Windows XP Antivirus Options.

I just removed AVG and installed 360 Total Security, so I don't really know much about it. Do you folks who use it trust hitting the "Repair" button after running a full scan?

If you've used it and it caused problems for you, are they reversible?

Thanks,
Wolf

Any AV can have false positives. You should check the location of what is detecting and maybe upload it to virus total to confirm. That being said, there is one laptop in the office with that AV. The cloud part doesn't even detect eicar unless you download the offline engine. I think it was called QVM or something.

I'm still using Webroot SecureAnywhere. It's a paid version (I think, though can't actually remember paying anything recently) and I believe it's still operating. Certainly the tray icon is there saying I'm protected and I've not received any notifications saying XP is no longer supported. I'm sceptical there's anyone still targeting xp computers but find it comforting to have dedicated anti-virus and like to support anyone genuinely providing it for XP.
I use it in tandem with Livedrive online real-time back up. Not sure they advertise supporting XP but they still do. Also paid but it gives access to your files anywhere as well as backing up old versions etc. Personally I believe the XP version is better than the newer ones as it is continuously checking and uploading as opposed to once an hour.

You have to check if it's still getting definitions. And maybe try the Eicar test to check if realtime protection is working

UPDATE:

After about a month, I ended up removing 360 Total Security from both of the machines I had installed it on. In my case, it not only messed up all the network addresses of those two machines, but other machines in the network as well. The problem seemed to be intermittent, and quite frustrating. Sometimes the networking capabilities resumed after rebooting both machines, but it was just too much of a bother. The damn popups didn't help much either.

Back