XP factory reset

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by MagicJinn, Apr 2, 2019.

1. MagicJinn

MagicJinn

Hello. I just installed a windows xp ultimate computer, and not only did the computer have some garbage on it beforehand, I also edited the settings quite a lot. When I open my browser on ANY website (including microsoft.com) it tells me I can't view that page. I would like to fix the problem, but I can not find any solution... So I tried to do a factory reset, and found out that I basicly can't. The settings are just not there... (for me at least). And I can't just reformat my harddrive, without losing the windows on it (I don't have xp install disc). Anyone have an easy way to do a factory reset, or reformat without losing my windows?

MagicJinn, Apr 2, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  2. MagicJinn

cmccaff1

Are your Internet (ethernet and/or WiFi) drivers installed properly? Usually, when I have trouble connecting to the Internet, it's either a bad driver or something going on with the router.

cmccaff1, Apr 3, 2019
    MagicJinn likes this.
  3. MagicJinn

MagicJinn

How would I check if the driver installed propperly? And also I can't access the internet, not even microsoft... But I can search on bing though, so I know I have internet.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2019
    MagicJinn, Apr 3, 2019
  4. MagicJinn

Elizabeth23

to view microsoft updates, you need to have sp3 and IE8 installed, after that and all your updates past sp3 you will need to install a browser that works on xp, firefox ESR and or mypal , there are posts on some others listed try the one below:

https://www.xpforums.com/threads/mypal-browser.933699/

for a factory reset: the drive can never have been wiped or it wipes out the factory reset portion, if this is not the case, then provide the make , model and model number and I will see if I can find instructions for a reset

Elizabeth23, Apr 4, 2019
    MagicJinn and cmccaff1 like this.
  5. MagicJinn

MagicJinn

I got this pc second-hand, so I basicly don't know anything about this pc. When I start it up, it first says windows xp office, then windows vista, then windows xp ultimate..? Very weird. I also screwed up a lot of settings and corrupted a lot of files... So that's why I want to do a full reset. Later today, I'll just attach a 2min video where I kinda show and explain the problem. If you can't find a solution, I'll just try the thing you said.

MagicJinn, Apr 4, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  6. MagicJinn

Elizabeth23

a second hand pc should be wiped and have xp reinstalled , as your pc stands I would not use it

Elizabeth23, Apr 5, 2019
  7. MagicJinn

MagicJinn

here's a short video I made on the oddities of the pc. maybe you know something I can do to fix it...
    if not, thank you anyway :)
    Also, I made some changes on how the homeplug(powerline) I use was Installed, so maybe that fixes the problem...

MagicJinn, Apr 5, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  8. MagicJinn

Elizabeth23

vga is what is installed with xp as a generic video, when you go to the menu you were translating and were to click on vga then when you loaded xp it would be in a vga resolution which is about 600 by 800 or something like that.

vga is wat is geïnstalleerd met xp als een generieke video, wanneer je naar het menu gaat dat je aan het vertalen was en op vga zou klikken, dan wanneer je xp laadde zou het in een vga-resolutie zijn die ongeveer 600 bij 800 is of iets dergelijks.

========

1-what looks like to me is that your system is messed up!
    2-you should not get the advanced boot menu unless you have pressed F8
    3-Steam does not support xp and will further give your installation problems
    4-Internet explorer should be used only for microsoft updates
    5-install firefox 52.9.0 ESR as your browser and you can install a couple of other browsers also that still work with xp
    6-go to device manager (start/right click on My comuter, choose Manage/then choose device manager)
    7- so it is a packard bell, I need the model and model number, for example I have a dell dimension 3000)

1 - wat op mij lijkt, is dat je systeem is verknoeid!
    2 - je zou niet het geavanceerde opstartmenu moeten krijgen tenzij je op F8 hebt gedrukt
    3-Steam ondersteunt geen xp en zal uw installatieproblemen verder veroorzaken
    4-Internet Explorer moet alleen worden gebruikt voor Microsoft-updates
    5-install firefox 52.9.0 ESR als uw browser en u kunt ook een aantal andere browsers installeren die nog steeds werken met xp
    6 - ga naar apparaatbeheer (start / klik met de rechtermuisknop op Mijn comuter, kies Beheren / kies dan apparaatbeheer)
    7- dus het is een packardbel, ik heb het model- en modelnummer nodig, ik heb bijvoorbeeld een dell-dimensie 3000)

links to firefox,360 total security essentials antivirus,OS downloads

links naar Firefox, 360 Total Security Essentials-antivirus, OS-downloads

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

https://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/features/360-total-security-essential/

http://vhd-vault.weebly.com/oem-os-discs.html
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7uwifuW-47rM25OZXpGN3NJTGc
    http://pastebin.com/raw/94wtjbdt

Elizabeth23, Apr 5, 2019
  9. MagicJinn

Elizabeth23

reply 2: in device manager do you have any yellow exclamation points, this will tell you if some drivers are needed

antwoord 2: in device manager heb je gele uitroeptekens, dit zal je vertellen of sommige stuurprogramma's nodig zijn

Elizabeth23, Apr 5, 2019
Ask a Question