Can WinXP Pro 64 run all 32bit apps?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by ImWolf, Aug 29, 2019.

1. ImWolf

ImWolf

Yup.... had .Net 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and recently added 4.0 for something I was playing with... (there are comparability issues). Just ran the 2.0 patch and nLite loads right up now.... Thanks Liz.

I will be playing in the dirt the rest of the day so prolly won't get back to these toys till next weekend.... I'll let you folks know how the XP Pro 64 install went when there's something to report.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    ImWolf, Sep 2, 2019
  2. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

okay

Elizabeth23, Sep 2, 2019
  3. ImWolf

Computer semi-expert

Good luck with that! ;)

Computer semi-expert, Sep 4, 2019
  4. ImWolf

ImWolf

Probably took steps I didn't need to, but that's just me.....

Tested my portable USB 3.5 Floppy drive by booting the laptop with it. Machine booted to the Dos 5 disk and left me at the A:\ Prompt.... (even though there was no sign of a floppy drive when I checked BIOS). Then I copied the Dell "pre-OS" Sata drivers on a diskette.

Used nLite to generate a WinXP Pro 64 SP1 ISO...... SP2 is an additional 360M so I didn't integrate that update. Only other addition was the same "pre-OS" Sata drivers on the floppy. (as it turns out, I should have included SP2)

Tried for hours to burn the image to disc, but nLite and Imgburn both failed me..... I think there's a problem with my burner? So got tired of that and used Yumi to make the ISO bootable on a flash drive. Tested the flash drive in the laptop and confirmed the XP Setup would start, which it did and ran without F6.

Booted the laptop again into my "Repair Utility" program (on same flash drive). Opened G-Parted and deleted all 3 partitions on the only HDD the machine has. Then created a new NTFS partition with all the space. I didn't format it since WinXP should do that for itself.

So finally I booted again and started the XP setup. When it got to the point of choosing a location, the Setup program still listed 3 partitions on the drive.... weird. So I deleted all 3 again inside the setup program, then chose all the un-allocated space for the install. This is one of those Seagate (SSHD) hybrid Sata drives which supports hidden partitions..... Maybe XP is too old and "stupid" to play ball?

So now I'm at 73% on formatting the drive......

We'll see what happens......

Wolf

ImWolf, Sep 8, 2019
  5. ImWolf

ImWolf

WinXP Pro 64 w/ SP2 is now installed..... also, Firefox.

I wanted to connect to the Dell Support site next and do as much auto-detect and update as possible, but I can't get the laptop to connect to the internet..... Didn't expect this.

Perhaps I need to install some of the Dell drivers manually first?

Wolf

ImWolf, Sep 8, 2019
  6. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

ORDER FOR DELL INSTALL DRIVERS

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software

Chipset or SMBus driver

Processor Driver (if applicable)

Video

Audio (sound)

Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)

Modem

Network Card
    ===============

when you do a clean install, first get all the service packs installed, if you have sp1 OR sp2, then you can go straight to sp3, if there are no service packs, then you have to add 1 OR 2 and then 3.

then you do the drivers, with the chipset first (unless it is a dell and has an NSS-laptop, or a DSS-desktop, first), I install my dss, chipset, video, audio and last my ethernet, those are all the ones I need. :)

look in device manager for any yellow exclamation points to see which drivers are missing.

Elizabeth23, Sep 8, 2019
  7. ImWolf

ImWolf

I installed chipset drivers, then I installed a LAN Mgr. and LAN Drivers package..... this gave me internet access.

Unfortunately the d/l "support assist" launcher won't run.... cryptic error.....

I'm in the process of installing drivers manually per the Dell "order for XP" list...

Fun!

ImWolf, Sep 8, 2019
  8. ImWolf

ImWolf

Ok..... not so much fun after all..... some of the Dell support supplied drivers won't install... errors. Looking at other sources for 3 of them now, and I still have a long list to go.

I will continue this another day......

ImWolf, Sep 8, 2019
  9. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

as the dell support autocheck for drivers no longer supports xp, I doubt that you will get much help there. so now you will have to go to the individual manufacturers websites to try to find drivers, it will be all trial and error, till you can find one that works, as most all the driver programs on the net will tell you that the driver will work with xp, but the driver will not work, all the posters on this forum, and others, have had this problem in that newer pc's just do not have drivers equipped to work with xp.

Elizabeth23, Sep 8, 2019
  10. ImWolf

ImWolf

B4 I bought this laptop I noted that (back in the day) some of them sold with WinXP Pro 64 as the installed OS. I also saw at least one for sale with that system installed. This particular machine originally came with Win 7, and then was upped to 10.

So I didn't expect the type of errors I'm seeing now considering I'm D/L the drivers for this exact machine off the Dell support site who supplied the equipment.

At the moment I'm trying to install the video drivers and I get a pop-up saying "Inventory collection failed".... so I can click OK and terminate the install. The nVidia site doesn't have compatible drivers that I can see.

ImWolf, Sep 8, 2019
  11. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

Re: Error: Inventory collection failed during upgrade

This issue was resolved by the removal of the followig registry key value:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\Autorun

At somepoint, this key was populated with a value that the installation packages did not behave properly after that point.

above from THIS thread, evidently you were installing a firmware update not a driver.

what drivers are you specifically missing (device manager) as of this time?

Elizabeth23, Sep 8, 2019
  12. ImWolf

ImWolf

Yeah I read that too Liz.... On the laptop there is no HKLM...... The HKEY/Software/etc... Autorun has no value set.

There are only 2 yellow ? devices remaining in Device Mgr. at the moment..... one is Audio for which I just haven't gotten to yet, the other is a Broadcom USH device for which no attempted D/L install/update has worked.... yet. I used the vendor/name to track down 2 or 3 drivers now..... none have worked.

At the moment, I'm mostly concerned with getting the nVidia FX3700m Display drivers installed.... same story though. The Dell supplied drivers stop at "Inventory Collection Failed", and nVidia has no drivers for XP Pro 64.

I installed a Dell Inventory Manager program..... no help.

Then I went off the farm and found a Dell Sys-Man auto update app that was supposed to be compatible..... won't run.... "not a valid Win32 App". Dell said it was a 64 bit app.... so why the "not win32" error?

So now I'm looking up why I get 64bit app won't run errors on a 64 bit machine......

ImWolf, Sep 8, 2019
  13. ImWolf

ImWolf

Wondering if this is related to .NET.... I see no versions installed. All I see under Add/Remove programs related to Winbloze is the XP SP2 I had installed right after the OS.

ImWolf, Sep 8, 2019
  14. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

After a clean install of Windows, there may be one or more listing(s) in Device Manager that read as an Unknown device.

To resolve these, install all the drivers available in the Chipset category available for your computer on the Dell Support website

above from this knowledge base article

this is for the broadcam error and to me it seems that it is the ability to swipe which I am not sure was only available on a tablet with xp

Elizabeth23, Sep 9, 2019
  15. ImWolf

ImWolf

Ok Liz..... thank you.... I think.

I followed the link you posted, confirmed that I already had the file suggested (which was one of 10 "ControlPoint" files I had previously downloaded but not yet looked at.) So I ran the install for that one driver pack and it installed a slew of things.... including a lot of MS .NETframework items.

Should I have installed this long ago?

I have been trying to stick to this list, which I was led to after inputting the machine model and service tag information:

https://www.dell.com/support/articl...all-dell-drivers-in-the-correct-order?lang=en

The ControlPoint drivers and software I just installed are 2/3 of the way down the list and I hadn't gotten that far yet.

Oh well..... this is all trial and error....

Thanks,

Wolf

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    ImWolf, Sep 9, 2019
  16. ImWolf

ImWolf

Soooooooo...... after the above install I was prompted to install a firmware update for ControlVault. I found the update, downloaded it, and it said it was not compatible with my machine.... pffft.

Then, still could not install video drivers or either of the Dell Driver Detect/Support apps......

With all these weird errors I'm now tracking down and installing every x64 .NET Framework install/update I can find.

ImWolf, Sep 9, 2019
  17. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

did you start all over by installing all the chipsets, (as per link) and then do the others? that is supposed to eliminate the troubles.

Elizabeth23, Sep 9, 2019
  18. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

reply 2: firmware updates are not mandantory or even necessary most of the time, I have not ever installed a firmware update, but then my pc is very old, a firmware update is hardware related, as per example, you buy a blu ray player and it will only play some blu ray dvd's, then you would get a firmware update to be able to play the latest dvd's.

Elizabeth23, Sep 9, 2019
  19. ImWolf

ImWolf

When I started this process of driver updates, I had no internet access on the laptop, and at that point I had not tracked down the list of "install things in this order". So, I installed the "Intel Chipset Driver" from the list of options:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/precision-m6400/drivers

Then I tried to install the "Intel Mobile Chipset, v.9.0.0.1009, A00" but got warned that these were older than already installed so I exited that setup.

Then, since I have the laptop currently hard wired to the modem, I installed the Network "Broadcom 57XX Gigabit Integrated Controller, 59XX 10/100 Ethernet Controller, v.XP v10.85 Vista v10.100.0.0, A00" controller.

This gave me internet access..... which is when I tried to get any Dell Automated Support working..... all of which failed.

It was then that I tracked down the list of "install driver order" and started working my way down the list.

Next I back-tracked and installed the "Dell System Software Utility", but since then I tried to stick to the list. There was no "Accelerometer" to be found.... so I skipped that.

For each install I've done as much reading as possible and/or checking the "unknowns" in device manager for the actual device info.

At this point, I really want to get the graphics driver issue resolved, but nothing seems to work. Device Manager says I have a "Standard VGA Graphics Adaptor" installed and working fine, but the display is poor..... XP doesn't have my nVidia FX3700M on any listing...... and I can't use the drivers I've tried from Dell or nVidia.

I'm also quite certain that none of my .NET Framework updates will get rid of that damn "Inventory Collection Failed" message when I try to install the Dell Display Drivers..... but it does give me something to play with!

Sucks to be me!

Hope you're having a nice day..... :b

ImWolf, Sep 9, 2019
  20. ImWolf

ImWolf

Oops..... I didn't answer your ?

No, I did not start all over, but I only went off the path in one instance by not installing "system utilities" b4 installing the chipset.

ImWolf, Sep 9, 2019
Ask a Question