Browser for Windows XP that works in 2019

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by KEPLERFM, Feb 16, 2019.

1. KEPLERFM

Dyehard

Don´t think you need to be a MIT graduate in computer science to understand that storing confidential personal information, state secrets, doing credit card transactions & online banking etc is NOT a good idea on any XP PC regardless of the browser being used. The hackers can´t steal what´s not there and if they lock up your drive with ransomware no big deal. No important info on there anyway. As in all things common sense rules the day. After all weŕe just having fun ... aren´t we?

Dyehard, Aug 18, 2019
  2. KEPLERFM

CathedralCity

@Dyehard I wasn't referring to its security, I was referring to how the browser worked with screen reading software. I think some people on this forum might need to be educated a little bit about how the blind use computers. Also, very rarely would I do any form of banking or shopping online. I feel that going to a store or even going to the bank provides a sense of community and social interaction that sitting at home and doing stuff online doesn't.

CathedralCity, Aug 18, 2019
  3. KEPLERFM

Dyehard

Don´t put any information on a XP system that you wouldn´t post on a public bulletin board at the local strip mall. Nostalgia and fun are all things you´ll experience while surfing the net with your XP PCs ... SECURITY ... not so much. Like I said ... common sense in all things will keep you and your confidential information safe.

Dyehard, Aug 18, 2019
  4. KEPLERFM

GaryB

If you had been using Firefox previously you would have had no problems with the MyPal 'friendliness' because everything about MyPal 28.6.1 is near exactly like Firefox. In fact, MyPal allows easier and more personalization than any version of Firefox ever has.

When the last ESR, Firefox 52.9.1, stopped loading three of the business sites where I absolutely must have access, I started trying all the other browsers labeled for XP Pro. I found that Chrome/Chromium based browsers literally suck when compared to Firefox. Both of those I tried would access the sites I needed, but Opera wouldn't work with any version of Flash, and Advanced Chrome would crash on certain web sites. When I tried MyPal all of my problems were immediately solved.

Now as we know, things keep changing, so MyPal may not work forever. Hopefully if that happens the programmer who produced MyPal will build another version that will once again fix everything, but as for now my my search for browsers is over.

MyPal 28.6.1 built around Firefox 60.9 (current) is absolutely great!

GaryB, Aug 27, 2019
    cartpusher54 and Elizabeth23 like this.
  5. KEPLERFM

directxp

directxp, Sep 2, 2019
    cartpusher54 likes this.
  6. KEPLERFM

cartpusher54

well i just found that 360 chrome browser has updated to version 78 of chrome for windows xp and vista and so that seems like a really cool idea for me as I am using this as of now.

cartpusher54, Dec 11, 2019
  7. KEPLERFM

Connor McMahon

I couldn't ever get the Epic Privacy Browser installer to open.

Connor McMahon, Jan 8, 2020
  8. KEPLERFM

Janice

I tried Epic some time ago but they told me that it does not support XP.

Janice, Jan 13, 2020
    Connor McMahon likes this.
  9. KEPLERFM

Sixthofmay

I've been in the hospital for the past month and a half. :(

I'm using in Linux Firefox 56 that has NPAPI plugin support (Mozilla Archive Format I absolutely need).

While I do run Firefox 68.4.1esr and Chrome (has frequent autoupdater) on Windows 7 64 bit, neither will install on XP. Plus neither has NPAPI plugin support. Mozilla Archive Format I absolutely need.

I'm looking for a browser that can run on Linux, has NPAPI interface and is patched against the following exploit:
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2020-03/#CVE-2019-17026

The Reddit threads suggest nothing is being done on browsers that can run on XP. Developers, this is a critical patch. While I can code in Object Pascal and Autoit, I'm guessing Firefox, Waterfox, Pale Moon are written in C++.

I could copy the Linux VM to the XP box. Hmmm...

Sixthofmay, Feb 9, 2020
  10. KEPLERFM

secpar

Browser MyPal v28

secpar, Feb 10, 2020
  11. KEPLERFM

Sixthofmay

Thank you for your recommendation,
    However based on https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/pale-moon-releases.390133/page-8
    and https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/commits/master?before=93f487041c4c9d19ab1ebb1214fb6202c7a96954+35 , the last commit to the MyPal project makes no mention of CVE-2019-17026. Pale Moon had it fixed on Jan 11, 2020. And it has maintained NPAPI support. The plugins in the latest versions Firefox and Chrome have no way of implementing the MAFF feature now only available in current Pale Moon and Slimjet and v56 or earlier Firefoxes. I dislike Slimjet as it crashes all too frequently. Pale Moon devs must get right to work on an issue as they make a commit every week or two. With MyPal, it appears they make a commit every month or several months. Why they wait for a critical issue, I have know idea. They have their priorities incorrect.

I installed Pale Moon instead. The look is already classic, but I tried installing Classic Theme Restorer for the new tab url feature and it blocked me due to security issues with the plugin. I ended up doing it using the about:config method. All my other NPAPI plugins installed fine. Bookmark sync works perfectly.

Sixthofmay, Feb 12, 2020
  12. KEPLERFM

secpar

Cool. Glad you found what you wanted.

secpar, Feb 12, 2020
  13. KEPLERFM

Sixthofmay

Sixthofmay, Feb 12, 2020
  14. KEPLERFM

secpar

Upgrade to Linux 19? Who knows, this is an XP forum.

secpar, Feb 12, 2020
  15. KEPLERFM

Sixthofmay

Sixthofmay, Feb 12, 2020
  16. KEPLERFM

secpar

XP forum != Linux forum

secpar, Feb 12, 2020
  17. KEPLERFM

flavallee Guest

Maxthon Cloud Browser 5.3.8.2000 and Feodor2 MyPal 28.8.2 (most current versions) are the 2 third-party browsers that I use in my Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit test computer.

They install and work well and support practically every website that I visit.

Maxthon has a lot of privacy and other settings that you might want to change.

MyPal is more user-friendly, especially if you're already familiar with Mozilla Firefox.

flavallee, Feb 24, 2020
    Janice likes this.
  18. KEPLERFM

stvpls

mypal, is updated

stvpls, Feb 28, 2020
    Janice likes this.
  19. KEPLERFM

flavallee Guest

flavallee, Feb 29, 2020
    Janice likes this.
  20. KEPLERFM

Katie Boundary

That's an invalid question; everything built on Chromium is doomed to suck.

You download and run the .deb package for whatever version of Ubuntu was the basis for Mint 17.

EDIT: okay you might be screwed. Mint 17 was based on Ubuntu 14.04, but new versions of Pale Moon are only available on Ubuntu 16.04 and up. You might have to *gasp!* use a newer version of Mint.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Katie Boundary, Mar 27, 2020
Ask a Question