What browser will xp users switch to when firefox ends support for xp?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Skeleton11223, Feb 20, 2017.

1. So, this Otter browser is basically Pale Moon but for Opera instead of Firefox?

Skeleton11223, Oct 10, 2017
  2. Skeleton11223

Elizabeth23

@ m4sk1n: I tried your link, downloaded, but it is a portable browser, with no option to install and when I ran it, uBlock origin would not install. as for opening and closing websites, it was neither faster or slower than firefox. I am not a developer so was not sure of some of the stuff listed under preferences/options.

will keep for emergencies, but only if I can find a way to install uBlock origin :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 10, 2017
  3. Skeleton11223

trimis

I did a trial of Firefox 3.5 and Opera 9.01 for a few days, before giving both the boot. They were "usable" ,but neither were better than the current versions, which is my only reason to go the legacy route. With the current versions being soooo awful, one would think it would be easy to find replacements, but its not.

trimis, Oct 19, 2017
  4. Skeleton11223

j896

Aol still seems to work i just installed it version 9.8.2..It is now based on chrome and not ie any more..

j896, Oct 21, 2017
  5. Skeleton11223

trimis

Maxthon & Flock works, but has the same problem as Firefox (constantly whining about security certificates). QtWeb works, but the right panel began growing until it became unusable. Hacker Browser 1.0.0.9 works, but was too complicated to deal with. All met their end via IObit Uninstaller. I am now testing Cometbird, SRIron, Comodo Ice Dragon, and Whitehat Aviator. I plan to test drive Superbird 44.0.2403.0, Webgoo 6.0, Runecats Explorer 1.7.2, Clicqz 1.16.0, Waterfox 43.0, Snapso Browser 1.0.1, Black Cat 0.1.1, Qupzilla 2.2.0, Ultimate Web Browser 3.1.1.0, Blackhawk Browser 3.0.195, Pale Moon 26.5.0, Wildfox 0.1, and Dolphin3D Web Browser 1.60 next month. So far, these are the only browsers I can find that will work with XP.

trimis, Oct 29, 2017
    priscus likes this.
  6. Skeleton11223

priscus

Wow.

You have set yourself quite an appraisal exercise.

priscus, Oct 29, 2017
  7. Skeleton11223

trimis

Nothing in life ever comes easy, and so far as I see it, having a user-friendly browser is about the most important item....without it you cannot download a firewall, antivirus, etc., and if you have to constantly fight it to go where you want and do what you want, it ruins the whole internet experience. Too many browsers have adopted the Firefox control-freak stance, and are desperate to be your Mommy, Daddy and Nanny. Years ago it was not like that, and I am determined to find a decent replacement I can live with. Anyway, all the browsers on my to-do list claim to be XP compatible, and I double-checked each one. I should mention these are just the installable sort. I have another list of portable browers, but assumed OP was not interested in those.

trimis, Oct 29, 2017
  8. Skeleton11223

Fil89

accidentally saw this forum and a little surprised that there are many users like abandoned software, for personal use, I had read /. there are also a lot of users who don't like new windows and browsers with Intrusive marketing, now i use opera browser 12.18 , there are some problems with services YouTube html5 360p only ,other sites are working steadily

Fil89, Nov 1, 2017
  9. Skeleton11223

Mike_Walsh

The trouble with the current browser 'market', unfortunately, is that, apart from a few 'oddball' one-offs (like QtWeb, for instance), absolutely everything is based on either Chromium or FireFox.....and FireFox is fast becoming yet another Chromium 'wannabe'.....

You only have to browse any number of forums, where you find similar threads to this, asking what browsers folks run. In nearly every case, the majority of respondents quote Chromium-based browsers of one stripe or another.....because it really is the most efficient browser to use bar none.

I've been using Chrome since the first, 'beta', evaluation pre-release version in Autumn 2008, and haven't looked back since. Google know all there is to know about me (which is precious little, 'cos I'm very careful what I let them find out).

Better the devil you know...!!

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Nov 4, 2017
  10. Skeleton11223

trimis

I cannot promise you that SRWare Iron, Superbird, or the other chromium-based browsers are totally pro-privacy. I can promise you that Chrome is most definitely anti-privacy, and will become more and more invasive with each new version. As for being "very careful what I let them find out", I would doubt you (or anyone) can be that careful:

https://lifehacker.com/5763452/what-data-does-chrome-send-to-google-about-me
    https://medium.com/@prabjyotsingh/are-we-are-trading-our-privacy-for-personalized-web-e8ed75c4dbec
    https://www.computerworld.com/artic...-google-s-biggest-threat-to-your-privacy.html
    https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/6394/google-chrome-browser-privacy-concerns
    https://www.quora.com/How-safe-is-Google-chrome-in-terms-of-privacy

There are a host of other links, but I think these say enough...the devil you know is a wannabe Big Bro. Even without Chrome, thwarting this nosey nancy is a uphill battle. With Chrome, its time for an unconditional surrender.

trimis, Nov 10, 2017
  11. Skeleton11223

cornemuse

Anyone use the 'Tor' browser??
    I have not tried it under XP, but did try with an old comp with Ubuntu, went to a place or two where I had to turn off the comp to exit, who/what ever it was couldnt get in but the comp just froze up. (ubuntu 11.xx? with bars top & bottom, I love that layout. Didja know you can swap the hdd to another different comp and after a while it (ubu) works, no need to reinstall os, , , ,)

-c-

cornemuse, Nov 10, 2017
  12. Skeleton11223

ChirunoIceFairy

Tor is based on ESR Firefox, is a rather insecure protocol and most websites tend to block Tor nodes due to spam and abuse. I'm currently using Maxthon browser which does support XP and seems to have a fairly recent version of WebKit (the UA reports Chrome 55).

ChirunoIceFairy, Nov 11, 2017
  13. Skeleton11223

trimis

I have not tried it yet on XP and will probably put it off as long as possible. Been following Tor threads on wilderssecurity forum, and its real confusing. One faction says you should only use Tor browser, another says only Tor Browser Bundle, then another votes for Vidalia. One faction swears you have to configure it just right, then another says never mess with the default settings. Too confusing for me. I'll likely try it on Linux long before I get the gumption to try it on XP Pro. I've got like 4 or 5 distros that use Tor, waiting to test drive.

trimis, Nov 18, 2017
  14. Skeleton11223

jim davis

I have decided that when i can't use xp i will get off the net, I think this is a wholesome thing to do.

Sept has come and gone and I see/have no problems going out to sites still using what ever fire fox is in my machine, I say what "ever Firefox" I have because I really don't care what it is, life is too short to have this computer wag my dog.

I still find books are the greatest invention ever made.

jim davis, Nov 21, 2017
    Janice and cornemuse like this.
  15. Skeleton11223

cornemuse

Post #54!!!

I'll install FFportable on a thumb & go to the library, , , ,

cornemuse, Nov 23, 2017
  16. Skeleton11223

trimis

That would be a pity. I find the internet one of my few real pleasures left. I used to be able to pick up a book and timewarp two hours away. Now I pick up a book, and within 15 minutes I start to yawn...next to mantra practice books have become the most efficient insomnia cure I know of. Not so with the internet. Today I got on five hours ago and just now realized I been at it for five hours. I'd encourage you to have a 'Plan B', and teach yourself Linux, just in case. If you cannot stand Linux, for whatever reason, there are some other 'generic' operating systems to test drive. None will be able to do all the tricks XP or Linux can, but they will get you on the internet, and can do the very basic stuff.

trimis, Nov 24, 2017
  17. Skeleton11223

esyede

esyede, Apr 5, 2018
  18. Skeleton11223

jim davis

This stuff is a great sadness to read
    sadly Jody is right, I am only on page 1 of this thread, I can't imagine "where dehumanized digitiots will shove me next" as a xp user. I am thinking since I am being shoved a diet of kardashion slop every time I go on the net, it may well be time to get off while i still have a soul left. I mean if your a adult, its just too hard to take net culture seriously, there is not one mail provider with news that even approaches the truth about anything, left or right.

MS 10 is just a camera into your "soul bedroom", everything you do they see, what no one is talking about is XP has HUGGGGGGGGE privacy, put Ghostery , Noscript, Self Destructing Cookie and Start page for a search engine, and the only folks who can watch you are folks who maybe should be able to. I don't care about big brother, but i know as a social worker "folks obsessed with a numbers emotional orientation, like Lewis Carol, who tried to merry a 11 year old are sometimes real nut cases, i don't mean Albert Einstein who was a great humanitarian and loving heart.

Lewis Carol was a infantile idiot savant and was the worlds greatest living math wizard and in wonderland with this stuff, and under house arrest for the most of his life after they found the nude photos of Alice, being a infant himself, he thought her an likely sex partner.

And he loved "Baby Sounding Stuff" --------do you get GOOGLE Yet :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I say its Jabber Wolkie,

And other adult infantile disorder slobber, marshmallow, kit Kat and swings, sliding boards and sand boxes in the cooperate offices, pre pubic hair culture.

Which has nothing to do with the many folks in Comp admin who are often some of the most tasteful folks I know and serve this society well and many times are the only reason the net is not even more of a junk yard, and our over worked Good Elizabeth here is a very good example, its not black or white, its a taste thing, ----:)

Frankly in Adult good taste, I think it may be time to get off the net if XP goes completely dark,
    I know many folks can't do that, they must stay in this junkyard to make a living,
    watch their kids, skype with grand ma, those are real things of the adult heart, I honor them all here in my heart, and am happy for them and cheer them on, they are the hope of this society, but we have raised a generation of "Net infantile Monster's" who are Violent, tasteless and estranged from the warm, beautiful and gorgeous.

And according to the AMA, and sociologist all over the world, half the problem is LED screens, WY fry and micro wave fields, always when ever you find a study not funded by
    "Big Digital"

Greatest decision I ever made was to keep my Hi Def "Bulb Screen" with a half inch of lead doped glass between me and the electron gun.

There is no need to be connected to net to enjoy a good Flash drive library once it's full.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    jim davis, Apr 6, 2018
    Jody Thornton likes this.
  19. Skeleton11223

jim davis

Hello :) Trimis,
    Ha Ha maybe your mind and body wants a nap :D

I think books will save our lives, for me, the highest tech invention ever made is a
    "Table of Contents" plus if you go back 50 years, the authors had mothers,
    and put a huge whole beautiful esthetic in their work that is gone from modern work, plus books don't disrupt your sleep cycle and they make you right brained from "use" which means more "dopamine cascade" over the brain during other activities.

no body every blew their class room away with a normal brain cascade and good sleep cycle.

Enjoy the link- which is early research, now ..............even "little Fake book screens" are associated with cancer from broken melatonin production from "Led hangover sleeping" which is never deep sleep.

https://www.ama-assn.org/ama-adopts-guidance-reduce-harm-high-intensity-street-lights

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    jim davis, Apr 6, 2018
    Janice likes this.
  20. Skeleton11223

trimis

Well, I used to be a big book worm, but they just don't do it for me anymore...although I sure won't be switching to kindle, or similar crapola. Mostly these days I try to find books that are online in PDF format, which I can easily read cover to cover without a yawn. Not that many though. I keep hearing that all books will be 'digitized', but doubt that will happen in my life. Fortunately I have the internet to fill the vacuum.

I find it interesting that the AMA now decides to spurn LED lighting, while remaining silent all the while the powers-that-be were taking away our incandescent lightbulbs, and replacing them with...LED bulbs!

trimis, Apr 7, 2018
    jim davis likes this.
Ask a Question