Installation

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by j.todd, Apr 2, 2017.

1. j.todd

Elizabeth23

How to Fix Error 619
    Step 1 – Right click the “My Computer” icon on the computer’s desktop.

Step 2 – Select “Properties” on the subsequently displayed menu.
    [​IMG]

Step 3 – Choose “Hardware” then “Device Manager.”

Step 4 – Right click the modem on this screen and select “Disable.”

Step 5 – Exit the screen and restart the computer.

I got the above info from here:

http://www.tech-faq.com/error-619.html

also check to see if you can get into the internet during safe mode with networking?

also how many users are there on you pc?? there should be the built in administrator and then your user account, guest should be disabled and also asp.net that gets installed with .net 2 framework, are there any others??

Elizabeth23, Apr 5, 2017
  2. j.todd

j.todd

Hi again Liz. Thanks for the info. Could not make it work as there was no disable tab. Finally got on the web though. Noticed that D link was connected, so found a driver. Was able to boot my son out of there and now i'm on the web. Now I have another problem. No sound. I did a trouble shoot, windows says ok. Do I need drivers for the speakers. Wabo 220 A. Also, pinball doesn't want to load. Any idea as to what I might have screwed up. Thanks again for everything. Jim

j.todd, Apr 6, 2017
  3. j.todd

Elizabeth23

How To Find Drivers For An Unrecognized Device

1. Open Device Manager (Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager)
    2. The hardware whose drivers are missing will appear as Unknown device, so it's easier to locate the device.
    3. Right click on the unknown device and click on Properties.
    4. Under the Properties window click on Details tab and select Device Instance Id from the drop down box.
    5. You should see a code similar to this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DC&SUBSYS_30868086
    &REV_01\4&1E46F438&0&40F0

6. The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

Vendor ID = 8086
    Device ID = 27DC

7. Once you have obtained both the IDs, proceed to

http://pcidatabase.com/

There you can either search for the vendor from the vendor ID or directly get information about the device along with the vendor name by searching with the device ID.

8. Then from there you can go directly to the hardware manufacturers website and get the driver.
    =============

when you go to device manager and right click on a device, you will get a drop menu that has these listings:

[​IMG]

you might go to one of the driver download sites that could scan you computer and show you what drivers you need,

https://www.slimwareutilities.com/slimdrivers.php

or read here and choose one:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2419843,00.asp

I have the following files for pinball, see if they are on your pc:

[​IMG]

Elizabeth23, Apr 6, 2017
  4. j.todd

j.todd

Hi Mike. Quick question since you are running linux. As I mentioned earlier I too have Linux on one of my drives. I am missing the driver for my speakers, as a matter of fact, speakers don't even show up in device manager. So, my question is. Can I go into linux, extract the driver and reinstall in windows xp. Thanks. Jim

j.todd, Apr 7, 2017
  5. j.todd

j.todd

Hi Liz. Sorry to bother you. Tried to start a new thread, couldn't figure it out but will. Got a new problem now. My son told me the reason for my troubles was that I hadn't formatted the drive properly. Tried to do an install. Worked fine until I got to the product key. Invalid number. I am using my CD (have lost my number) with his product number and won't install past there. Even when I reboot can't get past that page. Is there any way that I can obtain a legitimate product number or will I have to bite the bullet and scrap the system? Thanks again for all your help in the past. Regards. Jim

j.todd, Apr 7, 2017
  6. j.todd

Elizabeth23

use the key that is on the pc, and your cd , the only way this will not work is if you are installing pro where home was the original, and vise versa ( product key is 25 letters/numbers)

the post new thread button is to the left of your profile picture at the top of all forums. :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 7, 2017
  7. j.todd

j.todd

Hi Again. Thanks for the info, re. numbers and how to do a new thread. Tried the install twice, both times invalid number. Looked at the sticker again and noticed it was labeled 2004 and mine 2002. So, maybe it is a different version. Looking to buy another system on the net. Maybe I could get your opinion on doing a recovery on my original hard drive. I just used the F10 button, didn't work and I noticed when on the net that there are recovery discs. Should I be using one of those? Sorry to be a pain but I do really appreciate all your help. Thanks again. Jim

j.todd, Apr 8, 2017
  8. j.todd

Elizabeth23

what version of xp is on the disc and what version of xp is on the pc, (pro, home or MCE) ?

the older compaq's came with a recovery partition to CREATE a recovery disc but not to recover by pressing f10 or others, I will look through the compaq database and see how to go about this. :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 8, 2017
  9. j.todd

j.todd

Hi Liz. Info. My cd is Windows XP Home Edition with service pack 2, version 2002. On the computer Windows XP Home Edition. No version number but the certificate of authenticity says 2004. Liz. don't spend too much time looking. Now that you mentioned a built in recovery system, I will look too. Thanks again for everything. Jim

j.todd, Apr 8, 2017
  10. j.todd

Elizabeth23

there should be no problem with your using your cd and the product key that is on the pc.

have you ever reinstalled before??

disconnect all peripheals except keyboard and monitor.

set bios to boot from cd first

boot to cd and choose install,

select partition and delete the partition

create the partition to the same size as what you deleted

do a full format ntfs and NOT a quick format

then let it proceed and do not input activation at this time, do it later,

and if you have the original hard drive and are able to read the files then do the following:

Create the Activation Status

Navigate to system32 folder.

Copy the wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files

Reinstall XP in the normal manner

Restart the computer and use the F8 key to bring up the Advanced Boot Options

Select Minimal Safe Mode using Up and Down Arrow Keys and press Enter.

Navigate to system32 folder.

Rename the existing wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files.

Copy the previously backed up wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files to the system32 folder.

Reboot the computer.

do the above after xp is installed,

Note: the install cd has to be a genuine microsoft OR of the same OEM (hewlett packard) as the pc you are installing to.

=================

go here and read on using recovery partition:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07145

Elizabeth23, Apr 8, 2017
  11. j.todd

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Apr 8, 2017
  12. j.todd

j.todd

Hi Liz. Going to give up on trying to install that cd.Four times this week. Can't get past the product key number. Invalid. I'm either going to buy one off ebay or find someone near here that has the same version and get their number. Thanks for everything. Hope I haven't been too much of a pain in the keester. I will be back. Regards. Jim

j.todd, Apr 8, 2017
  13. j.todd

Elizabeth23

no prob, :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 8, 2017
  14. j.todd

Mike_Walsh

Hi, Jim.

Umm; no, is the quick answer to that one..! It doesn't work like that, and it illustrates one of the major differences between Linux and Windows.

I don't know how much you know about Linux, if at all. You've probably heard of the 'Linux kernel', if nothing else! Well, here's the rub...

Unlike Windows, where drivers have to be obtained and installed separately, with Linux, all drivers are 'built-in' to the kernel. With each new release of the kernel, more & more support for new devices is added.

The fact of the matter is that there is no way you can 'extract' the driver you want from the kernel; the kernel would have to be completely re-compiled.....and that's a major job of work even for the 'experts'..!

On top of which, it wouldn't work in XP even if you could extract it, since the coding is completely alien to Windows. The Windows NT kernel wouldn't know what to make of it.....

----------------------------------------------------------

You'll probably find the problem is not your speakers, anyway. It's more likely that you need the RealTek AC'97 codecs software installed. I run an SR1619UK myself; back when I ran XP on this box, I had to re-install the AC'97 stuff every time I performed a re-install of XP itself. I haven't checked the specs, but it's quite likely HP-Compaq have used the same sound chip in your machine, too.

(EDIT:- Nope, couldn't have done. Yours is Intel-based, mine is AMD-based. Totally different motherboards & sound chips.)

Is your problem that you don't have the volume control showing.....and that in the Audio controls window everything is greyed out?

----------------------------------------------------------

What I really need is the exact make & model of your motherboard.....but the problem you've got is the same as my own. Because your Compaq is over 10 years old, HP no longer list anything for your system on their site.....and unfortunately, that was the only place I could ever find the exact model no for my own mobo.

The other part of the problem is that MSI (who manufactured the board under contract to HP) won't even admit that the board exists. As far as they were concerned, because it was built to HP's contract specs, it was HP's responsibility, and nothing to do with them.....they 'washed their hands' of it the moment it left the factory.

Your 'puter uses the same '845-series' chipset as on my ancient Dell laptop.....but the way the AC'97 audio software is implemented varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. It's no good me letting you have the audio software I've got for my own Compaq, since my system is AMD-based; yours is Intel-based, so the microcode will be quite different.

-------------------------------------------------

Right. Now, then; your old Compaq has an MSI MS-6577 mobo, using the RealTek AC'97 ALC650/655 audio codec software/drivers. (I tracked the info for this down through a chance post on this rig on the HP Product Forums.)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskto.../CPU-Upgrade-for-Presario-SR1110NX/td-p/24678

Go to here, and download the codec pack:-

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/drivers/essentials/realtek-ac97-audio/

Install it, reboot, then if you go to the Audio controls window through the Control Panel, you should find that everything is no longer greyed-out. You should also have an icon in the tray which, when you click on it, will give you a complete control panel for the RealTek software.....including a fairly comprehensive graphic equalizer, along with preset sound profiles.

And your sound should be working.....

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Mike_Walsh, Apr 8, 2017
  15. j.todd

j.todd

Hi liz just thought i'd let you that I finally got my windows installed. A friend of mine put me onto a site that has product key numbers. After trying about 20 odd sets, I finally got one that would let me finish my install. Missing three drivers. Thanks again for all your help. Jim

j.todd, Apr 9, 2017
  16. j.todd

j.todd

Hi Mike. Thanks. I was about to give up on this old girl as I could not install due to an invalid product key. A friend of mine put me onto a site that lists a few of them and after trying about 20 sets, found one that worked. I am now good to go but still missing three drivers. Going to explore your suggestion tomorrow. I am finding out that I don't half as much as I think I do. Thanks again. Jim

j.todd, Apr 9, 2017
  17. j.todd

Mike_Walsh

Hi, Jim.

Ah, good to hear you've got XP installed, anyway. Yes, give things a go with the RealTek software, and let us know how you get on with it. You may find, even when you have the AC'97 stuff installed, that the volume icon still doesn't show. That being the case, there should be a checkbox in the Audio controls window to show the volume control in the tray. If you tick that, it should then show up.

Keep us posted, please..!

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Mike_Walsh, Apr 9, 2017
  18. j.todd

j.todd

H
    Hi Liz. I'm back. Sorry to bother you again. Have gone into device manager and found the ven and device numbers for the three drivers I'm missing. When I click on devices, there are a quite a few, don't know which one to pick. Went onto slimwares and was leery about it especially after McAffee did not want me to download the 360 program. Said there was a virus. The downloads that I got from you before, would they be suitable. missing Videv controller, vga compatible- multi media controller and ethernet controller. Now that I have come this far, I don't want to screw it up. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jim

j.todd, Apr 13, 2017
  19. j.todd

Elizabeth23

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51573

MA 5.0.3 is the last version that supports xp, according to above, I would not use this antivirus but you should go to the 360 by qiho as it is still supporting xp, download it to a flash drive, disconnect from the internet, scan with malwarebytes free edition . I would trust that before mcafee and there is also virus total:

https://www.virustotal.com/

where you can browse for a file and have it scanned by virus total.
    =============

if you download from the 360 home page there should be no infection, but I always download to desktop and then scan any download with malwarebytes and 360, I have been using 360 for about 3 years.

==============

if you do not download slimdrivers from download.net, which is not a very good reputation it should be fine.

as for the drivers, please provide me with the 2 ven and device numbers for each and I will check them out for you. :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 13, 2017
  20. j.todd

j.todd

Hi again.Here's the info. Videv controller, ven 8086, dev 2562, Multi media controller, ven 8086, dev 24C5, Ethernet controller, ven, 160C, dev, oooo. Thanks again. Jim

j.todd, Apr 13, 2017
Ask a Question