Browser for Windows XP that works in 2019

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by KEPLERFM, Feb 16, 2019.

1. KEPLERFM

flavallee Guest

Feodor2 MyPal 28.8.4 has been released and works fine in Windows XP SP3 32-bit.

flavallee, Mar 27, 2020
  2. KEPLERFM

trimis

In my opinion there are way more reasons not to use Firefox, than there are to use it. I'd say it's only slightly behind Chrome in the race to violate end-user privacy...main difference is Chrome pretty much admits it, while Mozilla Mothership uses the 'Deny, Deny, Deny, Lie, Lie, Lie' strategy.

This 'new' PC I bought has Firefox 52.9.0 ESR on it, but only until I can get Mypal, Basilisk, Slimjet, and SRWare Iron up and running. As soon as MX Linux is installed, replacing Firefox with Waterfox, Ungoogled Chromium, and Slimjet will be my first priority. I have disliked Firefox for some years now, but stayed with it only because of the add-ons. Now that Mozilla has issued their decree for the developers to sabotage add-ons en masse, and replace them with crappy extensions...it's game over for Firefox, so far as I'm concerned.

trimis, Apr 6, 2020
  3. KEPLERFM

zaza

zaza, Apr 6, 2020
  4. KEPLERFM

Duchy

i feel like a fool for using opera. Should i switch to MyPal?

Duchy, Apr 8, 2020
  5. KEPLERFM

trimis

Could you give the link for downloading Serpent 55? I liked it on my previous Optiplex 755, but never bothered to write down where I got it or how I installed it, so with the hard drive meltdown I'm starting from scratch.

trimis, Apr 9, 2020
  6. KEPLERFM

ClippyBeer

ClippyBeer, Apr 9, 2020
  7. KEPLERFM

trimis

Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it. Unfortunately I can only handle 'exe' downloads at present. I installed 7zip as before in my previous PC, but this time around, I can't get it to actually do anything. Zip files will have to wait until I can get a tech guy to do a house call, and sort out all the bugs in this PC, and that probably will not happen til Commissar Newsom lifts his 'Shelter At Home' fatwa against...pretty much everything.

trimis, Apr 9, 2020
  8. KEPLERFM

ClippyBeer

That's odd considering 7-Zip works with all Windows versions from NT and up. Maybe you should try the command line version. Just run 7Z.EXE with the following parameters (If you just run the 7Z.EXE file with no options it will list all the parameters):

7z x -o{Destination drive\directory} {path\name of 7z file to extract files from}

For example: I just downloaded the latest Basilisk 55 32 bit build
    http://o.rths.ml/basilisk/basilisk55-win32-git-20200104-dc63b5b94-xpmod.7z
    to the root of my D: drive.

I went to the directory I installed 7zip, opened a command prompt and used the following command to extract all the files in the archive to my D: drive:

D:\Downloads\Portable 7-Zip 9.20\App\7-Zip>7z.exe x -oD:\ D:\basilisk55-win32-gi
    t-20200104-dc63b5b94-xpmod.7z

[​IMG]

All the files extracted successfully to D:\basilisk.

[​IMG]

If this doesn't work you may have downloaded the wrong version of 7Zip (64 bit version on a 32 bit version of XP). If that's the case then try downloading again.

https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Sure beats waiting around for a tech visit.

ClippyBeer, Apr 10, 2020
    trimis likes this.
  9. KEPLERFM

flavallee Guest

flavallee, Apr 10, 2020
  10. KEPLERFM

trimis

Yeah, CLI crapola screws with both dyslexia and ADHD, so I can't handle that. Just typing out a long-winded URL is enough to grind my nerves. I went looking, and the 'Basilisk52-g4.win32-git' was downloaded to 'My Documents'. Tried to get Windows to extract/install, but that went nowhere. I uninstalled 7zip. If it works at all, I don't know how to work it. I recall on the prior PC, I used it three times. First app it failed. Second app it worked. Third app it failed. Hit or miss. Mypal and Centaury are both exe files...no idea why the guy had to make Basilisk an awful zip! Anyway it will reside in 'My Documents' til Commissar Newsom lifts his fatwa against...well everything...and I can get a computer tech to crawl out from under his bed to make a housecall.

trimis, Apr 11, 2020
  11. KEPLERFM

None

Hello!
    Any browser that auto updates?
    MyPal doesn't seems to support it, and Maxthon is kinda heavy with all that stuff....

None, May 21, 2020
  12. KEPLERFM

flavallee Guest

Check the Feodor2 MyPal website from time to time for a newer version.
    The newer version will install over and overwrite the older version and retain your settings.
    The newest version at this time is 28.9.3
    https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases

flavallee, May 21, 2020
    None likes this.
  13. KEPLERFM

GaryB

MyPal works great for me in both my Acer tower and my Dell notebook computers running XP Pro. If you have problems with MyPal I suggest there's something wrong in your operating system.

GaryB, May 21, 2020
  14. KEPLERFM

flavallee Guest

I agree.
    MyPal is much easier to set up and use than Maxthon is.
    Maxthon also has a tendency to freeze up or bog down.
    I got rid of Maxthon in my Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit computer and use only MyPal.

flavallee, May 21, 2020
  15. KEPLERFM

None

Yeah, it is great, but It doesn't have auto-updates... As @flavallee said, we can download new versions manually, but if I had the option for an "install n forget" browser, that would be nice heheh
    Anyway, thanks guys!

None, May 21, 2020
  16. KEPLERFM

stvpls

mypal does support auto update, click about and then check for updates and it installs the latelest version, i did it few days ago and im happy that finally updates itself, its been enabled not a long time ago

stvpls, May 21, 2020
    None likes this.
  17. KEPLERFM

None

Oh, you are right! Found it in upd history:
    upload_2020-5-22_9-39-6.png

Apparently, they forget to update the README:
    upload_2020-5-22_9-41-24.png

Thank you :)

None, May 22, 2020
  18. KEPLERFM

cmccaff1

I realize it's been a long time since I last posted here, but I wanted to report on an interesting discovery.
    At this point, I've tried virtually every Gecko/Goanna-based browser that is still supported under Windows XP.
    I have been using roytam1's New Moon 28 fork for some time, and have enjoyed it thoroughly/consistently, save for one nagging issue: a glitch in Twitter videos that causes them to be pitched much lower than normal.
    Tonight, I tried his Basilisk UXP fork (Serpent) and it seemed to fix the problem (and you can actually copy + paste text properly in/from Google Translate now, an issue I had previously), but I was reluctant to trade in the benefits of using NM28 just to get that one feature.
    So on a wing and a prayer, I tried the latest update of MyPal (the only other Pale Moon fork for XP), and...IT ACTUALLY PLAYS TWITTER VIDEOS PROPERLY!
    Actually, it plays ALL videos properly for every website I've tried--Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc.
    This is something I've only otherwise been able to accomplish in Chinese Chromium-based XP browsers (post-Chromium 49), and for many reasons I cannot and will not recommend them to anyone.
    This is my advice to all who may see this: if you are still using XP, or want to use XP again, I cannot stress this enough...GET MYPAL AND NEVER LOOK BACK.
    You regain the classic (pre-Australis) interface AND it works flawlessly with nearly all known websites (save for a very small few).
    It is also the perfect option for any SSE2+ processor, because it doesn't use a ridiculous amount of RAM and still gives you access to modern web capabilities.
    I hope everyone's been doing well, and I hope to stop by more often in the future. God bless you all...and please stay safe!

cmccaff1, Jun 27, 2020
    trimis, cartpusher54 and Elizabeth23 like this.
  19. KEPLERFM

CathedralCity

I remember having screen reader issues with MyPal; NVDA did not like it at all! But maybe things have improved in the latest version, so I'll give it another try.

CathedralCity, Jun 27, 2020
  20. KEPLERFM

flavallee Guest

flavallee, Jun 27, 2020
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
Ask a Question