Windows XP Antivirus Options.

I'm using Malwarebytes as well, but unfortunately the version I'm using wont' update anymore, but still good to keep around...

If you like MBAM, it still works and updates on XP.

"...Malwarebytes support for legacy Windows XP and Vista Operating Systems Malwarebytes 3.5, will continue to support legacy Windows XP and Windows Vista at the same level as we had with earlier 3.x releases. In order for Malwarebytes to better support these legacy operating systems we’ve designed Malwarebytes 3.5 with special compatibility features to allow on-going protection updates and other maintenance upgrades via a separate development track..."

Some long reading on details:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/286840-mbam-221-no-definitions-updates-after-may-19/page/4/

The skinny:
I had/have the free version. I don't think I used or needed the clean tool, (can't remember) I think it's for uninstalling paid versions(?) but if you use a licensed version make sure you have your lic# before cleaning!
mbam-clean-2.3.0.1001.exe
downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_clean

I installed: mb3-setup-legacywos-3.5.1.2522-1.0.365-1.0.5292.exe
https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3_legacy

The slight down side is it also installs as a service which loads on automatic. I changed it to disabled and only start it when I run a scan.

I used it on two 'puters yesterday; checked the downloads just now, working.

If you like MBAM, it still works and updates on XP.

"...Malwarebytes support for legacy Windows XP and Vista Operating Systems Malwarebytes 3.5, will continue to support legacy Windows XP and Windows Vista at the same level as we had with earlier 3.x releases. In order for Malwarebytes to better support these legacy operating systems we’ve designed Malwarebytes 3.5 with special compatibility features to allow on-going protection updates and other maintenance upgrades via a separate development track..."

Some long reading on details:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/286840-mbam-221-no-definitions-updates-after-may-19/page/4/

The skinny:
I had/have the free version. I don't think I used or needed the clean tool, (can't remember) I think it's for uninstalling paid versions(?) but if you use a licensed version make sure you have your lic# before cleaning!
mbam-clean-2.3.0.1001.exe
downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_clean

I installed: mb3-setup-legacywos-3.5.1.2522-1.0.365-1.0.5292.exe
https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3_legacy

The slight down side is it also installs as a service which loads on automatic. I changed it to disabled and only start it when I run a scan.

I used it on two 'puters yesterday; checked the downloads just now, working.
Thank you!

FWIW ... I was able to update both the rootkit and main database tonight as you can see for:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-rootkit/
https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mbar/

MBAM V1.10.3.1001
untitled-sal.jpg

Last edited:
Some of the folks at MSFN use one called WiseVector StopX.

You have to delay computer activity for a minute or two on startup because everything from Notepad++ to MS Paint to Firefox to Chrome will lock up if you attempt to launch them while the WiseVector StopX engine/service is still initializing. I also didn't have any luck with this on 2 GB RAM computers but seems fine on 4 GB RAM computers.

You will have to setup "allow" rules for Basilisk/Serpent else it will lock up on launch.
"St52" is the only roytam1 browser I tried with it.
Mozilla browsers have always required very strange "rules" for parent-based firewalls like Comodo and WiseVector StopX.
It did not throw any alarms/notifications for 360Chrome v13.5.

wise.png

360chrome-basilisk.png

^I tried this last month and I'm sorry I didn't report back, but took 3 times as long to start up and wasn't worth it. Currently, don't use any "real-time".

TMTGTR, you do not have to disable MBAM, you can just set to manual, that way it will update when you use it rather than doing so automatically.

TMTGTR, you do not have to disable MBAM, you can just set to manual, that way it will update when you use it rather than doing so automatically.
I know, but if I recall black viper says services in manual will take a tiny bit of memory compared to disabled. I may be wrong...

avast seems to be the best option now they even announced last year that support will continue for it even after other antivirus said to upgrade to windows (including on so SP3)

avast seems to be the best option now they even announced last year that support will continue for it even after other antivirus said to upgrade to windows (including on so SP3)
I wish avast would work without "real-time". Sad to say, its a 'no-gp' for me, might be for others here :)

I know, but if I recall black viper says services in manual will take a tiny bit of memory compared to disabled. I may be wrong...
No, its NOT. It depends on service state (running or stopped).
Manual means service is not started, but it might start when other service or application requires it. So it means faster boot (a bit).

Well ... its not for the 'faint of heart' and I don't recommend anything that people aren't comfortable with.

But these are the ONLY services I have set to Automatic.

services.jpg

Does anybody know if I can safely disable the following:

~Schedule (I don't schedule anything)
~termsrv (I disable this service)
~Wlballoon (I also have balloons disabled)

Thank you in advance :)

-Sal
untitled-sal-1.jpg

My biggest problem is my two computers with Windows XP have CPUs that don't support SSE2. The problem with most anti-virus programs that work on Windows XP is that they require SSE2 support. Any suggestions for an anti-virus program that doesn't require SSE2 support?

My biggest problem is my two computers with Windows XP have CPUs that don't support SSE2. The problem with most anti-virus programs that work on Windows XP is that they require SSE2 support. Any suggestions for an anti-virus program that doesn't require SSE2 support?
Do you mean for "real-time" security? MBAM and MBAR should run fine and Quick Heal (All 3 are FREE for personal use) all should work, please keep us posted on how this is going and what you chose to run.

Back