XP is far from dead

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by dperecky, Jan 23, 2014.

1. dperecky

mikephorse

xp professional

Is there any difference in the latest SP3 for xp and xp pro ?

mikephorse, Apr 1, 2014
  2. dperecky

Elizabeth23

sp's for xp are all the same, only one basic difference is that xp 64bit systems only go up to sp2.

Elizabeth23, Apr 1, 2014
  3. dperecky

mikephorse

two administrators

Thank you, one other problem I have with a recently acquired 2nd hand PC running XP

Pro is that I cannot remove the pre-existing 'built in computer administrator'

I have two at the moment, one is Mike (me) and another is 'computer administrator'

Is there a safe way to remove the second one ?

I want to run sfc/scannow but keep getting message 'you must be a administrator'....

mikephorse, Apr 3, 2014
  4. dperecky

Elizabeth23

1. you cannot remove the built in administrator, that is what you should use as a backup and not for everyday use.

2. sfc/scannow is not going to run w/o a lot of complaining unless you have a cd with sp3 slipstreamed into it.

3. is the Mike account an administrative account or a limited user account.

if you are having issues please open a thread in one of the xp forums here that best suits your issue. Thanks

Elizabeth23, Apr 3, 2014
  5. dperecky

superxp

Xp is awesome

I used to have xp, thanks to my friends it is broken. This is a letter to all the microsoft people. DONT kill xp. I like xp and always will love it.

superxp, Apr 8, 2014
  6. dperecky

superxp

dude do you like xp? Please post a good xp related comment. I have an xp related computer and after 3 years i am still not giving it up. Until the end of my life I will not give it up

superxp, Apr 8, 2014
  7. dperecky

midwesttech

There is indeed hope!

Even though I personally am partial to Windows7 over 8.1, all of my virtual machines (24) run XP pro sp2 for multiple reason. I already was running into some issues with my newer usb drives not formatting properly, my systems's audio buffers becoming slowed and choppy, so a business associate referred me to his program XP Legacy, which contained powerful format tools and more. I liked it so much that I purchased five copies and asked if I could also be a distributor for his software. my company is now an authorized distributor for XPLegacy, which is a program that keeps your XP system up to date with new and existing tools and software updates. It is a clean and light program that is tested and proven on systems running XP Professional SP2 with 800mhz, 128mb ram, and 16mb video memory. You have to have a network connection to retrieve the physical updates, but who doesn't have the Internet in America anymore? I personally know the developer, and know he doesn't put anything malicious programming or scripts in them like many people offering services like these. Check out the eBay page if you like, my name is midwesttech87.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions about it, I'm pretty excited to move into this field personally, and the gent I know that developed XP Legacy has been programming since I had just started playing with Windows 3.1 in 1994 when I was in gradeschool. If you have any questions that are past my skill set, I can happily get you in touch with him.

midwesttech, Apr 10, 2014
  8. dperecky

Elizabeth23

@midwesttech, please do not use the forum for personal advertisement, Thank you.

Elizabeth23, Apr 10, 2014
  9. dperecky

SenpaiDSwegg

well still i'm using windows xp sp3 and i'ts kinda boring - - - so i had changed my sp theme into 7 and 8 theme

xp is kinda cool and user - friendly (except BSOD)
    so i'm still sticking on xp for the rest of my life - maybe

~xp

SenpaiDSwegg, Apr 11, 2014
  10. dperecky

Honduras 2811

I guess I would have to say that I do work on my computer, with tools that I am familiar with. I have no use for social networking. As I said in another thread, I've tried both 7 and 8. I found 7 to be marginally usable. I found 8 to be crammed with things I don't need/won't ever use, and it is very difficult for me to even navigate in it.

Other than Win 7 and 8, I haven't bought a piece of 'new' software for more than 10 years. I just haven't found anything new that does anything I need done.

Older software interests me more than the new bloatware. I've almost finished putting together a development suite consisting of Borland Turbo C 2.0, Borland Turbo Prolog 2.0 and Borland Turbo Assembler 5.0. All three were originally released in the 1980s. No frills. No bells and whistles. No bloatware. These are tools. Bells and whistles will not help them do their job. I doubt that any of them would run on Win 7 or 8.

Honduras 2811, Apr 20, 2014
  11. dperecky

windowsfan

Windows XP is installed on lots of computer, but it's better to upgrade to 8.1.

windowsfan, Apr 20, 2014
  12. dperecky

metastasis69

XP will still be the king of OS, no one else comes close to it's performance and I will use it for the next 6 years on my OLD computer.

metastasis69, May 8, 2014
  13. dperecky

Anixx

Actually there are only three reasons why one may need to migrate to another OS from XP:

- Security. Not a big issue as of now if one uses a modern browser and anti-malware. Most browsers and antiviruses still support XP.

- DirectX 11. If you are a gamer and want tesselation.

- Hardware support. Not a big issue as of now. Most hardware still ships drivers for XP. Conversely migrating to a new OS may bring issues with older hardware.

Anixx, May 10, 2014
  14. dperecky

xp-will-never-die

i made a account just for posts like this

ok lets get a few things correct

fact xp pro and xp cooperate service pack one are rock solid my pc customers had a heck of a time crashing it it was stable and took abuse

fact xp pro and cooperate can read 3 gigs yes drawback of ram but xp recognizes up to 4 cause and uses them

ok xp updates a joke

i ran cooperate for years never ran update

only up date i allowed was service pace one it made it more stable

service pack 2 tried to be win7 to much crap

ok fact i have a German friend who runs a forum who has run xp neked no updates

no security

ok i read a post on here xp wont keep up with the net

fact for any windows versions updates are bad media player whatever it is now crap

use oldversion.com

media player 9 or 10 work great quit updating

quit using chrome Google other browsers all hackers know them and there weak spots like IE

i use old version fire fox ver9 its fast light has add on security has ability to scramble search engines from seeing what you search

fire fox ver 9 win7 and xp flies on the net never a site i cannot use

its a scam marketing

only truth to xp leaving is like this crappy dell all in one wont give you xp drivers and very hard to find they only give 7 and 8 drivers

xp is dying because all pcs work with Microsoft even custom built pcs you have to use 7 or 8

i am going back to my pent 4 5 pound laptop fro xp

7 and 8 are unstable no matter who screams there fine i lost my 7 4 or so times me and malware i had protection and got nailed

if you mess to much to make it your 7 likes to crash

i love it its a drive by gold mine for me and elderly and others who dont need all the cores and ram

man dumpsters side of the road recycling plant

in a town near me sneaking in at night to the giant drop off box they have

wow parts working the lot refurb test make sure its all good load xp sell or donate

i always asked my customers does it meet your needs are you happy

would a mem or hard drive update fix

i have 2 still running pent 3 machines and almost never call me

i always have to calm people down and remind them of that fact is it still doing what you want

then dont let them fore new os or machine down your throat

they released 7 early and the pent 4 s could not handle the calls to revers it back took a couple weeks

if you want and like ne fancy shiny pcs and if you love 7 and 8 hey im happy that you mastered it

but to many 7 and 8 users and posting that stupid news scaring people out of perfectly good pcs and old os

but its user problem users out dating windows xp only codecs and a few others need new updated version

i know because that how i did and do run my xp as old as possible

fore fox 9 is old there on 20 or so

media 9 or 10 old but stable and run good

get k light mega codec pack gives you ti oldest windows media player it runs movies music most everything

and it runs good because it has codecs and very light drain on windows so better performance

thats me to each there own but i will always laugh and reap the rewards of upgrading

i already filled a church a kids club to get them off the street all very happy running great

so thanks yall take care and think your decisions over before action

xp-will-never-die, Jul 19, 2014
  15. dperecky

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    Hello all from Aunty Jack,

"To be, or not to be, that is the question". In this case and all the posts, whether to use XP for nostalgic reasons or because it is still one fine OS. Some of us cannot afford the latest in hardware, some can. We all have free choice in which OS we use or prefer. Speaking for myself, I have more sheer fun with XP on ten year old hardware than using Win 7 Home Premium on our main PC here, the AMD 64 bit maximised in every way. Yes we have two PC's at home so I have a choice and always seem to use the old PC and tweaking XP to the max for the sheer fun of it. XP (32 bit) runs anything I throw at it even the biggie on resources, Microsoft Flight Simulator X. (the full version, not a cut down crippled version if any forum members are into flight simulators or were pilots and still like the next best thing to actually flying a real aircraft). Each to their own really. I started with the old Z80 chip machines, then DOS, then Windows from Windows 1 to Windows 7. Still, my choice, I prefer XP.. To forum member XP-WILL-NEVER-DIE I say congratulations and if you can bring wayward kids into a church club by using XP, more power to you and your good works.

Enough of my opinions anyway.

Cheers,

Aunty Jack.

Aunty Jack, Sep 4, 2014
  16. dperecky

fingerfood12345

I think you are quoting the wrong writer. I love XP, and if you re-read my post, try to find what arrogant question I posed; I can't.

fingerfood12345, Sep 7, 2014
  17. dperecky

fingerfood12345

thank you, Elizabeth, for your kind words, and support.

fingerfood12345, Sep 7, 2014
  18. dperecky

Elizabeth23

you are welcome :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 7, 2014
  19. dperecky

eatup

I have XP/7 running on the same 7-year-old machine. Holy crap, Microsoft really dropped the ball after XP. This 7 year old duo core can barely do 720p videos in Windows 7. In XP, it easily rips thru 720p. Sometimes it has audio-syncing issues with 1080p videos. Maybe the file is fragmented, but never stuttering video, even at 1080p. I can't even get 12fps for 1080p videos on this machine in Windows 7. What in the world did you do to "computers", Microsoft?

(On a side note, I have another machine that is 2 years old that came with Windows 7. But I'm on XP on it for 99.9% of the time. Possible that will be the last Windows machine I buy, lest MS gets their crap together and produce a good OS! What's the point in upgrading to 7/8/9 from XP? Having a faster machine simply masks issues that are present in my old Duo Core not on the hardware level, but at the operating system level!)

eatup, Sep 21, 2014
Ask a Question