Can WinXP Pro 64 run all 32bit apps?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by ImWolf, Aug 29, 2019.

1. ImWolf

ClippyBeer

Ugh can't believe I missed the replies.

Clonezilla is very good because it works with every OS I've thrown at it including Linux (I tried several other imaging programs and none could restore Linux EXT4 successfully, not even Acronis.) Yes it is very cryptic as it is written by Linux users for Linux users.

Acronis 2017 is definitely a much better choice and is what I have successfully used to backup AND restore XP, 7, 8.1 and 10 and therefore recommended. Acronis is not free however.

Acronis IS fast and offers good compression as long as you don't select sector-by-sector backup. It also saves to 1 file versus several like Clonezilla.

I'm not sure why you're having problems selecting which USB device to boot from, I have an external USB Toshiba hard drive and am able to select the Acronis USB when both are plugged in on all my computers.

I have never used YUMI, preferring either RUFUS or Easy2Boot. Try Easy2Boot first and see how it goes. Again I suggest using a test PC since you are new to drive imaging. You certainly don't want to accidentally erase the XP machine after all that effort! Get an old PC and install XP, back it up with Acronis, then wipe the hard drive and attempt a restore.

Maybe if I have time this weekend I'll post a mini-guide with screenshots on how to backup and restore XP using Acronis.

ClippyBeer, Oct 11, 2019
  2. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

YUMI is not supported on xpsp3

Elizabeth23, Oct 11, 2019
  3. ImWolf

ImWolf

I had already tried swapping devices around.

ImWolf, Oct 11, 2019
  4. ImWolf

ImWolf

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I removed all the "clutter" files and directories from the Toshiba drive?

I've never used Easy2Boot.... I'll check that out just for fun. I recently used Rufus for the first time. It is terribly slow compared to Yumi, and only allows for one distribution ISO per thumb drive from what I could see. Yumi creates a boot menu on the target drive, and re-creates the menu each time I add a new app.

ImWolf, Oct 11, 2019
  5. ImWolf

ImWolf

Yumi 2.0.5.1 and 2.0.6.9 have been working fine on my XPsp3 machines for years now.

ImWolf, Oct 11, 2019
  6. ImWolf

ImWolf

My intention is to test the IMG restore on the laptop since I really don't have a "test PC".

The plan was to make at least 3 backup images using different utilities, and hopefully at least one of them will restore the system, files, mbr..... everything back in place as advertised.

So far I have used Clonezilla and Acronis. All the Clonezilla files are in a sub-directory on the Toshiba external drive exactly where they were backed up to. In the case of Acronis however, I had originally saved the backup TIB file to the root of the Toshiba, then decided to re-organize and move the file to a newly created sub-directory as well.

Was this a wise move? Do you know if the TIB file has path information specific to where it was saved that might affect the restore process?

ImWolf, Oct 11, 2019
  7. ImWolf

Computer semi-expert

ImWolf: What's with all the red?

Computer semi-expert, Oct 11, 2019
  8. ImWolf

ImWolf

Sorry.... :b

ImWolf, Oct 12, 2019
  9. ImWolf

ImWolf

On 2nd thought, I was planning to also add a 2nd HDD to the laptop, so I'll wait until that is done and then test these IMG files by restoring to the new empty drive.

When I get to that point, I should probably disconnect the current system drive just to keep everything simple?

ImWolf, Oct 12, 2019
  10. ImWolf

ClippyBeer

That's probably the safest way to test if your backups are working properly without risking any data loss. Disconnect the old HD, connect the new one, restore from image.

Yes Clonezilla needs separate subdirectories for each backup due to the number of files. Acronis saves everything to one file (extension .TIB) so it doesn't care where it is located - I have actually backed up and restored XP from an FTP server with Acronis.

Rufus is a little slow but has worked reliably for me on UEFI machines. I've also used Rufus to create Windows 7 and 10 installation media from ISOs. Yumi sounds similar to Easy2Boot in that it allows you to have multi boot ISO and recreates the boot menu when you add install media. I use Easy2boot for all my bootable utilies (Hirens, Acronis, GParted, etc.). Never tried it with Windows installation media or UEFI, both of which are supported. That will be another pet project of mine some day, for now the combo of Rufus + Easy2Boot meets all my bootable USB needs.

That wouldn't make any difference - when you select the BIOS boot menu it doesn't know what is bootable or isn't - it just sees external storage devices and will attempt to boot from whatever choice you make even if it isn't bootable (you'll get an error). My external Toshiba HD is non-bootable.

ClippyBeer, Oct 12, 2019
  11. ImWolf

ImWolf

I've tried to D/L Easy2Boot half a dozen times now from various sites... both of my machines tell me these are "not valid win32" apps. Might have been fun to play with..... tisk tisk.

ImWolf, Oct 12, 2019
  12. ImWolf

ClippyBeer

ClippyBeer, Oct 13, 2019
  13. ImWolf

ClippyBeer

Never mind - it seems that Easy2Boot is not XP compatible (I've only used it in Windows 7 and higher). Ironic since it can be used to install XP. Just use Yumi since you're already familiar and it works in XP.

ClippyBeer, Oct 13, 2019
  14. ImWolf

ImWolf

Not sure where you found this info Clippy..... I was not able to find any "system requirement" info on Easy2Boot. I even did the online chat on their homepage and the tech thought it was strange that my D/L's wouldn't run.

No worries though.... between Yumi and Rufus I think I'm covered.

ImWolf, Oct 13, 2019
  15. ImWolf

ImWolf

Yesterday I used another stand alone program called Snapshot to create yet a 3rd Image of the laptop disk. It created a series of files similar to CloneZilla. The process took 50 minutes, and I had clicked the "verify" box which took an additional 25 minutes. I had also tried an app called Aomei, but it allows only for cloning.

When my new HDD arrives, I'll be testing the restore with Acronis first thing. It was not only the fastest, but seemed the most user friendly app of the three.

For those of you who have already owned laptop computers for a while and need a good laugh..... before I bought the HDD I spent about half an hour looking around for what type of power/data cables I would also need before I checked out some install guides. :b

ImWolf, Oct 13, 2019
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  16. ImWolf

Janice

I am using AOMEI free version and you can do any type of backup you want with it. Easy to use too.

Janice, Oct 13, 2019
  17. ImWolf

ImWolf

OK... I D/L 3 diff versions now and the oldest (V.3.2) allows for more options, including creating a bootable ISO to save on a flash drive for restore purposes. Turns out this ISO is something I had already grabbed which is the file that only allows for restore or clone.

With the newest version you need to D/L a separate program called PEbuilder to accomplish the same task.

ImWolf, Oct 13, 2019
  18. ImWolf

ImWolf

If you haven't done so already Janice, you need to create or D/L the "AMLNX.ISO" file to boot with.... otherwise you would need to re-install Windows and then the BackUpper program to do a restoration.

ImWolf, Oct 13, 2019
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  19. ImWolf

ImWolf

Since I had spent so much time getting Aomei working, I went ahead and created an IMG of the system with that program too..... took 35 minutes for the single file creation, another 35 to verify.

ImWolf, Oct 13, 2019
  20. ImWolf

ClippyBeer

I'm currently testing Macrium Reflect 7. Users rave about it on a Windows 7 forum I'm on. It is free for home users, is XP compatible and has many of the same features available in Acronis True Image (Full backup, incremental, differential, backup to image, clone drive, restore, create rescue media, etc.)

When my testing is completed I will create a guide here on backing up and restoring XP with Macrium.

ClippyBeer, Oct 14, 2019
    ImWolf likes this.
Ask a Question