Dual Boot XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Customization' started by Ray, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Ray

Ray

Hi!

I have two XP systems in my home office. One has some expen$ive software that will not run on W10 and another Small Form Factor PC that just died. I would like to take the HD from the dead PC that has XP already installed and mount it in my beloved Dell T3400. Can I dual boot the T3400 with an added HD with XP already installed?

Thanks

Ray

Ray, Mar 3, 2019
  2. Ray

Elizabeth23

just remove the other hard drive and install the the one with xp already installed. Or, you can place the drive from the dead pc in an enclosure, change the bios to boot off usb and boot to it that way.

Elizabeth23, Mar 4, 2019
  3. Ray

Computer semi-expert

Sure thing. All you need to do is edit your boot.ini file a little on the T3400.

Warning: Make sure you have both hard drives in the T3400 BEFORE you try this!

Go to Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. Type in the following commands, pressing Enter after each one:

cd C:\
    C:
    attrib -s -h boot.ini

Now go to My Computer and open C:\. Open boot.ini in Notepad for editing. Enter the following text at the end of the file:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="<Windows from Dead Computer>" /fastdetect

You can replace <Windows from Dead Computer> with whatever you want the boot menu to say.

Save the file. Now reboot and you should see a nice beautiful menu with both OSes.

Hope this helps you. If it doesn't, tell me and I'll get back to you.

Computer semi-expert, Mar 15, 2019
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
Ask a Question