Windows activation 30 days

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by crille, Jul 27, 2022.

1. crille

crille

So, I used my old activation key to install XP but I still have to activate it after 30 days. How do I do that without connecting to the internet? And will something happen if I don't?

crille, Jul 27, 2022
  2. crille

Elizabeth23

3. crille

crille

crille, Jul 28, 2022
  4. crille

Elizabeth23

great :)

Elizabeth23, Jul 29, 2022
  5. crille

ClippyBeer

Haha I'm actually surprised XP can still be legally activated!

ClippyBeer, Aug 1, 2022
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  6. crille

cornemuse

What gets me is, in low these many years, I have never had to do more than install XP off the disk. Period.

cornemuse, Aug 2, 2022
  7. crille

TMTGTR

I may be wrong but I believe activation procedure is for XP Home versions. The XP Pro version does not require any activation AFAIK.

TMTGTR, Aug 2, 2022
  8. crille

Elizabeth23

no I have xp pro and it required activation the last time I did a new install, but it sailed right through because I saved out my files for activation:

Create the Activation Status

Navigate to system32 folder.

Copy the wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files

Reinstall XP in the normal manner

Restart the computer and use the F8 key to bring up the Advanced Boot Options

Select Minimal Safe Mode using Up and Down Arrow Keys and press Enter.

Navigate to system32 folder.

Rename the existing wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files.

Copy the previously backed up wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files to the system32 folder.

Reboot the computer.

Elizabeth23, Aug 3, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
  9. crille

cornemuse

FWIW
    Actually, I was told there are/were 'corporate' versions, which did not require avtivation/validation.
    Companys would buy 200 (for example) licenses, & not have to go through the activation process for each computer. It had to do with specific product key #'s

cornemuse, Aug 3, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  10. crille

ClippyBeer

There was supposedly a corporate student/tech edition that was used for techs to practice installing XP. It required a CD KEY to install but did not require activation. I've never seen one in the wild and suspect that they are referring to the Windows XP Volume Licensing version that was provided to medium to large companies.

ClippyBeer, Aug 3, 2022
  11. crille

xperceniol

I never thought about it, but I should also save and back up those files in case I goof up my system ... wouldn't be the first time I caused it.

I backed up the wpa.dbl file, but I don't have a wpa.bak file and I've made sure to un-hide protected system files. I guess I should back up all those files now that I think of it in case.

Thank you; Elizabeth :)

[​IMG]

xperceniol, Aug 8, 2022
  12. crille

Elizabeth23

wpa.bak is a backup file and you only need it if it has been generated at any time, :)

Elizabeth23, Aug 9, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
  13. crille

MisterEd

I installed Windows XP on a computer a couple months ago. When I tried to log into it a couple days ago it said I had to activate it before I could finish logging in. I have another computer that already has Windows XP activated on it. I have two copies of Windows XP Pro. That means all I have to do is figure out which Product Key is unused so I can activate this computer.

I had thought that someone said one time you could run Windows unactivated in a limited mode. I guess this is not true for Windows XP.

MisterEd, Aug 10, 2022
  14. crille

Elizabeth23

so copy the wpa.dbl file to the other unactivated computer, then see if that covers the activation.

Elizabeth23, Aug 10, 2022
  15. crille

MisterEd

I copied the wpa.dbl file from the other computer but it made no difference. I still get the message "This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate now?". I am going to restore the original wpa.dbl file and try activating the normal way.

Like the other computer Internet activation and phone activation failed. My only other choice now is to call Microsoft support and have them go through the activation process with me. I will do this when I get a chance.

MisterEd, Aug 10, 2022
  16. crille

MisterEd

I finally got a chance to call Microsoft. Windows XP Pro is now activated.

I wish Internet or phone activation worked. I hate having to call Microsoft just to activate Windows.

Now I need to remember to backup my computer.

BTW, the first post by the OP asked what will happen if you don't activate Windows XP before 30 days. I found out because it happened to me. What happens is Windows won't let you log in until you do activate Windows.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    MisterEd, Aug 11, 2022
  17. crille

Samir

I believe I may have a CD like this because it says something to the effect of 'refurbisher use only' or something like that on it. I'm sure it's out there somewhere as an iso as well. It seems this cd will simply load and activate automatically.

Samir, Aug 22, 2022
    TMTGTR and xperceniol like this.
  18. crille

MisterEd

Refurbishers sell used computers that I suspect many of whom come off lease by companies. They join the Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher program so they can buy discounted licenses from Microsoft for these computers. Microsof also requires these refurbishers to sell these computers with the media to reinstall Windows.

The Windows licenses from refurbishers have nothing to do with corporate or volume license versions of Windows.

What is Microsoft refurbished license?
    The Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher program is Microsoft's program for refurbishers who refurbish at least 20,000 PCs per year and satisfy Microsoft's requirements for enrolment. Microsoft Authorized Refurbishers are the only organisations that Microsoft permits to buy licenses for refurbished PCs directly from them.

How do I activate my Windows 10 refurbished license?
    From the Windows Settings page, select Update & Security. Select Activation from the menu on the left side. Choose Change Product Key on the Activation window. Where it says Enter a Product Key type in the key from the product key sticker - dashes will be entered automatically.

Resource Center – Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher
    https://devicepartner.microsoft.com...ource-center-microsoft-authorized-refurbisher

Microsoft offers up new Windows XP license for refurbished PCs
    https://www.engadget.com/2007-11-11...w-windows-xp-license-for-refurbished-pcs.html

Understanding the Different Windows XP Licenses
    https://www.technibble.com/understanding-the-different-windows-xp-licenses/

MisterEd, Aug 25, 2022
    TMTGTR, Samir and Elizabeth23 like this.
  19. crille

Samir

While this may be the way it is supposed to work, it doesn't work this way in the real world as almost all refurbishers do not provide media, and only some provide even a COA anymore. And most refurbishers are using a media that is already preactivated (like the Dell CDs), so they can just install and go. In fact, many just clone the image since it's the same besides the drivers. I own a lot of refurbished machines and this is from my actual experience.

Samir, Aug 29, 2022
    TMTGTR likes this.
Ask a Question