back again! I've been able to convert the html file online into a pdf, but its size is 265 kb (vik28-1kua8.pdf). I zipped it up and that brought the size down to 128 kb (PALMiniSummary.zip), but that's still too big for the forum's attachments! Can I email it to you? Do you have some other way for me to send it to you? :eek:

PAL in Thailand, Dec 11, 2016
  14. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

belarc generally has a link for their summaries, I will send a pm with my email and also check on the link to the .html file. :)

Elizabeth23, Dec 11, 2016
  15. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

XP not allowing FoxPro to starting up after showing the application's splash screen

After replying to your pm via my email client, I got the following message:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

r*******[email protected]

Technical details of permanent failure:
    Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain yahoo.com by mta7.am0.yahoodns.net. [66.196.118.35].

The error that the other server returned was:
    554 delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.com account (r*******[email protected]) [0] - mta1380.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

I'm the one who put the asterisks in the above error message to protect your ID. Have I got the correct email for you?

PAL in Thailand, Dec 13, 2016
  16. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

r*******k23@yahoo.com

you forgot the 23, :)

Elizabeth23, Dec 13, 2016
  17. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

XP not allowing FoxPro to start up after showing the appplication's splash screen

HHmmm..... Deeehhhhh! :confused: I'll give it another try. OK? :D

PAL in Thailand, Dec 14, 2016
  18. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

I now have a MS OneDrive which has the Belarc Summary shared in its files. But that did not seem to let me get access to your https://onedrive.live.com/..... with the SP3 you've stashed away in there for sharing...

Next question is this: "Is there some software that let's me collect ALL the drivers that are presently now on the HP Mini before its drive(s) gets wiped when I'm ready to do the clean install of Win XP?" :confused:

PAL in Thailand, Dec 16, 2016
  19. PAL in Thailand

Elizabeth23

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8qZGvx85BR8Vk1YenNhOHBfc28&usp=sharing
    From Mike_Walsh all 3 service packs available for download.

since you cannot get into my onedrive, which quite a few others cannot either. :( do not know why.

I always go to the manufacturer for my drivers and then I have them all on a cd and on a flash drive for when I do a reinstall. You could go to one of these driver sites that let you download all the drivers for your particular machine, but I have never used any of them. you could do a google search on such programs.

are you able to get your drivers from HP

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Mini-110-PC-series/3943764/model/3979287/drivers

enter you specific mini product serial number at the above website.

Elizabeth23, Dec 16, 2016
  20. PAL in Thailand

PAL in Thailand

XP not allowing FoxPro to staart up after showing the application's splash screen

I've visited HP.COM with the details of my HP MINI which are:
    Model: HP MINI 210-1012TU
    Product: WF572PA#AKL
    Serial #: CNF9519PKD

and basically got the Royal Run-around ! Over and over, the same message kept coming back: "Manufacturer warranty has expired". Well, I knew that, but reasoned that it should still be possible to obtain the drivers for the MINI. However, I was more than somewhat disappointed.

After quite some time, I tried to get to Mike Walsh's Service Packs, but that too was a bit of a frustration. Nosing around the Internet, I came across the following item which I thought to be an interesting find:

And I still have SP3 in my Mini's Downloads folder; (it was build 2600) but probably not the very last build.

However, the above doesn't help much for the drivers specific to the HP MINI, does it?

Another point of concern that I wish and need to share with you. A number of months ago, I contacted the Abbot of a Buddhist Forest Temple in Central Thailand I have known for over 5 years and requested permission to be ordained for a period of two months. The Abbot was delighted and agreed. The ordination was scheduled for the end of this December and I would be at the temple for two full months (i.e. January and February, 2017). All of which means that the work-in-progress we have been working on will be interrupted for sure as there still seem to be a number of loose ends before the HP Mini gets its clean install.

I had planned to travel down to the Temple to discuss the ordination arrangements with the Abbot on December 26th. Consequently, I would be away from the Internet during my whole period of ordination and hope that we can get back together in March to continue with our work-in-progress. Could you allow me this time away? If your answer is 'yes', I could signal my return to Chiangsaen, Chiang Rai (that's where I now live) by sending you an email to that effect. :)

Your thoughts, please...

PAL in Thailand, Dec 19, 2016
Ask a Question