Installation

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by j.todd, Apr 2, 2017.

1. j.todd

j.todd

Hi. Have inherited an old compaq computer with windows xp installed from my son. System crashed and I could not do a recovery. Installed another hard drive and reinstalled my copy of xp using my son's product key, lost mine. Changed the administrator and the user accounts. For some reason I connect to the Internet. Have tried all sorts of tips from the net but nothing seems to work. I'm wondering if I need to change the system folders and how do I go about doing it. Or, any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jim

j.todd, Apr 2, 2017
  2. j.todd

Elizabeth23

am not quite clear what the issue is , You do not want to connect to the internet??

Elizabeth23, Apr 3, 2017
  3. j.todd

j.todd

Hi Sorry I missed a word. I do want to connect to the Internet but for some reason computer won't recognize my wifi

j.todd, Apr 3, 2017
  4. j.todd

Elizabeth23

have you installed the wifi driver??

or any drivers??

need the model and model number of the hp compaq (Presario or what?? and the number)

32 or 64 bit

xp home or pro

laptop or desktop

what service pack??

Elizabeth23, Apr 3, 2017
  5. j.todd

j.todd

Hi Liz. I think drivers might be my problem as I can not get sound either, but since I can't get on the internet, I can't download them. Computer is desk top Compaq Presario. Installation cd is original, home edition and includes service pack 2. Don't know about the bit part, but I;m guessing 64. I might add that I am not completely saavy about computer stuff but not illiterate either. I am using a book from the library(Microsoft Windows XP, second edition) and whatever else I can find on the internet. Thanks for your help. Jim

j.todd, Apr 3, 2017
  6. j.todd

j.todd

Hi Again. Forgot model # PC129A Thanks

j.todd, Apr 3, 2017
  7. j.todd

Mike_Walsh

Here's a thought.

Do you want to carry on with an outdated, extremely unsafe operating system.....or would you like to try one that's easy to use, fast, bang up-to-date.....and totally free?

I'm talking about Linux.

Have a look here, at the Linux Mint website:-

https://linuxmint.com/

I won't recommend Puppy Linux, which is what I use myself.....because it's not really for beginners. Mint, on the other hand (especially the Mate or Cinnamon versions) is a direct drop-in replacement for XP. Even has the same kind of layout.....so it would seem immediately familiar.

Just an idea.....entirely up to you. But, in all honesty, as one of our other members has recently said, in the interests of safety & security, this site really ought to be exploring ways to help people get away from XP. Even if that might seem traitorous to some..!

Mainly because it's getting harder & harder to find anything up-to-date that works with XP any more (and in the next 12 months, virtually all browsers, anti-virus, anti-malware, etc. - the important stuff) will be finally dropping support for XP.

Just my two-penn'orth. I certainly can no longer recommend using XP for anything like online banking, e-mails, etc.

Mike. ;)

EDIT:- BTW, can you confirm the amount of RAM your old Compaq has got installed? Is it still 256 MB.....or has it been maxed to 1 GB? If you right-click on My Computer->Properties, that should tell you how much is installed, down near the bottom.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    Mike_Walsh, Apr 4, 2017
  8. j.todd

Elizabeth23

@j.todd, I could not find a model pc129a

look on the tag which should be on the side or back of the tower, what else does it say??

please give me all the numbers and letters and I can tell which will be which

also to see if you have 32 or 64 bit, go to start, on my computer right click and choose properties, if you do not see 64bit listed anywhere on the general tab then you have a 32bit system,

will wait for the info. :)

once i find your drivers, you can download them from a working pc to a flash drive and then carry the flash drive to the compaq presario and install from the flash drive, remember that the chipset will be installed first, but more on that later.

Elizabeth23, Apr 4, 2017
  9. j.todd

Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh, Apr 4, 2017
  10. j.todd

j.todd

Hi Liz. Mike has given me that info. Pc129a is an sr1100 series with a 32 bit prescot based single core celeron d35. Once again thanks

j.todd, Apr 4, 2017
  11. j.todd

j.todd

Hi Mike. Thanks for the info. I am just playing around with this compùter. It actually has two operating systems one of them was windows xp and the other is linux.

j.todd, Apr 4, 2017
  12. j.todd

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Apr 4, 2017
  13. j.todd

j.todd

Hi Liz. Found a sticker inside. S.no 20002 12000458. P.no 517284. Presario SR1110NX. It also has a sticker on outside bottom. SR 1000. HW BOM On 4141110. SW BOM NA43. System no. PC 129A. Ser. NO. MXM43101Y4. Hope this helps. Thanks again for your help. Jim

j.todd, Apr 4, 2017
  14. j.todd

Elizabeth23

https://www.driverdr.com/compaq-drivers/compaq-presario-sr1110nx-desktop-pc-drivers-free-download

go to the above site and download the chipset driver and the ethernet driver

install the chipset first and then the ethernet driver and then once you get online you can have your system scanned for further drivers, I have spent a long time on the hp website trying to get drivers for your system and inputting various numbers from the ones you gave me, I gave up there are several driver download sites on google and looking through them I chose the one above, let me know if you can get these two drivers installed. we can go on from there. :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 4, 2017
  15. j.todd

j.todd

Hi Liz Thanks for all your efforts. Sorry you had to spend so much time looking. I did too and finally gave up. Downloaded the two drivers and tried to install. couldn't as windows said i needed to install windows installer 3.1. Tried to download that one but didn't know which one to download. Also tried to install a Belkin Desktop PCI card # F505000t, that wouldn't load. Don't know whats going on. Would you mind(when you have time) looking at the Microsoft Installer 3.1 site and tell me which one to download and install . Please don't spend too much time on it. Thanks again for everything. Jim

j.todd, Apr 5, 2017
  16. j.todd

Elizabeth23

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=D7389B68B3A275AD!834&cid=D7389B68B3A275AD

above is my one drive, you need to download and install the 4.5 installer as that is the latest installer for xp, it is in the folder marked 4.5, and also download xp3 (in folder sp3), and IE8 (16.1 MB), these will all be necessary to update xp fully, afterwards you will want to install firefox 52 ESR as that is the only browser so far still supporting xp.

you might also want to download and install offline an antivirus, I use 360 Total Security Essentials, (because it does not have the extra tools that the Total Security version does)

https://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/features/360-total-security-essential/

under the download button is a line saying download full package, this is the one you want so you can install offline, and further down the page is a green square on the right which you can download the virus database also, you only need to download bitdefender as the avira database is with the full package download.

Note: if you want to install the total security package instead of the essentials package there is a tool included that will look for and download/install any updates needed., but will take even longer than it will take with windows update. you are looking at at least 200 updates to bring xp full up to date, :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 5, 2017
  17. j.todd

Elizabeth23

reply 2: will be online for about 2 more hours, it is not 7:24pm CST :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 5, 2017
  18. j.todd

j.todd

Hi again Liz Thanks a million. Which IE8 folder do I download

j.todd, Apr 5, 2017
  19. j.todd

Elizabeth23

IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU , all the rest will say a kbxxxxxx number and this is the only one that is 16.1mb :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 5, 2017
  20. j.todd

j.todd

Hi Liz. Thanks again for all your help. Have downloaded and installed everything you said. Still no luck. Have contacted my internet service, still no luck. It seems to me now that my son is the hangup as I keep getting an error code of 619. Is there any way that I can get rid of him. I have changed the owner and the administrator, but he is still there. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jim

j.todd, Apr 5, 2017
Ask a Question