What browser will xp users switch to when firefox ends support for xp?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Skeleton11223, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Skeleton11223

trimis

Don't recall for sure, but I think I had this one ~ https://www.filehorse.com/download-pale-moon-32/24282/. I remember doing a Google search for 'last Pale Moon for Windows XP download', and that one at filehorse came up.

Are you having any problem with sites opening a plethora of tabs or windows on Mypal? This one site I favor for movies and TV shows keeps nailing me with five to ten of them each time I click on anything there. I have no clue what I'm using to watch movies. I think I'm 'streaming' them onsite. I do have VLC, Daum, and some other stuff, but not sure if any of that is in play in the background. Here are the main sites I'm using:

https://putlocker9.nl/tv-series

https://putlocker9.nl/movies/library

https://www3.watchfree.ac/search/American+SuperNatural.html

https://www3.watchfree.ac/list/movies.html

https://www3.watchfree.ac/list/tv-series.html

The last three is the site that keeps bombarding me with tabs or windows. Maybe you can check them out and let me know if you have the same problem, or If you can find a circumvention? The adblocker recommended by Mypal is useless there. I downloaded a few addons from Firefox site (like 'Disable Anti-Adblock), but so far, no better.

My custom-build has AMD Phenom x4 9750B (95W), Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P, EVGA E-Geforce 6800 GT 512MB, Asus Xonar D2, three WD Caviar WD1001FALS on mobile racks, one Intel 535 series 180GB SSD, two LG GH24NSC0B burners, and FSP Group Hydro Series 650W power supply, in a Cooler Master CMStorm Trooper SGC-5000-KKN1....the other components are giving me grief to find. No telling how much longer to track down the rest, but fortunately I had the foresight to get this used PC to keep me content til then.

trimis, Sep 18, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  2. Skeleton11223

Elizabeth23

trimis, I tried the putlocer in mypal and firefox, and got bombarded also even with uBlock origin installed in both

last 3 worked fine in both browsers :)

NOTE: when I want to watch a movie or series, I google it first with , for example, watch Bones online free, and then I try several sites to see which one will play best, openload will not let you buffer, streammango is good, but before I click on any button, I right click first and get a message that popups are blocked and then left click with no problems. A lot of the free watching sites have added many ads, but right clicking first usually gets me past that. :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 18, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  3. Skeleton11223

cmccaff1

I haven't experienced any problems with 'tab bombardment' in Opera or Mypal, at least not in quite a while. Usually it depends on what sites you visit...I try to stay away from streaming sites. Oftentimes, I stream YouTube videos through VLC [a 'trick' I use is to go to GenYouTube.net and copy 3gp links into VLC; the 3gp playback uses much less memory/system resources than YT's HTML5 player, and it especially comes in handy on Pentium II/AMD K6-2-era machines that from what I recall would stutter even with Flash Player). For videos from other sites (like Dailymotion), I'll sometimes use Flash Player to watch them, and in other cases where I really enjoy them I'll download them to my flash drive (I know a site that converts Dailymotion vids to 3gp; it takes a long time, but it's worth it).

cmccaff1, Sep 18, 2018
  4. Skeleton11223

Dyehard

When the HDD on my old IBM ThinkPad G40 laptop that contained XP Pro went south I went with antiX Linux.
    The G40 was well endowed with resources ... 3 GHz single core Pentium 4 CPU, 2 GB RAM.
    Found a 40 GB PATA/IDE 7200 rpm HDD still in the plastic that I transplanted into the old laptop.
    Runs as fast or faster under antiX as it did under XP. Idles at about 100 MB RAM. The "1-cylinder" CPU will max out long before anywhere near the 2 GB RAM is used up.

Dyehard, Oct 6, 2020
  5. Skeleton11223

thinkpadder

thinkpadder, Oct 18, 2020
  6. Skeleton11223

flavallee Guest

flavallee, Oct 19, 2020
  7. Skeleton11223

trimis

trimis, Oct 30, 2020
  8. Skeleton11223

thinkpadder

thinkpadder, Nov 1, 2020
  9. Skeleton11223

Mike_Walsh

I don't quite know what difference this'll make to you guys, but I take it y'all ARE aware that Moonchild productions are ceasing production of the 32-bit builds as from the end of this month? AFAIK, this is where the source code for MyPal is obtained from, so this might just chuck a spanner in the works for the remaining XP browsers....

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Nov 18, 2020
  10. Skeleton11223

Darren Elliott

oiooh shister!

Darren Elliott, Nov 19, 2020
  11. Skeleton11223

ClippyBeer

Unfortunate but certainly not unanticipated. Looks like the only remaining developer of 32 bit XP compatible web browsers is Roytam. He maintains MyPal, Serpent, Centaury, K-Meleon-Goanna, New Moon, BOC/UXP and even a Firefox 45 ESR build.

http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser

I've seen other developers abandon software pet projects over the years due to health issues, or worse, marriage + children.

In any event when the time comes when no new XP browsers updates are available you can still use practically any popular website in XP with few exceptions.

Such are the caveats of using legacy operating systems

ClippyBeer, Nov 19, 2020
  12. Skeleton11223

Compaq_8200_Elite

MyPal 28.15.0 (64-bit) on XP 64

Compaq_8200_Elite, Nov 23, 2020
  13. Skeleton11223

Connor McMahon

Oh yeah. i was reading MSFN one day and stumbled upon the forum about FF 52.9.1. So i made this video of me installing it on Windows 2000. The Windows stuff i upload on my Youtube channel is usually Vista extended kernel or Windows 98 with kernelex stuff.

Connor McMahon, Nov 24, 2020
Ask a Question