Browser for Windows XP that works in 2019

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by KEPLERFM, Feb 16, 2019.

1. KEPLERFM

cmccaff1

Hello! My apologies for not responding sooner.

It should be possible to use the Gecko 45 patch with 52ESR, but please be very careful--these patches were targeted at Gecko 38/45-based browsers, and there are just enough tiny differences between 45 and 52 that things could get screwed up a bit. The Gecko 38 patch can be used with Mypal/New Moon 27.x without any problems, but your mileage will definitely vary with 28.x (the Gecko 45 patch might work with Mypal/New Moon 28.x, but I would not personally recommend trying it; the Gecko 38 patch is a bit more risky given major differences between 38 and 52).

I am happy to report that the Gecko 38 patch is working perfectly in the latest update of roytam1's New Moon 27.x under Windows XP SP3 on my old HP Compaq DC5000 SFF with a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 (Prescott & no HT), 4GB of RAM (the maximum), a 40GB HDD (stock, and still working very well), and a DVD+/-RW drive. I've sent the Haswell into indefinite retirement and have the P4 back in business as my 'retro daily driver.' It is running like a champ--with XP and sticking with old versions of software, it kicks butt!

Attached Files:

cmccaff1, Jun 19, 2019
  2. KEPLERFM

Elizabeth23

I might go ahead and install the roytam1's new moon then just to check this out, :) Thanks,

Elizabeth23, Jun 19, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  3. KEPLERFM

WindowsXPforever

WindowsXPforever, Jun 19, 2019
    Elizabeth23 and cmccaff1 like this.
  4. KEPLERFM

cmccaff1

No problem, my friend! New Moon/Mypal 27 still work very well in 2019, and are the newest browsers that can run on virtually any PC you have (New Moon 27 has SSE and non-SSE versions available, and Mypal 27 will run on any processor that supports SSE instructions [it could probably be made to work on older processors, but as Mypal 27 is no longer being updated or maintained it's not worth the experimentation, at least not to me]).

cmccaff1, Jun 19, 2019
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  5. KEPLERFM

directxp

I, i have MYPal 28.5.0, so, what version of UOC patch i have to install?

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=67421

here there's written:

"For Firefox 38 ESR based browsers (i.e. New Moon 27): Click Here

For Firefox 45 ESR SSE and 45 ESR based browsers: Click Here".

And for Mypal 28?

Another question: What's the difference between UOC patch and RoyTam Browser?

Thanks, i'm a bit confused!

directxp, Jun 30, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  6. KEPLERFM

cmccaff1

Unless you know what you're doing, I wouldn't recommend the UOC patch, actually. I used it for a little while, and it broke some sites that I wasn't having issues with in the setup I usually use to configure a browser.

To answer your question, the best choice for Mypal 28 is the Gecko 45 patch, but as Mypal 28 is based on Gecko 52 then there could be some breakage given the small yet crucial differences between 45 and 52.

Patches are patches, browsers are browsers. You can apply the UOC patches to any browser based on the 38 or 45 Gecko code without any problems. It's not advised for anything older or newer, as there could be some broken features.

cmccaff1, Jul 2, 2019
    directxp likes this.
  7. KEPLERFM

directxp

So, your advice is: do not nothing. Right?

Then, repeat my question: What's RoyTam Browser?

What's, in your opinion, the faster browser for XP? And, what's the "better"?

directxp, Jul 2, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  8. KEPLERFM

Elizabeth23

direct xp, read through the whole thread to see the different browsers already recommended, I have 3 of them installed and use each one for different things. You need to install and check out which ones will satisfy your needs :)

Elizabeth23, Jul 2, 2019
    directxp and cmccaff1 like this.
  9. KEPLERFM

directxp

Other than this question, please, answer me to the other two ones above. Thanks, and sorry for all my questions.

directxp, Jul 2, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  10. KEPLERFM

cmccaff1

roytam1 is a very nice guy who lives in Hong Kong and maintains several different XP-compatible browsers, a crop currently including New Moon 27/28, Serpent 52/55, Firefox 45ESR & K-Meleon 76.

As Elizabeth said, the best browser for your system is going to depend on your needs, but besides that a lot is going to be predicated on the specs of your hardware. If you're running a very old system without a dual-core processor then I recommend New Moon 27 (if you're running on a PC that doesn't support SSE2) or New Moon 28 (if your computer's CPU does have SSE2 support). If you are running on a fairly modern (think Core 2-era or newer) multi-core system then you should have little to no problems running Serpent 52 or 55 (for the best HTML5 support & fewest bugs I recommend Serpent 55). Those are my recommendations, but you'll need to do your own trial & error to find what works best for you. Good luck!

cmccaff1, Jul 2, 2019
    directxp likes this.
  11. KEPLERFM

directxp

I have a single core Pentium 4 with SSE2 support, for this i'm using MyPal 28. In your opinion, between MyPal and NewMoon, what's the best?

Geko52 patch, it exists?

directxp, Jul 3, 2019
  12. KEPLERFM

Elizabeth23

direct xp, your questions are fine, :) that's what this forum is for, but you need to try something out sometimes and then ask questions, as for the patch, I have not installed it. But if you do make sure you have your browser profile backed up in case the patch breaks the browser,then you can just reinstall the browser.

Elizabeth23, Jul 3, 2019
    directxp likes this.
  13. KEPLERFM

Juin12

Hi, I'm using UC Browser, in date of July, 2019....Its is an execelent browser, based on chromium... extensions of google chrome works on it.

Juin12, Jul 11, 2019
  14. KEPLERFM

priscus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UC_Browser Wiki says it has security and privacy issues.

priscus, Jul 11, 2019
  15. KEPLERFM

WindowsXPforever

WindowsXPforever, Jul 11, 2019
  16. KEPLERFM

WindowsXPforever

Yep, it's a shi...er crappy chinese browser that no one i mean NO ONE should use it

WindowsXPforever, Jul 11, 2019
  17. KEPLERFM

directxp

This new UOC patch is compatible with MyPal 28?

directxp, Jul 12, 2019
  18. KEPLERFM

WindowsXPforever

Sadly no

WindowsXPforever, Jul 12, 2019
  19. KEPLERFM

looking4awayout

Hello, I'm Looking4awayout of L4Soft, the developer of the UOC Patch.

I want to report that the 45 ESR version of the UOC Patch + the Enforcer works on MyPal 28, New Moon 28, Serpent and Basilisk, as they are based on the codebase of Firefox 52 ESR. It's currently untested on Moebius due to the lack of hardware to test it.
    The 45 ESR version of the patch is conceived for all the versions of Firefox that start from 45 ESR upwards, even Quantum. It also works on SeaMonkey.

The 38 ESR version, on the other hand, is conceived for Pale Moon 26, 27, K-Meleon and New Moon 27.

The Macintosh version is based on the 38 ESR codebase, since TenFourFox and Arctic Fox use that one.

If you haven't done it already, please update to the latest version that you can find on MSFN, at the link that WindowsXPForever posted above.

I'm posting this reply from an old Mac Mini 1,1 with Snow Leopard and Arctic Fox, patched with the UOC Patch for Macintosh + the 38 ESR Enforcer, and it's incredibly fast. Don't forget to install the recommended extensions in order to increase performance and protection too. You can find the names on the MSFN thread.

-Looking4awayout

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    looking4awayout, Jul 13, 2019
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  20. KEPLERFM

CathedralCity

I tried Mypal. Its screen reader friendliness is questionable to say the least. Upon finding this out, I immediately uninstalled Mypal and installed K-Meleon 75.1.

CathedralCity, Aug 17, 2019
Ask a Question