Which browser do you use in XP?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Ian, May 27, 2014.

1. Ian

XPAnarchy

Alright so about this version.

Right now the browser has apparently started to degrade just a hair. A few audio formats have now completely stopped working on the browser similarly to Chrome 49, certain website features are now starting to break.

There are a few select websites that consume so much memory that they slow down your computer and make it unusable, have to use Mypal again for those specific sites.

Unless there's a new update out for it that I'm not aware of, 360chrome's not looking too healthy. :mad:

XPAnarchy, Apr 3, 2022
  2. Ian

xphelper

(After quite some time) I have been having some issues with Serpent Basilisk version 2019.10.25 (32-bit) as well:
    * It hangs when there are too many Youtube videos pages left opened
    * After a while, even if a new URL is entered, it always goes back to the home page
    * Recently a few websites use some software that do not display in this version (e.g. appear blank when logged in)

The workaround for the first two issues are obvious: just try close the windows and start over. The final issue is a bit of a pain, just have to use Windows 7 or Windows 10 for that task.

As long as it doesn't get any worse, I still prefer Serpent Basilisk to MyPal, as the former looks nicer.

I wonder if any other versions of Serpent have the same issues.

xphelper, Apr 3, 2022
  3. Ian

ClippyBeer

Without posting the URLs of the websites that are giving you problems there's very little in the way of assistance we can provide other than - have you tried turning the computer off and on again?

ClippyBeer, Apr 3, 2022
  4. Ian

xphelper

https://o.rthost.win/basilisk/

https://o.rthost.win/basilisk/basilisk55-win32-git-20220402-c987b2fca-xpmod.7z
    https://o.rthost.win/basilisk/basilisk55-win64-git-20220402-c987b2fca-xpmod.7z
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

Someone might find the above links useful. I have just briefly tested the above 02 Apr 2022 32-bit version. It's portable and it seems a lot faster than the 2019 version (especially before I installed the above addon). However the issue I mentioned earlier persists. It's a pain to lose the addons, bookmarks and settings when you install a new version. Maybe there is an easier way.

xphelper, Apr 3, 2022
  5. Ian

xphelper

PS adblock-latitude is better than adblockplus on Serpent. For some reason, adblockplus and uBlock are no good on Serpent. Just look online for the adblock-latitude xpi file then drag it onto a Serpent window to install. You might need it otherwise most of the videos on youtube are very difficult to watch. You can disable it on other sites.

xphelper, Apr 3, 2022
  6. Ian

AM7

Someone recently posted this on MFSN.

"The Chinese have already upgraded their 360EE browser to v21.0 (Chromium 95 based), which has dropped altogether WinXP+Vista support and, to add insult to injury [​IMG], is being offered exclusively as a 64-bit binary... [​IMG] "

AM7, Apr 4, 2022
  7. Ian

Elizabeth23

C:\Documents and Settings\Elizabeth\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\suizapth.default

xp helper, you should find all your bookmarks etc, in the above folder, when I reinstall a browser, I merely copy all the folder to the new profile folder, thus preserving all my logins, bookmarks , etc.

Elizabeth23, Apr 4, 2022
  8. Ian

xphelper

Thanks Elizabeth23 for the reminder. I was having a hard time with the addons as at the time I was experimenting with ABP, ABL and uBlock couldn't decide which one to use. When upgrading a new browser version, I had trouble swapping the addons as those sites have removed the install links.

Luckily I found your other post regarding xpi, now problem solved. Just have to save the xpi somewhere safe in case we need them in the future. Now with the latest Serpent and the right xpi everything is good. Thanks again.

xphelper, Apr 4, 2022
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  9. Ian

xphelper

XP Pro SP3 is by far the best Windows version, it is possible to learn how to be self-sufficient (as long as we back up all the important programs and utilities, and know what we are doing). A well configured XP on a decent computer runs a lot faster and more secure than Windows 10+, not to mention the official support is pretty useless anyway. We get more support and useful info at this forum. There are always some workarounds.

xphelper, Apr 4, 2022
  10. Ian

XPAnarchy

This can't be real right? This is some kind of april fools day thing... right?

XPAnarchy, Apr 4, 2022
  11. Ian

cornemuse

I keep ranting & raving about the final Firefox version for XP, (52.9.0?) -> "PORTABLE".
    Heres what happened to me recently, This computer has a habit of wires/cables mainly sata data cables vibrating loose & the computer will not boot.
    I have external drive bays on *I'm looking at 5 computers*. I took the C:\ drive out of this computer & plugged it into another computer 'already running'. Used Disk Manager to bring it up as E:\, I think! doesnt matter.
    Navigated to "FirefoxPortable 52.9.0 folder, (what I named it)", opened it & clicked on "firefoxPortable.exe".
    It behaved exactly as it did/does on this computer.
    Periodically, I save this whole folder to a thumb drive as a backup.
    I dont have a 'smart phone', I have a 32G waterproof thumb drive with this same folder (minus links updates etc). I can plug it into any 'connected' computer, if they trust me! and it acts the same as this computer, though a bit slower. Just navigate to (above)

Get it here: (about 20 languages)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/portableapps/files/Mozilla Firefox, P.E. Legacy/Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition Legacy52 52.9.0/
    Direct d/l link here: (english)
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/portableapps/files/Mozilla Firefox, P.E. Legacy/Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition Legacy52 52.9.0/FirefoxPortableLegacy52_52.9.0_English.paf.exe/download
    Give it a try, it does NOT modify/alter your computer or registry in any way!

Only issue,repeat: "Only" is with Quora, which seems to hog all memory, turns computer into a snail. After Quora sessions I automatically close FF & then restart it.

Seriously, worth a try

-c-

cornemuse, Apr 5, 2022
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  12. Ian

ClippyBeer

ClippyBeer, Apr 12, 2022
    xperceniol and Elizabeth23 like this.
  13. Ian

tuller

opera and fireefox are good browser.

tuller, Jun 1, 2022
  14. Ian

cornemuse

I have installed MyPal (portable nach'!) (thanks Liz) use it mostly for quora. Faster there.
    I have an add-on called Zoom Page WE (Firefox) which increases text size - screen resolution etc. but cant find a version that works with MyPal, otherwise I might go with MyPal as primary browser.

edit:

zoomer.jpg

cornemuse, Jun 2, 2022
  15. Ian

Elizabeth23

cornemuse:

in MyPal
    tools/preferences/content/
    default font/ advanced

you can set the type size here , :)

Elizabeth23, Jun 2, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
  16. Ian

ClippyBeer

Closest thing I've seen to Zoom Page WE is Zoom Buttons extension. I can't find it anywhere on the web anymore so I am attaching a copy of the XPI file I had backed up. Unzip it.

In MyPal go to addons -> Install Addon from file....

[​IMG]

You should see 'Toolbar Buttons 1.1.1' in your extensions list.

[​IMG]

Right-click anywhere on the top-right toolbar and you should see this menu:

[​IMG]

Click 'Customize' and you should see a list of available toolbar buttons that can be added. You should also see the Zoom In, Zoom Out, Zoom Reset buttons. Drag them onto the top right toolbar and you'll be all set!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

ClippyBeer, Jun 2, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
  17. Ian

cornemuse

Thanx Clippy, I'll give it a try!
    Thanx Liz, I shoulda looked deeper into 'options', that setting is a major improvement.

cornemuse, Jun 3, 2022
    xperceniol and Elizabeth23 like this.
  18. Ian

xperceniol

xperceniol, Jun 7, 2022
  19. Ian

TMTGTR

I am very pleased with the unofficial XP SP4. been using it a few months with no issue and it has cut my fresh install process (due to hand installing security patches) by 90 minutes.

TMTGTR, Jun 18, 2022
    cleverscreenname likes this.
Ask a Question