Can WinXP Pro 64 run all 32bit apps?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by ImWolf, Aug 29, 2019.

1. ImWolf

cornemuse

I am curious, how many here occaisionally or regularly clone or image their os hdds?

cornemuse, Oct 14, 2019
  2. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

great , that guide would be really helpful, :)

I have not yet imaged or cloned, the one I tried way back, needed a larger drive , or something, anyway, I never tried again, :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 14, 2019
  3. ImWolf

Janice

I have already created the PEbuilder disk. In addition to the PEbuilder, do I also need AMLNK.ISO?

Janice, Oct 14, 2019
  4. ImWolf

ImWolf

Looking forward to reading your report on this. :b

ImWolf, Oct 14, 2019
  5. ImWolf

ImWolf

You shouldn't also need the LNX file Janice..... so long as you have already tested booting with the disk you created and can access the IMG file. :b

ImWolf, Oct 14, 2019
  6. ImWolf

Compaq_8200_Elite

Try SUPERAntiSpyware Free. It works fine on my XP 64

Compaq_8200_Elite, Oct 14, 2019
  7. ImWolf

Compaq_8200_Elite

XP 64 works great for me with an Intel I7-2600 8gb ram. I've been running it for years.
    SUPERAntiSpyware free version is better than Malwarebytes. It works fine on XP64.

Compaq_8200_Elite, Oct 14, 2019
  8. ImWolf

ImWolf

You are more fortunate than I was..... I gave XPpro64 a month, and it was a month of numerous problems. I since replaced that OS with the 32 bit version and it was like night and day. Thanks just the same... :b

ImWolf, Oct 15, 2019
  9. ImWolf

ImWolf

2nd HDD arrived for this laptop. It is identical to the current drive installed.

Now, I've built systems in the past. Desk top and tower cases. I've replaced major components including MB's, Power supplies, and drives.... including the easy plugin stuff. But I've never wrenched on a laptop.

I've looked up some videos, but those were poor....

Those of you who have opened your case and added a 2nd HDD, feel free to warn me of what not to do.

Thanks,
    Wolf

ImWolf, Oct 18, 2019
  10. ImWolf

Computer semi-expert

One tip: take pictures as you take the laptop apart. Then you can use it as a kind of breakdown picture like in an owner's manual.

Computer semi-expert, Oct 18, 2019
  11. ImWolf

ClippyBeer

Fortunately your model laptop is one of the few that lets you add a second hard drive.

https://www.dell.com/community/Lapt...ecision-M6400-add-2nd-Hard-Drive/td-p/3339573

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/m6400-second-hdd.361663/

Most laptops I've owned simply had a coverplate underneath that could be removed with a few screws allowing easy HD replacement. It appears your laptop requires removal of the entire bottom panel.

I couldn't find any documentation on adding a secondary hard drive but it appears there should be a caddy in the same slot as the primary hard drive that will accept the additional hard drive. If the caddy is missing you will have to order one.

ClippyBeer, Oct 18, 2019
  12. ImWolf

ClippyBeer

All my PCs are imaged anytime a major update is made to their OSes.

ClippyBeer, Oct 18, 2019
  13. ImWolf

ImWolf

Install of 2nd HDD looks quite easy..... if you have correct interposer/connector piece required, which I do not.

Back to the store I go.....

UPDATE: I am so excited! Could not find correct part for Precison M6400, but found one for Vostra V3400 that appears very close..... and sometime between now and December 19th I'll get to find out if it works.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    ImWolf, Oct 18, 2019
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  14. ImWolf

ImWolf

Strangely enough, Dell seems to have called at least 2 different designs M6400.... most of the videos I look at are not a match with my machine.

This laptop has a completely different HDD bay for a 2nd drive than on any video, it'a not near the HDD1 bay, and neither of the HDD's are added or removed via a slot.

ImWolf, Oct 19, 2019
  15. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Oct 19, 2019
  16. ImWolf

ImWolf

Installing a 2nd HDD in this machine looks very easy Liz, but you MUST have the special "Interposer" connector part to complete the install. There is zero room in there for cables of any kind. This connector piece slips onto the Sata pins of the HDD first, and has the 7+15 connection tangs sticking out of the other side which you then can push down onto the mating Dell connection point in the HDD bay.

It's a $2 part, but Dell and other places I've looked want to sell an entire kit only including things I don't need for $20 - $40. Other people have also tried to track down the part number, but Dell makes it very illusive!

Looking only at pictures, the Interposer for the Vostra series appears to be identical except for a small tab between the connection tangs, which I can probably snip off if it interferes with the Dell style female plug-in point.

ImWolf, Oct 19, 2019
  17. ImWolf

ImWolf

I was flirting with the idea of replacing the 1st HDD with a new drive just to test the imaging software, but that is another can of worms... it would take much more disassembly than I had done to even see how that HDD is connected.

I may be forced to do this when I open it up again because I really prefer not having drives connected to machines at all when I'm doing things like destroying/creating partitions, etc.

ImWolf, Oct 19, 2019
  18. ImWolf

ImWolf

OK.... so I did a lot more reading, and removing the primary HDD was not so bad... but there was an issue with the 2 new drives I bought (and the one already installed) being a bit thinner than the bay was designed for. You have to either hold the laptop upside down and use gravity assist for the connectors to align, or put some kind of spacer under the HDD..... I chose the former method and tada.... drives were detected.

So at the moment I booted to the Acronis ISO and am attempting to restore the image of the drive I had removed onto one of the replacement empty drives.... we'll see what happens.

ImWolf, Oct 19, 2019
  19. ImWolf

ImWolf

The Acronis recovery looks good. It took 35-40 minutes to restore the system.

Explorer shell extensions, hot keys, desktop, Firefox bookmarks and all settings appear just as I had left them.

Only thing I did not expect was at first boot into Windows 3 "found new hardware" boxes came up for the HDD, and 2 Ricoh related adapters.

I've run about a dozen installed programs and they all seem to run flawlessly.

Still looking forward to Clippybeer's report on Macrium Reflect 7, but unless something crops up, Acronis seems to be reliable for my needs.

ImWolf, Oct 20, 2019
  20. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

great work, next time it would probably be easier to just hook a second drive up with a usb?? :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 20, 2019
Ask a Question