Can WinXP Pro 64 run all 32bit apps?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by ImWolf, Aug 29, 2019.

1. ImWolf

Janice

Janice, Oct 3, 2019
  2. ImWolf

Computer semi-expert

From what the article says, they are very much the same. Both make a bit-for-bit copy of the hard drive. But:
    • Cloning is copying the source hard drive to another hard drive, making their contents exactly identical.
    • Imaging is copying the source hard drive to a file, which can be stored on another hard drive, and can be easily copied and pasted to another location.

Computer semi-expert, Oct 4, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  3. ImWolf

ImWolf

Perhaps you can save me some time on this Clippy....

I've already tired out something called Todo, and it was a disapointment.

What I need is a bootable USB drive that will boot to the Imaging program, and also hold the IMG file(s) for which ever disk I wish to replicate.

What do you use to accomplish this?

Thanks,
    Wolf

ImWolf, Oct 5, 2019
  4. ImWolf

ImWolf

Having no luck trying to create a disk image on this laptop. (haven't tried another machine yet). Don't know if it's the hardware, software, or the operator.

I've been testing by installing different Imaging programs and trying to create a disk image of the laptop HDD (there is only one) to a Toshiba USB 1T drive.

Todo was behaving erratic from the start splashing strange stuff on the screen and in the task bar. After about 15 minutes the main progress window showed no progress.... nothing seemed to be happening. When I tried to abort the write process the program didn't respond at all. Couldn't shut it down by any means except turn the machine off. (I did this twice with the same results).

Then I installed something called Data Numen.... it seemed to install and run ok, but damn slow. According to the progress indicator it would have taken almost 7 hours to create the image. The laptop has a Seagate 500G SSHD with 42G of used space. I didn't think this was normal so aborted that. (program responded normally).

Next I tired one called Disk Wizard (freeware). Pretty much the same as Todo..... no apparent action and totally locked up the system.

Lastly, I installed and ran Norton Ghost 15. After about half an hour it was still at 5%..... I went to bed. Woke up to all kinds of empty boxes on the screen.... machine all locked up and unresponsive. After restart I saw it had written about 20G to the external drive.

I'm open to suggestions.....

ImWolf, Oct 6, 2019
  5. ImWolf

Janice

This is very strange behaviour for a PC. I am dual booting two XP Professional 32 Bit OSes, on the same hard drive. Just yesterday I backed up both to an external drive using Easeus Todo Backup and AOMEI Backupper and both worked very smoothly. I don't remember exactly but the time taken was very short - something like 12 mts for each backup. Norton Ghost also has been around for a long time and used by a large number of people regularly.

I never got any virus in my XPs in spite of connecting to the internet daily for years and years, but you never know. You might run some virus removal programs and see what comes out, or perhaps wait for help from someone more qualified and familiar with this phenomenon than I. I am sorry to see you struggling so much, for more than a month now.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Janice, Oct 6, 2019
  6. ImWolf

priscus

Clonezilla

https://www.google.com/search?q=Clo...=chrome..69i57j69i65&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Use it as a live disk (or USB) Non install, so that your target OS is not running (and hence altering data)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    priscus, Oct 6, 2019
  7. ImWolf

ImWolf

Actually Janice, messing with XpPro64 was a pain, but the current OS installation was a breeze.

I suspect the problems I'm having now with disk imaging are related to this Seagate Sata SSHD (solid state hybrid drive).

For now I'm gonna take Priscus advice and try out Clonezilla.... still D/L now.

ImWolf, Oct 6, 2019
  8. ImWolf

ImWolf

Would you suggest I put the bootable ISO on the external HDD I plan to use for storing the IMG files, or on a separate thumb drive?

Thanks

ImWolf, Oct 6, 2019
  9. ImWolf

priscus

Separate thumb drive, or optical disk: let it treat your source drive and destination drive as mere receptacles for data. Keep things simple.

priscus, Oct 6, 2019
  10. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

Windows Versions Support: Windows 7 SP1 (all editions), Windows 8 (all editions), Windows 8.1 (all editions), Windows Home Server 2011, and Windows 10 (including Anniversary Update)

unless using an older version, above is for the new clonezilla programs from HERE

Elizabeth23, Oct 6, 2019
  11. ImWolf

ImWolf

I'm using the Clonezilla version released Jan or this year. I used Yumi to make bootable flash drive with the ISO.
    (this is pretty cryptic software!) Now creating IMG from laptop HDD to external HDD. (50 minutes estimate).

Janice: When you did your backups, did you run the imaging programs from inside Windows, or did you find/create an ISO and boot off of those?

Thanks

ImWolf, Oct 6, 2019
  12. ImWolf

Janice

Actually, I didn't know there were 2 ways of doing this. I simply downloaded the backup software from the internet to the computer and did the imaging while it was running-from within Windows. Isn't that the way most people do it? :(

Janice, Oct 6, 2019
  13. ImWolf

ImWolf

I don't know how most ppl do it Janice..... this is all new to me.

Clonezilla took at least 70 minutes... (I was outside playing in the dirt), and created 27 files / 36.2g that it claims are all good.... Only way to test would be to try the restore option which I'm not ready for just yet!

ImWolf, Oct 6, 2019
  14. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

the best way is to do it outside windows :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 6, 2019
    Janice and ImWolf like this.
  15. ImWolf

ImWolf

I agree..... but this Clonezilla thing I just used is very cryptic and looks like it came out of the early 90's..... plus it's Linux based (I think) so 20% of what's presented on the screen is complete guesswork for me.

Can you suggest a stand alone bootable program?

ImWolf, Oct 7, 2019
  16. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

I have never imaged or cloned my drive, I tried once but the program would only work when going to a larger drive, since I only had a smaller drive, I gave up, and just take the lengthy time to reinstall, :)

you can do a search, and if they do not support xp, look for an earlier version, the best to my knowledge is Acronis, which comes free with some drives.

Elizabeth23, Oct 7, 2019
  17. ImWolf

Computer semi-expert

Computer semi-expert, Oct 9, 2019
  18. ImWolf

ImWolf

Alrighty.... Since I'm still fiddling around I'll check that out. I had taken Liz's suggestion and D/L Acronis 2017 bootable ISO, put that on a flash drive and made an IMG file.... went fast compared to what I'd seen b4.

Haven't had the nerve to test it yet so far as restoring.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    ImWolf, Oct 10, 2019
  19. ImWolf

ImWolf

Ok... this has been bugging me for a while, so I'll ask.....

This laptop has 4 USB ports. One is always taken by a mouse and doesn't seem to affect boot. I've been using a 1T Toshiba USB drive to xfer data at times, and also as the destination for the two saved images I've made so far using Clonezilla and Acronis.

Why is it that I cannot boot off of a bootable flash drive while the Toshiba drive is also plugged in. (screen will show "no boot device" or something like that very briefly and then boot to Windows). I can only boot off the thumb drive when the Toshiba drive is disconnected.

It's been a slight pain because different items on the flash drive boot menu react differently so far as detecting the Toshiba drive. It takes trial and error as to when I plug in the Toshiba drive either during the boot cycle, or in some cases not until the ISO app is fully loaded.

Any ideas?

ImWolf, Oct 11, 2019
  20. ImWolf

Computer semi-expert

Maybe the system tries to boot to the Toshiba, fails, and throws the "No boot device" error without even searching for other devices. You could try swapping the drives between USB ports. It just might help. After all, computers can be very finicky if they want to...

Computer semi-expert, Oct 11, 2019
Ask a Question