Xp installation

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by j.todd, May 20, 2017.

1. j.todd

j.todd

Hi. Just tried to register my installation of xp? Couldn't do it. Apparently the product key I used to do the install was invalid. Has anybody got any suggestions. Thanks. Jim

j.todd, May 20, 2017
  2. j.todd

Elizabeth23

where did you get the product key from? you do not have to register, but you do have to activate.

if it is an oem pc the product key is tied to the pc, if it is home you cannot install pro.

what is your version and what type of install media did you use?

Elizabeth23, May 20, 2017
  3. j.todd

j.todd

Hi again Liz. Didn't think that this would be much of a problem. I got the product key off one of the internet sites. I must have tried about 20 sets of numbers and the last one worked. I have my original microsoft cd, windows xp home edition, service pack 2, version 2002. I am trying to install it on a compaq pressario desktop, which at one time had windows xp installed untill the hard drive crashed. Could not do a recovery, so went out and got another drive. I'm thinking now that the mother board might be my problem as it might be generating numbers from the original install. I do legitimately own this windows cd. Any sugesstions greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all your help. Jim

j.todd, May 20, 2017
  4. j.todd

Josbeph

What you do is you choose activate over telephone. Yes Microsoft has cut for support for XP but you can actually still activate it over the phone. And phone activation is very good! Have used it on a number of machines ranging from XP to 8.1.

Josbeph, May 20, 2017
  5. j.todd

j.todd

Hi. Tried that. Told there was an error and to contact a local tech rep. He tried as well but said it couldn't be done. Thanks for your input. Jim

j.todd, May 20, 2017
  6. j.todd

Elizabeth23

when I did this a few months ago, on a different pc, when there are the spots to input your product key, it is not the product key that came with the pc :) it was one that was above the boxes, I typed that in and then it gave me another number to count as the activation.

on mine I do this so I never have to worry about activation:

Create the Activation Status

Navigate to system32 folder.

Copy the wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files

Reinstall XP in the normal manner

Restart the computer and use the F8 key to bring up the Advanced Boot Options

Select Minimal Safe Mode using Up and Down Arrow Keys and press Enter.

Navigate to system32 folder.

Rename the existing wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files.

Copy the previously backed up wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files to the system32 folder.

Reboot the computer.
    ============

and also when you call hang on without pressing buttons until you get to a human, :)

Elizabeth23, May 20, 2017
  7. j.todd

j.todd

Thanks Liz. Sorry to sound dumb, but how do I create the activation status, as I can't get by the activation page. Jim

j.todd, May 20, 2017
  8. j.todd

cornemuse

I've heard this for many years about 'activating' XP. I have never had to do anything beyond intering the prod code (5x5 numbers) during installation of both XP-32 [pro] & XP-64. Whats with phone and/or online activation?? Never done it, never had to do it, , , ,

-c-

cornemuse, May 20, 2017
  9. j.todd

priscus

Lucky you.

Back, around 2007, my PC was struck by lightening. At least that is what I first thought. The bolt hit a few feet from my machine, and knocked it out, I guess because of current surge.

Upon examination, PSU, HDD, Optical Drive, and just ONE memory location ruined. Rest of system fully functional.

Replaced the damaged items, and all again working. Of course, the new XP install not accepted on M$ activation site. (Same install disk and CoA: nothing changed there.)

Had always been told you can get activation by phoning M$ in these circumstances.

Never managed to persuade M$ to grant activation. Seems to be pot luck/ depending on who you get to speak to.

priscus, May 20, 2017
  10. j.todd

Elizabeth23

if you use the original oem install media, you will not need to activate it will be automatic

when parts are replaced MS has a certain number of parts that can be replaced without invalidating the product key, but the parts have to be exactly the same as the bad parts. This is what I have read in other forums, fortunately I have not replaced any bad parts so far, knock on wood, :)

@jtodd, watch this video, if you have any questions post back, this is what I did the last time on a different pc:

Elizabeth23, May 21, 2017
  11. j.todd

Josbeph

No problem

Josbeph, May 21, 2017
  12. j.todd

j.todd

Hi Liz. Thanks. Tried it. Didn't work. After 3 phone calls to India,finally got a person who told me what to do. Found a you tube video that described exactly what I had to do. As a result I now have a product key from my cd. So going to do an uninstall and try again. Want to back up my drivers before doing it. What and how is the best and easiest way to do this. Thanks again and sorry to be such a pain. Jim

j.todd, May 22, 2017
  13. j.todd

Elizabeth23

there should be a folder on the c drive or possibly the program files with the pc manufacturer's name (dell...) and inside will be a drivers folder.

Or you can go to your manufacturer's website and download drivers from there.

also there is a certain order for drivers to be installed what is the make and model and model number of your pc??

also make sure that you copy the files to create activation (above post) so you do not have to go through this again.

Elizabeth23, May 22, 2017
  14. j.todd

j.todd

Hi Liz. Thanks. Is there a proper way to do an uninststall and a reinstall of the same operating system. All I want to do is change the product key number. Jim

j.todd, May 26, 2017
  15. j.todd

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, May 27, 2017
  16. j.todd

j.todd

Hi again Liz. Thanks for the link. Did it and tried to activate. No luck. Went back to the cd and checked the number then used the link to again the number. Once again, no luck. Is there something else I should be doing or could do. I did notice that the numbers that Microsoft wanted did not change after putting in the new product key. I do legitimately own this Windows CD. Once again a big Thanks for all your help. Jim

j.todd, May 28, 2017
  17. j.todd

Elizabeth23

the number in the registry WILL NOT be the same as what is on the coa or the new number you got, I do not know why everyone says to use a key finder!!

the key in the registry is generally an oem volume licensing key.

when you got the number from microsoft you should have already been activated, what error messages are you receiving?

Elizabeth23, May 28, 2017
  18. j.todd

j.todd

Hi Liz. I was not able to get a number from microsoft. The first set of numbers I used to install windows, I got from the internet. That # did not work. Talking with a microsoft tech rep, he told me that the number was inside the CD. Found a video that showed how to get it. That # has not worked either, even when I change the # via the link you gave me (wiki how). Since xp is not supported, it is tough getting answers from them. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I did find a way to extend my activation days. Take care. Jim

j.todd, May 28, 2017
  19. j.todd

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, May 29, 2017
  20. j.todd

j.todd

j.todd, Jun 4, 2017
Ask a Question