Windows XP was never in danger from WanaCryptOr...

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by Mike_Walsh, May 20, 2017.

1. Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

It transpires that Windows XP was never in any danger from the recent WanarCyptOr ransomware. Apparently, the stolen NSA EternalBlue exploit that was the basis for this disgusting piece of malware didn't run properly on XP.....putting the lie to all the pundits who predicted that XP would be hardest hit.

New research released today by KasperskyLab reveals that it was almost exclusively Windows 7 which bore the brunt of the attacks:-

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...of-all-wannacry-victims-were-using-windows-7/

Whether this means that everybody who installed the out-of-support emergency patch for XP, and who have lost the ability to access mapped network drives, can uninstall it again remains to be seen, however.....

Just thought y'all might be interested to hear the post-exploit analysis of this one.

Mike.;)

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Mike_Walsh, May 20, 2017
    cleverscreenname and priscus like this.
  2. Mike_Walsh

jimkarl

Thanks - So now the question - how does one "uninstall" the patch?

jimkarl, May 20, 2017
  3. Mike_Walsh

priscus

Very interesting, Mike.

I wonder who focused on XP, and with what agenda.

Seven is so widely used. Was it legacy XP devices keeping everything going then when Sevens hit?

priscus, May 20, 2017
  4. Mike_Walsh

Elizabeth23

well, I installed it and so far no problem except no being able to access ms updates, has any one NOT installed it and still able to reach ms updates and not have the search for updates go on for hours??

Elizabeth23, May 21, 2017
    jim davis likes this.
  5. Mike_Walsh

jim davis

Dear Mr. Walsh
    Thank you for yours above, I always wanted to meet a saint who would spill the real deal about XP and how bad it isn't.

for me it was nothing less then a marketing program to condemn this xp machine, I will grant the newer ones do have a few features that should have been in xp, but almost none of them are not available to xp in a open ware non data spamming down load.
    And almost none of the newer machines are simpler to use.

I am also enjoying being way out side the marketing loop for "New Stuff" to put on my xp, as well i note many program makers are refusing to stop making their "New Ware" not usable on XP

Once again i see its simplicity is a godsend and i have my message from a saint honest enough to print it.

your a great person.

Shine ON

J

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    jim davis, May 21, 2017
  6. Mike_Walsh

XPsp2eeePC

I'm wild-guessing: the place where you manage/uninstall apps. Pls let us know IF that works.

But why did NHS.UK get hit so hard on their XP? (or was that FakeNews=not XP?)

My n00b question/post is:
    Given that I'm "stuck" at sp2 (so patch won't install, yea!)
    And have a 192.168.. (rfc1918) IPaddress,
    I ASSuME I'm "fairly" safe, as long as I don't browse an "evil" website nor open an "evil" email attachment.
    Anybody have any reason to disagree?
    (semi-OT: post new thread?)

p.s. The TL;dr ASSuMEd reason I'm "stuck" sp2 is: my XP CoA# sticker is worn away,
    And my old hdd died, so I installed an InfoWars XP, several years ago. IF I upgrade to sp3, it will complain about CoA.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    XPsp2eeePC, May 24, 2017
  7. Mike_Walsh

trimis

trimis, Oct 30, 2017
  8. Mike_Walsh

jim davis

is this post the result of a bad translation program, Brother i wanna support you as a member here, and i am sure you have great things to offer, but this post is a "MAZE" to wade through and try to read.
    Please try harder, cause i am probably missing good stuff from you.

jim davis, Nov 1, 2017
  9. Mike_Walsh

jim davis

This is sad stuff to read,

"""you can try this obscure app"""

did any one ever think some of the devices being offered here to fix the patch that was never needed, :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

might be part of the "HACKS":cool:
    and i do not mean to accuse this poster of anything, but who made this patch remover
    and any body every have a beer and eat hotdogs with them.??

PLEASE FOLKS

DO YOUR DEEPEST RESEARCH BEFORE POSTING HERE.

Elizabeth is a great repair person, but that keeps her huge busy, helping the millions who got thrown off a cliff by Geek soft, :confused:

And you can bet your life every forum has hackers on it, bleep is one of the worst despite them doing their hell fire best to stop it.

You can't even go to a country music concert anymore :eek::eek::eek:

Time to batten down the hatches:):):):):):):)

But with out throwing out the baby with the bath water,
    our right to relax. :)

jim davis, Nov 1, 2017
  10. Mike_Walsh

trimis

Firstly, it is not my place to tell the OP whether or not the patch is needed...I guess that's your job, so have at it! As for the question of 'jimkarl', I answered it. Don't like the answer? Too bad. You seem to think that everything that speweth forth from Microsoft is absolutely essential, and should never be questioned, doubted, or the gods forbid, rejected. Guess you never bothered to comb through the contents of the three SP offerings. I have. When is the last time you needed the KB junk that keeps the time clock accurate in Uganda? And I guess you conveniently forgot that WGA was surreptitiously installed via either update or service packet. I don't recall which, but it don't much matter, as Microsoft has a long track record of such chicanery. Don't believe it? Do the research.

trimis, Nov 2, 2017
  11. Mike_Walsh

jim davis

I think its all our places to know, many folks who have better things to do then fidget with a incompletely made computer, will come in here to this forum and take many folks post as gospel, and fly with their recommendations, to there own detriment.

We should try to provide them some of the fastest shrinking resource and most valuable thing in the world--SAFETY.

As for MS. they and their founder, they have done more to "off track" lives then any force in history, and oddly "on track' lives that might have been lost forever 70 years ago.

Other then to say that, I find your post, as so many researchers have taken note about heavy computer users signature, not very clear or properly composed to read.

But the add on junk point i get, and I have removed many translation files from programs-
    but thats real point is it not, computers are very crude devices, this junk is a endless meaningless science project, for people with nothing to do, the research is in, the quality of life in the world has soared downward as computer use has soared up.

Almost every pathology you see on the news is the result of nurture/nature deficit disorder.
    We have become a world of feeling-less puppets, so empty in side we can't stand even five minutes of nothing to do, cause our internal soft reassuring voice is gone and does not follow us into the silence any more, silence we would love if that internal love was still there, cause silence is the only place she speaks to us.

Heres the real question, how do we get a more friendly computer with out losing all the more important "Maternal loving instincts" that if lost, make computers meaningless
    if the kind "She" in us is lost forever.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    jim davis, Nov 3, 2017
  12. Mike_Walsh

ChirunoIceFairy

I'm not even surprised that XP was made to be the culprit by the major news networks, probably MS would give them some sort of commission for making XP look bad and scare people into upgrading to a new Windows 10 computer! :(

ChirunoIceFairy, Nov 7, 2017
    jim davis likes this.
  13. Mike_Walsh

priscus

Was MS trying to deflect attention from their own culpability?

Windows 7 allegedly was in receipt of security updates: good until year 2019.

This system, however appears to have broken down.

Vulnerable W7 machines were displaying notification that they were up to date, when they were not.

My own (W7)machine was telling me just that, and I was reliant on 3rd party AV to tell me to get the required security patch from MS. I had to Google to identify precisely what patch was needed!

No surprise then, that it was Windows 7 machines so badly compromised

priscus, Nov 8, 2017
    jim davis likes this.
  14. Mike_Walsh

cornemuse

Anyways, , , , ,

"""you can try this obscure app"""

could not etc.jpg

Oh, well, , ,

cornemuse, Nov 8, 2017
    jim davis likes this.
  15. Mike_Walsh

ChirunoIceFairy

Check the Internet Archive. It may be there. :)

ChirunoIceFairy, Nov 11, 2017
    jim davis likes this.
  16. Mike_Walsh

jim davis

FAIRY
    same stuff, just another day.
    be safe out there :)

jim davis, Nov 14, 2017
  17. Mike_Walsh

jim davis

HI Elizabeth :D

your post concerns me, not being able to access ms updates :eek:
    are you saying what few xp updates that might ever be available are now not available cause i have installed :eek: this useless patch

Lastly did anyone ever find a secured safe way to remove it, I mean clean, not teenage clean, not bug ware clean

but clean :):):)

jim davis, Nov 14, 2017
  18. Mike_Walsh

Elizabeth23

Hello, jim davis, that was an old post and I have since corrected the issue of MS updates website, :)

Elizabeth23, Nov 14, 2017
  19. Mike_Walsh

Compaq_8200_Elite

Compaq_8200_Elite, Dec 13, 2017
  20. Mike_Walsh

WindowsXPforever

When i tested wannacry on my vm it crashed the os

WindowsXPforever, Mar 5, 2018
Ask a Question