Browser for Windows XP that works in 2019

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by KEPLERFM, Feb 16, 2019.

1. KEPLERFM

KEPLERFM

Today I just installed this browser and it worked on my Windows XP sp3:

http://www.maxthon.com

Is it a safe browser?

KEPLERFM, Feb 16, 2019
  2. KEPLERFM

KEPLERFM

imagem.JPG

KEPLERFM, Feb 17, 2019
  3. KEPLERFM

WindowsXPforever

Well if you like getting your information getting sold to the chinese goverment then its good browser to you,well
    personaly i recommend New Moon since its updated weekly
    https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-for-xp/
    I customised mine like this :)
    http://prntscr.com/mmqejo
    There is basilsk too that looks like Firefox 52 ESR :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    WindowsXPforever, Feb 18, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  4. KEPLERFM

Lockherup

Absolutely would not recommend this. It is the biggest piece of garbage that install all kinds of unwanted stuff on your computer and takes over a lot of settings. The browser itself isn't even anything special and there interface and configuration is horrible. This is ideally suited for a 15 year old and you will regret even trying for 5 minutes as I did.

The best way to go is the newest mypal, plays all vids and most media. The other is pale moon which is about the same.

Lockherup, Mar 14, 2019
  5. KEPLERFM

cmccaff1

Maxthon is the undisputed heavyweight champion with regards to support for modern web standards, being that it is forked from Chromium 61 (nowhere near the latest version, but still as good as you're going to get in XP given its score of 526 on the HTML5 test). However, there are a lot of tradeoffs that come with that package, including your information potentially getting sold to the Chinese government (and of course the significant lack of addons/extensions/themes being that it is not a widely used browser). Mypal 28.x.x is far and away the best browser for XP at this time (Mypal 27.9.4 is also still good for most sites, but its standards support is not as good as its successor; it remains the best browser for computer CPUs without SSE2 support).

cmccaff1, Mar 26, 2019
    CathedralCity and cartpusher54 like this.
  6. KEPLERFM

esc

is Firefox ok to use ? we use firefox a lot

1 Firefox
    2 Opera
    3 Avast secure browser ( seems like a google chrome clone )

stay away from google chrome

esc, Mar 27, 2019
    tingspace and cmccaff1 like this.
  7. KEPLERFM

cmccaff1

Firefox 52.9.1ESR, Opera 36.x, and Chromium 49.x remain good browsing options for XP in 2019. Of these three, I far and away recommend Firefox the most, because of its significantly longer support period along with its solid support for modern browsing standards/technologies. SeaMonkey 2.49.5 (unofficial WG9 build), MyPal 27.9.4/28.x.x, and the latest Centaury are also super-heavyweight options as far as XP-compatible browsers go. Even K-Meleon is still a contender thanks to roytam1's 77-series builds!

cmccaff1, Mar 28, 2019
  8. KEPLERFM

cartpusher54

I use it for facebook games like uno that will not load on mypal.

cartpusher54, Jun 12, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  9. KEPLERFM

cmccaff1

Ah, okay! If you're smart with your browsing habits, Maxthon shouldn't be too bad. For folks who don't do a lot of stuff that involves social networking sites, Maxthon is actually a decent choice. I'm glad it works for you!

cmccaff1, Jun 12, 2019
  10. KEPLERFM

cartpusher54

thanks I only use it for facebook everything else is mypal as it runs faster on this machine.

cartpusher54, Jun 13, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  11. KEPLERFM

cmccaff1

You're welcome--for me, Serpent 55 is a good choice for XP (presuming you have a processor with SSE2 and 2GB or more of RAM). It has better HTML5 support than New Moon/Mypal 28 and doesn't have the weird bugs affecting Serpent 52 and Centaury. It's now my main browser--it was deprecated by Moonchild Productions, but roytam1 still supports it with periodic updates.

cmccaff1, Jun 13, 2019
    trimis likes this.
  12. KEPLERFM

priscus

I use my XP systems solely for audio work.

There is no stored data that would cause me any discomfort if Chinese government, or anyone else be privy to it. If I go online, it would be only to download a score, or a MIDI file, or listen to music.

Is Maxthon a contender in this case?

Just what unwanted stuff and setting changes are encountered, and can they be easily negated?

priscus, Jun 17, 2019
  13. KEPLERFM

DonMurray

I used opera about 2 years ago on my Xp machine. It was a dell e6510 laptop and xp ran like a champ on it. .

DonMurray, Jun 17, 2019
  14. KEPLERFM

priscus

Yes, I am running Opera, Chrome and Firefox. They are fine for now, and it is not my main machine, so rarely used to go online.

However, if a competent browser is available, and is relatively future-proof, I recon it might be good to have it on board. I expect that the above mentioned browsers will only remain viable for a limited period.

priscus, Jun 17, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  15. KEPLERFM

cmccaff1

For now, Serpent 55 may be the most 'future-proof' browser there is, at least for those who still want to use their old XUL addons. Maxthon has the best HTML5 support, but a limited number of addons (and as of the last version I tried, it does not properly function with tiling windows).

cmccaff1, Jun 18, 2019
    tingspace and priscus like this.
  16. KEPLERFM

priscus

Thanks for that information.

priscus, Jun 18, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  17. KEPLERFM

Elizabeth23

I have firefox, and mypal , have not needed any other so far, tried serpent did not do anything extra that I could not get from firefox and mypal, :)

Elizabeth23, Jun 18, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  18. KEPLERFM

cornemuse

Firefox still workin' for me,

cornemuse, Jun 18, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  19. KEPLERFM

cmccaff1

I would still be using Firefox 52.9.1ESR, if not for a few 'quirks' it has which Serpent 55 doesn't (the main one being that if you keep it open for a few hours it tends to slow down to the point that you have to close it down and reopen it, in particular if you have many HTML5-heavy websites loaded; this is not an issue in Serpent 55 or any other roytam1-maintained Goanna-based browser). For my purposes, New Moon/Serpent 55 are the best choices, but after finding out firsthand that Serpent 55 has better support for HTML5 than Serpent 52 or New Moon 27/28 (and isn't affected by the longstanding Google Translate bug affecting Serpent 52/Centaury) this put it at the top.

For anyone who is still running a Pentium III/4-era machine or older, patches were recently released for browsers which use the Gecko 38/45 codebases that supposedly offer a significant speed boost. Perhaps against my better judgment I'm going to be reinstalling XP SP3 tonight on my old P4 and trying it out on RT's FF45ESR to see how it works--if it works well enough I just might recommission the P4 as my 'retro daily driver'! You can download both of the patches here: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=67421

cmccaff1, Jun 19, 2019
  20. KEPLERFM

Elizabeth23

cmccaff1, I am using firefox 52.9 ESR, can I use this patch?

could I use this patch in mypal?

Attached Files:

• cpu.JPG
      cpu.JPG
      File size:
      30 KB
      Views:
    Elizabeth23, Jun 19, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
Ask a Question