Dual booting Windows XP with Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by Janice, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Janice

Janice

I have installed Windows XP Professional. Is it possible to install another XP Professional on a different partition of the same HDD, using a different ISO CD, to dual boot with the first installation - or is it a crazy idea :p

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Janice, Sep 6, 2019
  2. Janice

WindowsXPforever

It is

WindowsXPforever, Sep 6, 2019
  3. Janice

Computer semi-expert

Computer semi-expert, Sep 6, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  4. Janice

Janice

I need a little more help. Above thread tells how to do it with 2 Hard Disks. I need to install the 2 XPs in the same HDD. I am good at partitioning but I have no experience with the Boot.ini file, never even seen it. So I need a little more explanation before I can attempt this.

Janice, Sep 6, 2019
  5. Janice

Elizabeth23

6. Janice

Janice

Elizabeth,

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

The above is how the operating system is shown in the Boot.ini of my present OS. Looked at it in msconfig.exe. There are 2 differences between this and what is shown in the Computer semi-expert's post-see below. The two arrows < > around the 'Friendly name' are missing in mine and there is also the part 'noexecute=optin' which is found only in my Boot.ini. Can you please explain these?

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="<Windows from Dead Computer>" /fastdetect

Janice, Sep 7, 2019
  7. Janice

Computer semi-expert

Change the multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1) to multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2).

The rdisk parameter tells Windows which hard drive to boot from. The partition parameter tells it which partition on the hard disk to load from.

The arrows are not required. I just put them there to specify that it can be replaced with whatever you want.

Computer semi-expert, Sep 7, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  8. Janice

Elizabeth23

https://www.techrepublic.com/forums/discussions/what-does-noexecuteoptin-mean-in-bootini-file/

The /noexecute parameter enables Data Execution Prevention (DEP), a set of hardware and software technologies designed to prevent harmful code from running in protected memory locations

(64bit versions of windows enforce DEP to be on at all times.)

On 32-bit windows platforms, there are 4 possible policies that can be declared. They are, from weakest to strongest:
    /NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSOFF
    /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
    /NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT
    /NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSON

The default value is opt-in, where DEP will be applied only for those computer programs, which declare that DEP should be used.
    Opt-out enables DEP, but allows the program to opt-out.

above is an excerpt from the thread in the first link

the thread you cited the <> were for an example

Elizabeth23, Sep 7, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  9. Janice

Janice

Is it advisable to change mine to alwasys on?
    If my Boot.ini gets corrupted when I modify it for dual booting, can it be repaired or recovered?

Janice, Sep 7, 2019
  10. Janice

cornemuse

or is it a crazy idea :p

I have to ask. Why have the same os on two different dual bootable partitions?

cornemuse, Sep 7, 2019
  11. Janice

Leokids

Its Possible But Two Windows xp? No!!!!! Two Windows xp Cant dual boot!

Leokids, Sep 7, 2019
  12. Janice

Janice

Please go away!

Janice, Sep 7, 2019
  13. Janice

Computer semi-expert

Cornemuse: If Janice wants to have two Windows XP installations on her computer, more power to her! Maybe she likes it so much that she has two copies.

Leokids: Windows XP can dual boot with another Windows XP. It can be a bit tricky to set it up, but it is possible.

Computer semi-expert, Sep 7, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  14. Janice

Elizabeth23

janice, the choice is yours, I have never changed mine from the default, so far knock on wood, :) it has been fine, like the thread I linked to it would seem to be what programs will not work with DEP always on, this would be a trial and error.

when you set folder options to see system hidden folders, along with boot.ini you will see boot.bak, this is a backup of boot.ini, and you can always copy it to another location as many times as you wish to save. Your boot ability can most always be repaired with fixboot, fixmbr, and boot config in the recovery console, or with a bootable rescue disk such as hiren's.

Elizabeth23, Sep 7, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  15. Janice

Janice

Thank you Elizabeth. I will keep the default setting in my current OS and type /NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSON for the one I am about to install. If I see any difference in behavior I will let you know.

At what point should I edit the Boot.ini. When the new OS is installed in a separate partition and when it has booted up?

Janice, Sep 7, 2019
  16. Janice

Janice

Could you please tell me about the tricky areas so that I can pay more attention to those?

Janice, Sep 7, 2019
  17. Janice

Elizabeth23

you can do it when it is already installed, no problem

Elizabeth23, Sep 8, 2019
  18. Janice

Janice

I was just about to do this when another question popped up. When I have installed the 2nd OS in Partition 2 there will be 2 Boot.ini files. From what I understand I should edit only one of them. Which one should I edit to keep the 1st OS (on partition1), as the default OS-the one that will boot if I don't make any selection from the menu at start up.

It looks to me that I must edit the Boot.ini of the 1st OS, which means after installing the 2nd one, I have to reboot. This will boot the 1st OS (because I have not edited Boot.ini although I have installed the 2nd OS). After that I edit the Boot.ini of the 1st OS?

Have I got it right?

P.S. This must be the sort of thing that Computer semi-expert was thinking of, when he said "It can be a bit tricky to set it up"

Janice, Sep 8, 2019
  19. Janice

Elizabeth23

http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/news.php?action=view_story&id=151

above is pretty clear instructions, except for the size of the partitions,, you should have at least 40gb for an xp install, as windows requires 15 to 20% free space to work with or your pc will be slow or freeze. Disregard about installing Audio program as this guide can be used for just 2 plain old xp's. :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 8, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  20. Janice

cornemuse

I'm just wondering why?

cornemuse, Sep 8, 2019
Ask a Question