Hmmm, , , , Off Topic, , , ,

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by cornemuse, Sep 18, 2019.

1. cornemuse

cornemuse

Talk about anything non-XP related in this forum section.

I just fixed breakfast, 2 eggs, bacon avo ex sharp cheddar scramble.

I allus buy 'jumbo' eggs. Took 2 outta the carton, they were both double yolked eggs! Last dozen, the first 2 eggs outta the carton were double yolks also.

What are the odds??

Posts dont hafta be about computers!

cornemuse, Sep 18, 2019
    trimis and priscus like this.
  2. cornemuse

Computer semi-expert

Once I saw a picture of a dozen eggs in a skillet, all of which were double-yolked!

Computer semi-expert, Sep 18, 2019
  3. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

I love bacon and eggs! :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 19, 2019
  4. cornemuse

priscus

It is difficult to answer that question, isn't it. You are sampling from a heavily pre-selected sub group, on account of their size.

Google says about one in a thousand of eggs laid by all chickens have two yolks, though for very young chickens, it is close to one in a hundred, but that does not help to estimate the proportion of very large eggs that are double yolks.

If we had a little more information, we could get into Bayesian Inferences: now that is interesting territory.

priscus, Sep 19, 2019
  5. cornemuse

cornemuse

Thats what I was talking about!

cornemuse, Sep 20, 2019
  6. cornemuse

cornemuse

I ran across this one MANY years ago:
    by computer.jpg

cornemuse, Sep 20, 2019
  7. cornemuse

priscus

HAHA love it!

priscus, Sep 20, 2019
  8. cornemuse

Computer semi-expert

Strangely prophetic...

It's funny how that works.

Computer semi-expert, Sep 21, 2019
  9. cornemuse

ClippyBeer

Yesterday I was in my backyard with some friends grilling. I bought some nice rib-eyes, salmon, beef ribs, and of course burgers and dogs.

I love this time of year. Gone is the oppressive suffocating hazy hot humid swamp weather. Gray hazy skies are replaced by brilliant azure blue. Beautiful sunny pleasant weather to be outdoors, no mosquitoes or other biting insects. I try to enjoy every day that I can in the fall because the pleasant weather doesn't last long. I also love the fall foliage. Pretty soon the cold will be here which I don't mind, much prefer it to summer here. Well, except the bitter cold with biting wind.

ClippyBeer, Sep 23, 2019
  10. cornemuse

trimis

I always go for the jumbo eggs too. Usually get at least three eggs that are double yoked, but then I look for them. Before I buy a carton I open it up, and jiggle each egg. If one is stuck, I know it is broken. Double yolked eggs are fatter or longer than regular ones, so I look through 3 or 4 cartons for one with the most....sometimes, if no one is looking...I'll cheat! I usually have a big bowl of chicken-vegetable soup for breakfast, but since perfecting the recipe I often times run out. Then I switch to two eggs over easy, two hash browns, handful of fresh-made bacon bits, and two slices of buttered toast.

trimis, Nov 10, 2019
  11. cornemuse

priscus

Are you guys managing to stay slim on all this?

I often have two slices of toast: just one extra slice, and the weight will pile on.

I do exercise lots, maintain my > 10,000 steps a day. On days when I don't take a bike ride, will sit and pedal on recumbent exercise bike for hours whilst watching a movie etc.

Maybe its an age thing. Managed to stay slim for almost seven decades, but now I can do so, but not without considerable effort.

priscus, Nov 10, 2019
  12. cornemuse

Mike_Walsh

Explain to a Brit, will you please.....the meaning of the term 'over easy', when referring to how eggs are cooked? I've seen this expression so many times over the years, and it just doesn't 'mean' anything to me.....

And what ARE 'hash browns'..?

My usual breakfast consists of porridge; I think you guys on t'other side of "the Pond" call it 'oatmeal'? I'm a light eater in the first half of the day; can't really face food till after lunch-time, at the earliest.

@ priscus:- I've got to the stage where that extra bit of middle-age 'spread' simply WON'T shift any more. Regular as clockwork, I used to put on half-a-stone (7 lbs or so) over the course of the winter, yet during the summer the following year it would all come off again. I varied from 11-11 and a half stone, year in, year out.

Until I reached the stage where that half-stone wouldn't disappear one year... Grrr!! That was a few years ago now..... Heigh-ho. That's life, I guess..!

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Mike_Walsh, Nov 10, 2019
  13. cornemuse

trimis

Nope, I'm over sixty, about sixty pounds over my ideal weight, and no longer care what I weigh. My Neijia, Chi-kung, and Neigung prevent me from becoming obese. That's good enough for me. I've wasted too much time watching what I ate, obsessing over the ideal weight, etc. None of the males of my bloodline made it beyond age 65 no matter how far back on the family tree one looks, so now it's me time!

trimis, Nov 11, 2019
    cornemuse likes this.
  14. cornemuse

cornemuse

Hash browns:
    Grate your potatoes, squeeze out as much liquid as you can, fry in oil, I prefer bacon fat or lard.

What I do is retain the liquid in a flat dish, theres a lot of potato starch in it, lift one side of dish with a spoon or etc, push it all to lower side of dish (with side of your hand), let sit a few minutes, put spoon under the other side, liquid will run to low side, 'potato water', in a few minutes pour it off, mix all the remaining starch in the potatoes. losing that 'water' loses a lot of flavor, so salt liberally. ladle on some spicey sausage gravy & enjoy! [My way they come out like pancakes]

FWIW:
    weights per dozen
    ;
    there will always be variation between individual eggs so weighing by the dozen averages out these small differences.
    • Small: 18 ounces (about 1.5 ounce per egg)
    • Medium: 21 ounces (about 1.75 ounce per egg)
    • Large: 24 ounces (about 2 ounces per egg)
    • Extra-Large: 27 ounces (about 2.25 ounces per egg)
    • Jumbo: 30 ounces (about 2.5 ounces per egg)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    cornemuse, Nov 11, 2019
  15. cornemuse

cornemuse

What do you-all do in your lives besides computers?
    They've allus been toys for me!
    I worked with/around heavy equipment for 40 years. I enjoy fabricating/welding steel, I have 'tig, mig, & stick welders' gas welding torches etc. I maintain my own vehicles (two older diesels-Kalifornia = NO smog tests!!), tho now at 72 I pay others to do the heavy work.

Lets hear it from you all, , , , ,

-corne-

cornemuse, Nov 11, 2019
  16. cornemuse

Computer semi-expert

You've missed one of the finer points of life, Mike.

Computer semi-expert, Nov 12, 2019
  17. cornemuse

trimis

Same here, except I put the shredded potato in a paper towel lined bowl to press out the liquid, take out the towel, then mix in a dash of sage, big pinch of powdered parsley, eighth teaspoon smoked paprika, pinch of thyme, pinch of garlic powder, and quarter teaspoon onion powder. I then make bacon bits by chopping up three strips bacon, and add that to the potatoes. Fry in butter with a drop of Wrights Liquid Smoke (hickory), lid on. When it's done I set it on a steam bath (double boiler) to keep it hot, while I toast two slices bread, and do two eggs over easy, then bring it all together. Eggs on the bed of hash browns, mashed up together....bite of it, bite of toast.

trimis, Nov 12, 2019
  18. cornemuse

trimis

My Neijia, Chi-kung and Neigung take three to five hours to complete, depending on whether I do the forms slow (like they are supposed to be done), or in fast mode. After that I'm just off and on the computer til bedtime. At least once a week I do have to go out for groceries, which pretty much kills the whole day....otherwise a recluse.

trimis, Nov 12, 2019
  19. cornemuse

Looping79

It's just so good ! Here in France not so many people are eating salty things for breakfeast unfortunately...

Looping79, Nov 12, 2019
  20. cornemuse

priscus

Are any of you still able to buy freshly sliced bacon?

For some years now, have only been able to get the pre-packed stuff, which oozes white snot when you cook it.

priscus, Nov 12, 2019
Ask a Question