WINDOWS XP SKYPE ALTERNATIVE

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by NUNCHUKNEO2, Aug 22, 2022.

1. NUNCHUKNEO2

NUNCHUKNEO2

hey guys me and a friend are looking for a skype alternative or basically a clone 2 use on windows xp. We both use net meeting but want something a bit more modern and that kan do kalls like skype does. I was looking at Microsoft office communicator 2005 and Microsoft lync but I am not sure if that will run on xp any suggestions?

NUNCHUKNEO2, Aug 22, 2022
  2. NUNCHUKNEO2

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Aug 22, 2022
  3. NUNCHUKNEO2

Mike_Walsh

Old thread, I know. However....

Once you're online - in a reasonably competent browser - the choice of video-calling apps is quite good. You've got:-

Google's "Meet" (the successor to Hangouts)
    Google's "Duo" (this one is designed for one-to-one calls)
    The Skype webapp
    The JitsiMeet webapp
    The WIRE webapp

.....etc., etc. That's just a small sample; there's a ton more out there, but these are ones I can recommend myself.

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Oct 12, 2022
    ClippyBeer and TMTGTR like this.
  4. NUNCHUKNEO2

ClippyBeer

The OP hasn't logged in since Aug 22 so doubt your reply will be read by them. There have been a lot of recent ghost users (new users create account, make 1 post then never reappear). These users never contribute anything so no big loss.

NetMeeting? That still works or are you just having flashbacks?

It should be noted that all of those options require setting up an account, i.e., handing over your personal information, cell phone number, etc. except for Jitsi Meet.

Jitsi Meet and Skype have options similar to Zoom where you can start meetings and invite participants, no account required but I don't think they can be used to place calls. I've used both Jitsi Meet and Skype conference, both work in modern browsers as well as 360 Chrome 11 by Hummingowl in XP.

https://www.skype.com/en/free-conference-call/

ClippyBeer, Oct 12, 2022
    TMTGTR and Elizabeth23 like this.
  5. NUNCHUKNEO2

Mike_Walsh

Fair comment. I don't come here as often as I used to, but I'm well-used to this kind of thing from many other fora I subscribe to.....and on two where I moderate, such members are often setting things up for posting a flood of spam if the environment seems favourable!

As you say.....no big loss.

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Oct 30, 2022
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  6. NUNCHUKNEO2

ImWolf

I'm trying to get the Skype WebApp working with XP SP3. Tried with both MyPal 68 and 360Chrome 13.5. Crashes with MyPal sometimes, but not with Chrome. Can't complete successful test call however (or see camera view) since my old Logitech QuickCam isn't being detected? (it works fine with Skype running under Linux).

The Skype app warns me to check camera settings in the browser, but I think the settings are good. What do I look for next?

Skype.jpg

Chrome.jpg

ImWolf, Apr 12, 2024
  7. NUNCHUKNEO2

ImWolf

So, last night the SkypeApp (loaded in Chrome) started working fine. What I did was change settings in both the app, and the browser back and forth, and along the way open and close the Logitech software too. In the end, all the settings were exactly the same as when I started. I hate it when that happens!

ImWolf, Apr 12, 2024
Ask a Question