XP is far from dead

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by dperecky, Jan 23, 2014.

1. dperecky

dperecky

In fact, it XP still commands much of the market share... It's still a viable OS for a lot of people.

Considering the age, it speaks of lasting popularity and reliability.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP (fifth paragraph)

source: http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsof...p-anti-malware-support-until-july-2015-234374 (nineth paragraph)

source: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsof...e-at-21-percent-goal-of-13-percent-by-april-8 (second paragraph)

All things considered (Win7, 8)... IMO, it's pretty impressive numbers.
    ====================

For those who haven't heard, Microsoft announcement of limited support of antimalware announcement until 2015:
    Microsoft antimalware support for Windows XP
    source: http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2014/01/15/microsoft-antimalware-support-for-windows-xp.aspx

dperecky, Jan 23, 2014
  2. dperecky

eduxRO

Well, i can live with anti malware support till 2015. In any case i wont remove XP,as it's still the fastest,simple,and gets the job done. And i tried a lot,most of the linux distros,win 7,vista,etc. If you harden it a bit with mse,malwarebytes and all, it's still a good choice

edu

eduxRO, Mar 6, 2014
    WindowsXPforever likes this.
  3. dperecky

Elizabeth23

@ eduxRO, you should also use a different browser instead of IE8, I am using firefox, chrome is considered more secure, but I do not like chrome.

Elizabeth23, Mar 6, 2014
  4. dperecky

NR1

hejj im new here "D

NR1, Mar 7, 2014
  5. dperecky

eduxRO

Elizabeth23 , thanks. I am using it . I use it exclusivelly since the 2.0.20 release. I love to have my plugins,and firefox is better in my opinion. I don't like chrome either

eduxRO, Mar 7, 2014
  6. dperecky

Led Zeppelin

greetings everyone i have just joined you all on this site and long live XP.

Led Zeppelin, Mar 7, 2014
    WindowsXPforever likes this.
  7. dperecky

eduxRO

hello. I'm pretty new too,but hey. Xp is ever green ,hehe

eduxRO, Mar 7, 2014
  8. dperecky

evaipar

But, why is microsoft ending support for XP? Where should i move to now?

I have been using XP ever since i have seen a computer. I have only 512 mb RAM and too low hard disk space. I don't want to upgrade my h/w. What OS should i use now? Should i keep using XP or not?

evaipar, Mar 10, 2014
  9. dperecky

Elizabeth23

@evaipar, that is your choice, I would get more ram, xp can see up to 3.5gb, as for hard disk space, I have a 39gb drive with 70% free, I do not have lots and lots of programs, just office 2003, os and some few programs.

If you do not want to upgrade your hardware, go with win 8.

Elizabeth23, Mar 10, 2014
  10. dperecky

JA1

I had to make an account simply to say this:

Are you out of your mind? Using an operating system that was built 10 years ago and say that you would prefer it over the cleaner Win 7/8 is like saying you would like to go back to the netscape-HTML 2.0 era , why would you want to miss out on all the new features and better performance? I mean I understand fully the old-school sentiment attached to XP but I just don't see why you would want to stick to a soon-to-be obsolete operating system when programs start demanding higher ram/cpu capacity. Last time I even laid eyes on XP was 4 years ago....

JA1, Mar 16, 2014
  11. dperecky

proudjock

kind of an ignorant thing to say, most people on here like myself have most likely had a lot of experience with both windows 7 and 8, but don't see the point in simply giving up and discarding a device which is in good working order and has served them well for years, not to mention those who simply can't afford to upgrade. A lot of people see the value of something to them personally instead of chasing what ever is on the front of the shelve (exactly where the marketing companies want you)

proudjock, Mar 17, 2014
  12. dperecky

Elizabeth23

@proudjock, I agree with you. I like xp and for the most part understand what I can and cannot do with xp, and since I am unemployed, cannot afford to upgrade.

practice safe browsing and keep a good antivirus, such as Kaspersky (paid) and use firefox or chrome and you will still be able to safely surf the internet.

Make sure that you run an antivirus that will still support xp after its end date of april 2014

Elizabeth23, Mar 18, 2014
  13. dperecky

fingerfood12345

I will stay with XP as long as I can. Why? Simple: I haven't found anything yet that XP can't handle. Maybe my computer taskings aren't as experimental as yours, but for what I do, and want to do, I have not yet seen any reason to make a change for the sake of change - that doesn't make sense to me.....

fingerfood12345, Mar 18, 2014
  14. dperecky

xperience

I'll be getting rid of XP when it is no longer supported, it dosen't make a whole lot of difference as I have Vista and 7 on other machines.

xperience, Mar 28, 2014
  15. dperecky

Elizabeth23

If you can upgrade that is great, but many of us cannot afford to upgrade and have to keep what we have, there are some people still running 98!! :)

I was born in a time that things were made to last, unfortunately current society believes in planned obsolescence. as an example: I bought a hand held hair dryer from sears in the 70's and it lasted about 15 years, now I am lucky if I get one to last a year.:(

Elizabeth23, Mar 29, 2014
  16. dperecky

xperience

I agree we live in a throw away society, the PC I have XP on I will keep as it's old I'll put Linux on it, the PC I have 7 on is 7 years old and I've no intention of buying a new one until it dies and the laptop with Vista on is old but working well and until that goes I will keep running it as I'm one of the few that actually like Vista.

xperience, Mar 29, 2014
  17. dperecky

Led Zeppelin

well said xperience..and i agree with you...i will not be buying another pc just because XP support is coming to an end...i plan to install linux mint as a duel boot system.

Led Zeppelin, Mar 29, 2014
  18. dperecky

xperience

Linux Mint is excellent and very similar to XP and I've installed it on a virtual machine and it's excellent, if you install the software Wine you can run windows apps through Linux.

xperience, Mar 29, 2014
  19. dperecky

treBone

Fingerfood your arrogantly-phrased question was ably answered by Elizabeth 23. People who are on a low income (e.g. unemployed, disabled, retired) cannot afford to move from the O/S they have known for many years.
    My son (single parent of 2 teenagers, all 3 with XP computers) certainly cannot afford to do so, even though he works.
    Like you, I am fortunate enough to have a full retail copy of Win 7, which I love, but I still maintain their machines and I can still use XP as a result.
    As you are a Win7 user, it begs the question: why on earth did you have to register on an XP forum, if only to express your distaste for XP and your low opinion of those who still use it, some without a choice?
    May I direct you to the excellent windows 7 forums? -
    That should be your natural home!
    FYI I am also building a Win 98 SE system, do you have another foolish comment to make regarding that?

treBone, Mar 31, 2014
  20. dperecky

Elizabeth23

@treBone, if you will read Fingerfood 12345's post again you will see that the arrogant reply is from someone else and he was quoting!! :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 1, 2014
Ask a Question