What browser will xp users switch to when firefox ends support for xp?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Skeleton11223, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Skeleton11223

trimis

Don't know anything about WMP, as I've never used it, due to its spying and 'phone-home' ability . I'll nuke it with XPLite (along with IE and a bunch of other useless or privacy-invasive components) at the first opportunity.

trimis, May 16, 2018
  2. Skeleton11223

jim davis

I went to the xplite site, and it was explained/written in geekenese, I mean to say I was not trusting of the free/buy feature :eek:
    is this free 4 ever, why do i need it

As well are you saying I can delete internet explorer completely now,
    phone home WHATS that?

jim davis, May 17, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  3. Skeleton11223

trimis

The site:http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html seems pretty understandable to me, and I still consider myself not much better off than a newbie. So far as I know, the free version is free forever, but only the paid version has the increased functionality to remove stuff like IE, which MS really really wants to stop you from ditching. Every component the free version removes from XP, you can remove yourself, but each and every time will be a pain in the rump....the free version of XPLite simply makes the process of uninstalling components easy. The paid version enables you to force uninstall the spyware crap that MS does not want to let you jettison, and it will nuke IE completely, but you need to really look into it first, as I think killing off IE has consequences (like you can no longer make administrator or limited accounts, and possibly other downsides). You would do better to just disable IE, and use XPLite to eradicate WMP. Not sure if the free version can handle that or not. Guess you could download the free version, see what all it will do for you...maybe it will let you uninstall everything you want. If not, you can always upgrade to the paid version. Phone home:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoning_home
    http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=30697
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/04/11/winxp_search_assistant_silently_downloads/
    http://lwn.net/2002/0228/a/ms-dvd.php3

trimis, May 21, 2018
    jim davis likes this.
  4. Skeleton11223

jim davis

Hi Trimis

1. so as i get this, WMP sends all my watching date to MS, EVEN IF I HAVE SAID NO TO EVERYTHING IN THE SHARED PRIVACY PAGE?????

2. I tried to de activate active x based on informit .com, it got way too strange as i got consoles it did not mention, ANY case is there a harm in disabling active X

if i was able to do it, what would my restrictions be.

ALSO what happens if i go in and just delete IE, which i must have done already cause i cant find it anywhere

jim davis, May 23, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  5. Skeleton11223

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, May 23, 2018
    jim davis, Darren Elliott and trimis like this.
  6. Skeleton11223

Darren Elliott

Interesting

Darren Elliott, May 23, 2018
    jim davis likes this.
  7. Skeleton11223

trimis

So far as I know, yes to #1...but I have seen mention of programs like:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/xpy.shtml
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/xp_antispy.html
    which are said to disable at least most of the spyware components, but not I'm not sure. I have XP-Antispy on my PC, but not sure if it is doing much. I always prefer to eliminate spyware, than just co-exist, so XPLite is high on my to-do list, as I want to nuke everything I do not need, and cut XP Pro down to about 900MB size. That doesn't mean you should. A 900 MB sized XP may have a lot less functionality than you would want. I don't need IE, Telnet, Outlook, Remote this and that, etc. All I need XP Pro to do is surf the net, and watch TV shows and movies on the Internet TV freesites. For everything else, I will use the library computers (until I can do everything on a Linux LiveCD). As for #2, so far as I know, if you are not using IE at all, then you probably don't need ActiveX, as I think IE is all that uses it, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable here can confirm or refute that. As for harm, some sites are dependent on ActiveX, and may not display properly without it. There is this: https://www.howtogeek.com/162282/what-activex-controls-are-and-why-theyre-dangerous/
    If you want to test out whether you can live without ActiveX ,you could try:
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/System/sdefend/Freeware.htm
    You have not deleted IE, Windows just knows you are gunning for it, and has it hidden. It's possible you have managed to disable it. The only way to completely eradicate IE is the paid version of XPlite. I am not yet sure just what all restrictions come with nuking IE, as my contact at wilderssecurity only mentioned that one can no longer create any sort of accounts (administrator, limited, etc.), and that there were others, but I lost contact with him so not sure what others. You should probably not risk it. I am on a second-hand Optiplex 755 I got for about $125 on Ebay, which I am using until my custom-build is finished, so I consider it like a test computer to get me ready for the real-deal....which is saying this one is expendable.

trimis, May 23, 2018
    jim davis likes this.
  8. Skeleton11223

jim davis

UPDATE
    I found active x, but all the steps and left/right turns are just too much to fiddle with to kill it, if one has a human life span.

1. K-Lite has a full blown program to watch everything, it takes over WMP completely, DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF USING THE FULL K-LITE PROGRAM BLOWS WMP CLEAN OF SPY WARE ??????????

2. what happens to web viewing if active x is removed????????????

3. DOES K-LITE HAVE SPYWARE, IS IT OPEN SOURCE, CLEAN ETC.??????????/

PS Thanks Liz

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    jim davis, May 23, 2018
  9. Skeleton11223

Elizabeth23

klite is not a spyware scanner, if you have spyware on your pc, then you need to scan it with your antivirus.

I just use the regular size klite , since I do not need to do anything other than listen to music, :)

if you are using IE (which you should not be using) and you need an active x, the website will generally ask you if you want to install the active x. the only active x I had ever used on IE was the one to access microsoft updates.

klite is free, there is an offer for another program but you have the option to decline the installation. I never let any other program get installed except the one I wanted. You have to read each page carefully instead of just clicking next, :) Never got a virus from their download but I always scan all downloads anyway, :)

Elizabeth23, May 23, 2018
  10. Skeleton11223

Darren Elliott

I'll use safari I'm sure

Darren Elliott, May 26, 2018
  11. Skeleton11223

Sixthofmay

My archiving media over the years:
    Floppy->CDR->DVD-RAM->DVD-R->BD-R->currently two different brand internal 3.5" 2TB harddisks on USB adapters (on XP).

All the 2.5" harddisks I tried have too high a data density for reliable longterm storage, so I use 3.5" for archive drives (most of my always on RAID1 drives are now 2.5" for physical space and power consumption reasons).

I mainly switched to harddisks because it wasn't practical to automate the process to BD-R (not to mention I had some recordings longer than a BD-R can hold). It's probably now cheaper too. As I have ~200-400GB new data per day during the recording season (14 HDTV tuners on two XP boxes), automation I created was the solution. With it, the amount is whittled down to about 50GB per day on average, which is practical to store 3 copies of (via automation)- two to the 2TB drives, the 3rd copy to my HTPC file server (96TB, soon ~288TB).

I don't download anything that I can buy on Bluray or DVD. I have an XP VM set up just for ripping these. The process used to be brutal and fragile. Newer tools have gotten better but some have date usage restrictions (not a problem with VMWare Player's total control over the VM's clock).

My favorite video player is MPC-HC. It's ok by itself, but it's awesome when combined with FFDShow and my app that stores all the video's important MPC-HC and FFDShow settings into a database for later recall (no the app is not done and it only works on XP).

Umm... wasn't this thread about web browsers?

I seem to be in the minority running (on XP32) a Linux Mint virtual machine with Firefox- currently v53 so all the legacy plugins I rely on work. I disabled updates on all the plugins as some updates will kill the plugin. I cannot function without Classic Theme Restorer and Mozilla Archive format. Sometime in September 2018, Mozilla said MAFF won't work. We'll see about that.... if need be, I'll write an app to fix the issue.

Note for your VM to be reasonably fast, the VM needs to be on a SSD. You also need a FAST XP pagefile.sys or you'll be in page fault hell. Either use a dedicated SSD or for best performance- a RAMDisk using unmanaged RAM. I use Superspeed RAMDisk with 8GB system RAM to give a 5GB ramdisk with a 5GB pagefile.

The downside to running FF on a Linux VM on an XP32 box is there is a limited amount of RAM you can allocate for the VM (and lock in RAM). I've found 1.3GB is the best compromise. This limits the number of web pages you can have open at any given time before Linux goes into pagefault hell.

The other main issue is lack of Abobe Flash support in Linux.... Youtube works via HTML5, but if I didn't have a Windows 7 box with up-to-date antivirus available via VNC, running Firefox, Chrome, and Flash, I'd not be happy- no Spotify on XP or Linux. I have Windows 7 streaming audio to Winamp on my Win2000 jukebox (via Edcast and Icecast). This gives the Spotify audio the same iZotope Ozone DSP effects I use with all my saved music.

There are still many sites that are safe and work on XP with Firefox 52. Wikipedia, Youtube, Bandcamp (Flash) work fine. All the institutional sites I use (banks, etc.) work fine. For today anyway.

For message forums and online stores (Amazon, Staples, etc.) XP is NOT safe. Win7, 8, 10 is NOT safe. Due to third party ads being hosted, you can wipe out all your PCs and data with a SMB virus ransomware attack. Thus I use my Linux VM + FF for any shopping or any unvetted site.

So long term, it'll be a combination of web browsing on XP + FF v52, Linux with FF and/or Chrome, and Windows 7 with FF and/or Chrome depending on the web site. I have like 40 FF profiles on the various PCs. As I share bookmarks via Firefox's cloud share, where to safely open a site is all in my head... I need to figure out a safer solution.

Sixthofmay, Jul 10, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  12. Skeleton11223

jim davis

TRIMIS
    THANK YOU you really do try to help folks and speak english at the same time
    with heart.

I am going off line soon, I prefer to watch Armageddon and the complete melt down of good taste from a distance. doing all this junk to "Keep up with it"
    is just way over the edge for me, when i can go read a book.

TRULY, I gag just going by my e mail news page.

I have 1000 old movies and more and more new ones don't interest me,
    flash drives are so cheap and store so much at 360 and 780 (or whatever) for music,

I NOTE BING :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: IS AT MY WMP OPTIONS AT THE TOP,,,,, LOGO AND ALL, ANY BODY KNOW HOW TO PUT start page there

jim davis, Jul 11, 2018
  13. Skeleton11223

jim davis

WOW all that to watch Cindy Lauper sing """girls just wanna have fun"""

jim davis, Jul 11, 2018
  14. Skeleton11223

esyede

Hello, i found a custom chrome/chromium build called "Advance Chrome" that still works on XP (As said on their website).

The latest build for XP is "Custom Build 54.20.6530.0" released on January 5, 2018. But i can't check it because i'm not on the XP machine right now.

Can anyone help me to check it?
    The link is here: http://browser.taokaizen.com/

Thanks!

esyede, Jul 12, 2018
    jim davis likes this.
  15. Skeleton11223

trimis

Well now, I'm a newcomer to all this, so I started out with DVDs/CDs, and expect to finish with them. Looked at the DVD to Blu-ray comparison at Best Buy store, and wasn't impressed. Not enough improvement for me to buy into it. Been watching the Hollyweird response, and turns out they ain't even putting the stuff I collect on DVD (it's mostly a choice of VHS, or buy a 35mm print and have it converted). The blu-ray crap is all reserved for new movies, which I mostly got no interest in, so can easily live without it.
    Not sure what you mean by 2.5" harddisks. SSDs? I got a couple of those for my custom-build, as Cooler Master CMStorm Trooper has a spot for one. All the other HDDs are regular 3.5" bare disks (for mobile-racks), so I can pop then in and out like an old 8-track tape, although I do have a Thermaltake ST0005U for backups.
    As best as I can figure out, the RAMDisk stuff requires the PC to be always on, while mine is always off when not in use, so don't expect to be using that unless I can figure out some extreme security black-ops usage, but that's years away. My MX Linux 17.1 LiveCD has Shockwave Flash 28.0 r0...not sure if that is the same as the "Abobe Flash support" you mentioned. The rest is beyond my newbie understanding.
    Basically I'm using XP Pro to surf the web, watch Internet-TV free sites, etc., but that has become increasingly difficult due to the CA nazis blockading me from maybe half the URLs via their gawd-awful broken certificates-store embedded in XP. I'm actively seeking to find a coder/programmer that works cheap, to rip out the nasties from a malware like Superfish, leaving me the mitm proxy and bogus uber certificate intact to circumvent the certificates-store. I guess a hundred bucks is not enough to interest anyone at reddit r/forhire, but maybe I'll try a local LUG. Anyway, it's no longer an urgency, as I have discovered that running MX Linux as LiveCD will get me to each and every URL the CA goons had blockaded. Needless to say, next month my tech guy will be installing this distro to the secondary HDD on my current PC, and likely also to my future custom-build. I have been using it in LiveCD mode to teach myself Linux, and to get free of the library computers...I now use it to do online shopping and banking.

trimis, Jul 13, 2018
    jim davis likes this.
  16. Skeleton11223

wyxchari

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    wyxchari, Aug 26, 2018
  17. Skeleton11223

jim davis

THANK YOU LADY ELIZABETH

jim davis, Aug 27, 2018
  18. Skeleton11223

jim davis