Can WinXP Pro 64 run all 32bit apps?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by ImWolf, Aug 29, 2019.

1. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

so start all over, install the nss, reboot, install ALL the chipsets that it will let you install (as per the link, please read the whole link :) ), then the rest, as for the video, vga is the very basic video mode that is displayed in xp so that you can get a display before you install a video driver, this is the same on all pcs.

.net should not have any effect on drivers as this is an optional program.

Elizabeth23, Sep 9, 2019
  2. ImWolf

ImWolf

So now that I have .NET with all SP's and patches installed thru V.4.0 I was able to run the Dell SupportAssist program...... just far enough for a pop-up saying I need Windows 7 or higher.....

Joy

ImWolf, Sep 9, 2019
  3. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

:(:(:(

Elizabeth23, Sep 9, 2019
  4. ImWolf

WindowsXPforever

Use snappy driver installer, much better and supports XP

WindowsXPforever, Sep 10, 2019
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  5. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

I am going to download snappy driver to see if it works, :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 10, 2019
  6. ImWolf

ImWolf

Never heard of Snappy..... Trying it now. It does run under XP x64. D/L Video driver now..... Let's see what happens.

Thanks for the post!

ImWolf, Sep 10, 2019
  7. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

snappy is very techy, I was going to download all the packs but it is 16gb which at my speed could take two days, :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 10, 2019
  8. ImWolf

ImWolf

Mr. XPforever.... Thank You!

The Snappity Snapper worked great downloading and installing the nVidia driver that had dogged me for a few days now.

It also found 49 other drivers all of which appear to be updates.... do you recommend "gang install" with this driver utility, or do you typically just do one driver at a time in case you need to roll back?

Thanks,
    Wolf

ImWolf, Sep 11, 2019
  9. ImWolf

ImWolf

On another subject, can someone suggest a decent virus protection program that runs under XP x64?

In the past I used AVG along with Malwarebytes...... AVG no longer supports XP x64, and MB is no longer free.

I could not get Avast to install. I tried Comodo and that was a mistake, and also TotalAV which didn't impress me, but was at least much easier to uninstall than Comodo.

Thanks,
    Wolf

ImWolf, Sep 11, 2019
  10. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

Support for 64-bit Windows

The new avast! 4.5 Home/Professional now fully supports the 64-bit Windows platform (avast! Server Edition has been supporting Win64 (both AMD64 and IA64) platforms since version 4.1). ALWIL Software is anticipating a massive take-up of this platform as Windows XP 64-Bit Edition will support up to 32 GB of RAM and 16 TB of virtual memory, enabling applications to run faster when working with large data sets. Applications can preload substantially more data into virtual memory, allowing rapid access by the 64-bit extensions of the processor. This reduces the time for loading data into virtual memory or seeking, reading, and writing to data storage devices, making applications run faster and more efficiently.

Regular (32-bit) antivirus applications are unable to operate correctly on the 64-bit Windows platform because they rely on 32-bit kernel-mode drivers. The new avast! uses native 64-bit drivers, delivering the same level of protection as in the 32-bit Windows environments. The installation package is the same for 32-bit and 64-bit versions - the setup program automatically detects the operating system it is running on and installs all necessary files.

Ethan Stark

Above from THIS thread in 2016 so I am not sure what it is now since you said you could not install it.

==============

glad you were able to get your drivers with snappy :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 11, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  11. ImWolf

cornemuse

Theres no benefit to using xp 64 over xp 32 on the internet, at all.
    Load it (64) with memory & run it commando(!) without i-net connection, it flies!

I wouldnt wish aVAST on a dog, , , , , (sorry Liz!)

cornemuse, Sep 11, 2019
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  12. ImWolf

WindowsXPforever

.....Common Sence? :p

WindowsXPforever, Sep 11, 2019
  13. ImWolf

Jody Thornton

I'm not sure I'd agree. If you're using a 64-bit browser (Roytam1 over at MSFN overs a bunch of great updated alternatives for XP), you can certainly handle more tabs and utilize more memory on an x64 system (XP included)

Jody Thornton, Sep 11, 2019
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  14. ImWolf

Mike_Walsh

Never had any problems with Comodo during my time with XP. I used it for many years, and it always gave trouble-free service.

For the past 5 years I've used the Linux version with 'Puppy' Linux, mainly as a standalone scanner if I think it needs it. Generally, the Linux permissions system, combined with the firewall, provides ALL the protection necessary against nasties. I use Comodo AV 4 Linux more to protect friends who run Windows, if I send any files to them.

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Sep 12, 2019
  15. ImWolf

Janice

Great that you got the drivers and you are almost at the end of your effort. I am sure it's worth it.

If you have not been able to install Avast even after the helpful post from Elizabeth, you can also try Panda antivirus.

https://www.pandasecurity.com/en-us/homeusers/solutions/free-antivirus/

It has a free version and its ratings are very high. Also there is a thread here that shows how you can download Microsoft Security Essentials for XP. I searched but I have not been able to find it. Hope someone else can help with that. There is also 360 Total Security. The thread below tells you all about it. Go down from post #15 for Elizabeth's full description of the best way to install it.

https://www.xpforums.com/threads/widows-xp-professional-sp-3-drivers-and-updates.933351/

You have taken so much trouble over your XP 64 that you deserve all the help you can get, for these final touches :). Since you are asking for suggestions about suitable antivirus programs, I am sure you will get more help from others who are better informed about this subject.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Janice, Sep 12, 2019
  16. ImWolf

ImWolf

Thank you Janice.... and everyone for your help. The XP Pro 64 install is pretty much complete except for 5 optional update drivers, which I'm kinda timid about installing. (this laptap really screams at the moment so why mess with that?)

Unlike the Windows 10 problems I was having, it took me all of 3 minutes last night to add the laptop to my home network and that's working great as well.

Still shopping for Antivirus..... I'll let you know what I ended up with.

Wolf

ImWolf, Sep 12, 2019
  17. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

360 does not support 64bit, you can run a 32bit antivirus, but you will be missing scanning of the 64bit sections of the os;

Elizabeth23, Sep 12, 2019
  18. ImWolf

Janice

Janice, Sep 12, 2019
  19. ImWolf

Janice

Janice, Sep 12, 2019
  20. ImWolf

ImWolf

I followed that 2nd link Janice, and since XPforever did not post troubles I D/L the mseinstall.exe and ran it...

Flakey install told me my Firewall was still not activated (even though it had been throughout) and I should turn it on manually..... well, it was all the time.

At end of install it insisted I need to update Definitions.... makes sense. Progress bar never made it more than 20% after many attempts. Did a web search and ended up here to manually D/L Definitions....

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...the-latest-definition-updates-for-microsoft-s

Once D/L was complete I ran the file...... "not a valid Win32 app"

Joy

ImWolf, Sep 13, 2019
Ask a Question