XP install put OS in 2 partitions

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by ALX, Jul 20, 2022.

1. ALX

ALX

After replacing the mother board and a hard drive, I used my system recovery disc to install XP. I wound up with part of the OS in drive C:\ and part in Drive E:\ which is a 2nd partition on the main HDD. There are many redundant files between the 2 partitions. There are other files that are unique, such as 'Program Files' is on E: but not on C:. When I boot up, I need to choose which partition to boot from. I really thought all OS files and directories would go to drive C:. I'm wondering if the reason I wound up with this extra partition on my hard disk was because of information from the recovery disk. I've heard that Dell uses a separate partition for a backup OS. I'd like to merge all files to C:\. Is there a way to do this with the tools that come with XP?

ALX, Jul 20, 2022
  2. ALX

TMTGTR

Wow. I jave never seen this before and clearly would not know what to do...

I personally would scour the net first. That is what I would do. If I was on a desert island, I'd use Hiren's MiniXP cd for 32bit (It's all over the web). I'd then use mini-tools partition wizard to merge the partitions. Two things:
    First I bet someone else on this forum knows better than me.
    Second, I presume my method will not work because though everything is now on C:\, million registry keys would still point to E:\
    Oh thirdly, the computer might not boot at all.

So before any of this, I'd back up every file I wanted to an external storage, then try above, which would surely fail, then reinstall Windows,

Not much help, but perhaps someone knows what to do.

TMTGTR, Jul 20, 2022
  3. ALX

Elizabeth23

when you install xp, you can create partitions, but you cannot install on an already partitioned disk.

Elizabeth23, Jul 20, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
  4. ALX

ClippyBeer

If you are referring to the system recovery disc(s) that USED to come with XP era machines then one partition is the main OS (XP) and the other is a recovery partition (usually accessible when pressing F8 just before XP boots up).

[​IMG]

You should be able to recover your PC without the discs in this manner. Those discs are provided in case of hard drive failure. Any new Windows PC you purchase will have the recovery partition but no longer include recovery discs. Usually there will be a utility included that will allow you to burn the recovery discs or in some cases they can be ordered from the vendor.

ClippyBeer, Jul 20, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
  5. ALX

ALX

Yes... I had to create the recovery disc myself back when I first got this system. I'd like to resolve this without doing a completely new installation which will likely set things up in the same bizarre manner.

ALX, Jul 20, 2022
  6. ALX

ClippyBeer

ClippyBeer, Jul 20, 2022
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  7. ALX

cornemuse

I have never tried imaging. I will give it a try!
    The Macrium link only has ver 8. This work with XP?
    -c-

cornemuse, Jul 21, 2022
  8. ALX

Elizabeth23

do not know about version 8, I have version 7.2.4473, but I have also not used it, I had planned to as I believe that it was ClippyBeer that put a great instruction post on it, not sure since i cannot seem to find the post.

Elizabeth23, Jul 22, 2022
  9. ALX

Elizabeth23

10. ALX

ClippyBeer

I never tried until today. Good news, version 8 works on XP SP3 32 bit.

[​IMG]

The bad news - only one browser in XP will download it - 360Chome 13.5.1030.0. I tried MyPal 29 & 68, Serpent, 360Chrome 11 but none of them would initiate download.

Download ArcticFoxie's 360Chome 13.5.1030.0:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182993-360-extreme-explorer-arcticfoxie-versions

Go to https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree and scroll down to Backup at Home -> Reflect 8 Free. Click on 'Download Free'

A dialogue box will open (this wouldn't open in any other XP browser except 360Chrome 13.5.1030). Tick the 'I need a personal free license' and click 'continue' (the email field is option, probably if you want to register the product for support, I left it blank, I don't need no stinkin' support).

As in version 7 it will download a small 5.37 MB installer ReflectDLHF.exe. The install procedure is pretty much the same as version 7 where it will download the actual Macrium install package for your OS and the components for creating bootable media.

[​IMG]

I kept getting this error message during the install, I just clicked 'Close Message' and the installation continued.
    On the next dialogue click 'Personal Use' and 'This software in being installed for personal use....' and click next.
    It will ask if you want to register Macrium (optional). Click next. It will finish installation and launch Macrium 8

Please note I have not tested backing up or restoring with version 8 but from the release notes most of the updates are geared for Windows 11 users.

Here:

https://www.xpforums.com/threads/gu...aster-recovery-with-macrium-reflect-7.934029/

ClippyBeer, Jul 22, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
  11. ALX

Elizabeth23

thanks ClippyBeer, I must have looked through a 100 threads trying to find it, :)

xperceniol likes this.
  12. ALX

TMTGTR

Thanks for the input ClippyBeer. I am finally ready to approach imaging in my skill set learning. With so many options, I needed something to point me in the best direction. I'm becoming more reliant on XP Forums people as their knowledge is consistent and trust worthy.
    I don't know your feelings about 3rd party downloads. I have trusted TechSpot, and Softpedia and they all are offering Reflect Free. That said, I grabbed it from Techspot. using MyPal 29 (I also got the PDF manual- Thanks Elizabeth).
    reflect_setup_free_x86.exe is 157 MB and I assume The needed PE 3.1 Files are included. Otherwise http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=5188
    I also printed your excellent Guide.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    TMTGTR, Jul 24, 2022
Ask a Question