Hmmm, , , , Off Topic, , , ,

I have had a doughnut in ages.

Thinking of you all here and sorry I've been away. Looking forward to catching up ;)
Those are pretty much up there with crack cocaine, lol. I used to eat a dozen hot and fresh when I could get my hands on them. Slice one down the middle with a knife and fork each half and then repeat until you are stuffed. :)

You haven't missed much as not many people out there are on XP, and there's not really any issues with it that aren't already solved. :) It 'just works'. :D

boffo accept cookies.jpg

Wow, I scored!
At my favorite computer shop where I scrounge their 'recycle box', there was a case I wanted. Lotta comp stuff inside. At home I started to remove the inner workin's & noticed: fairly new 480W psu, fairly new cdrom, 4 G ddr2 memory, I realized everything was there but an HDD. Oh, and probably enough lint to weave a small blanket!
Mobo is ASUS M2N68 plus. I woke up this morn at 4:00, couldnt go back to sleep, so, got one of my batch of $6.00 hdds installed a copy of XP Pro 32, smooth as silk! Went on line with this comp & D/L'd all relevant drivers/audio/grafix etc, and am most of the way to a fine functioning computer! Another thing in the junk box is/was, a WD media player *WD TV Live* about $125 new. The thing is, this is new, everything sealed in plastic bags. The lady there did not care & did not want it, so 'natch, I took it. Hooked it up to my AVR *HDMI* works like a charm!

-c-

Liz said:
I agree, I can barely remember to check my email at least once a month, and now everyone seems to want me to get a cell phone, Home Depot will not honor my military discount, (air force 11 years :) ) because it has to have a cell phone to scan or something like that, I have a landline, do not want everyone to be contacting me when I am doing anything other than sitting by the phone!

Air Force? 11 years? Yow, I too was in USAF for 4 years. I worked on 'ejection seats'. What did you do usaf 11 years?

FWIW, I have a cell ph. needed it for work, "cheaper than gas", NEVER paid (after 1st fone) for another. They kept upgrading (3-g 4g 5g) & are required to replace fone for free. Also, I always insisted on the new one to have a 'removeable' battery. I have a small die grinder, and used it to remove the plastic so's I can take out the battery, flip it over, re-insert it so there is no power connection 'batt to fone', phone is OFF!

Phone on, batt dies in about five days, off, batt dies about 7 days, batt flipped over, I recharge it every 3 months whether it needs it or not. I dont make or get many calls since retirement.

Tracfone has a 1 year card with 400 minutes & they allus give me 400 more, 800 total. Card is $100, a little over 8 dollars a month.

-c-

For 6 years I was a carpenter in civil engineering , mostly just a jack of all trades doing service calls all over the base, :), then got stationed at Shemya afb and thru my back out lifting too much. So for the last five years I was in communications, sending messages, etc.

ejection seats? sounds interesting, did you go through a lot of test dummies?? :)

As for a phone, I still do not want one, I am just not a phone person, I have a sister who takes one hour just to say hello, takes me .03 seconds, :) :)

I do have a cell phone both for convenience and so I can be reached in the event of emergencies. I do not like to yak on the phone, my conversations can be measured in seconds. Friends and family know not to bother me during work or dinner unless it's an emergency. They've also learned I don't do tech support on the phone, I only do on-site tech support. It was frustrating at first but after me abruptly hanging up on them a few times they learned my rules.

I almost joined the air force after I graduated high school - this was due to the move "Top Gun". I really wanted to be a fighter pilot. The recruiter noticed my glasses and informed that 20/20 vision is required for fighter pilots. I went to University instead and got my Comp Sci degree.

Talking of flying got me reflecting on something.

I am in UK. My father was in RAF.

When he thought that I had begun to show some competence in Engineering, he really wanted me to become a Flight Engineer. (In his time, I think it was not unusual for FE to trump the pilot)

I too do not meet eyesight requirements (at that time) which services demanded for piloting a fixed wing aircraft. Although being pilot qualified is not 100% essential for FE, lacking this was enough to dissuade me from pursuing that career option.

I did end up spending my early career in defence electronics. Eventually, I left engineering to pursue a different profession. My last employer in this field was a UK outfit which Howard Hughes bought, and upon his death, it eventually became part of Raytheon Corp. So, oddly, although I did not become a FE, I ended up in reality doing very much the sort of stuff which I would have been engaged with had I so done.

And, the final irony being the developments in microelectronics, particularly LSI, microprocessors and microcontrollers are now well on their way to be making the role of Flight Engineer redundant: today increasingly fewer planes require a Flight Engineer.

As they are practitioners with high level technical qualifications, I guess they have redeployed without noticeable unemployment difficulties.

Still, "There but for fortune"!

Talking about flying,

I was out cruising in my car on a saturday (every saturday!) and ended up in Elsinore CA. I stopped at the local gliderport & took a ride from one of the clubs located there. I was hooked! Over the years I noticed many people do NOT like having a motor in front of them.

no moto is ok by me!
-c-
*Same license as fighter pilots, just limited to gliders*

Back