Windows XP Cannot Login To Any Accounts! (0xC00000BB)

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Ware Network 32 64!, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Ware Network 32 64!

Ware Network 32 64!

Hello, everybody! I am having trouble with my old Windows XP desktop computer Which was a Dell Dimension XPS computer running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3! It used to work fine, but, after about six weeks, I started up my old computer and when I clicked on my account to log in, it told me to enter my password, which I never had any, and, no matter what I typed in the password field, it showed a black screen with an error window displaying this message!
    Logon Message

The system could not log you on. The server authenticating you reported an error (0xC00000BB). You can find further details in the event log. Please report this error to the system administrator.

So, I pressed the "OK" button and it took me back to the login screen where there was a bubble coming out of the password field asking me if I forgot my password! I tried with other accounts, including the Administrator account in Safe Mode! Didn't work! Then, I tried logging in with the login screen that appears when I press "Ctrl+Alt+Del" twice! Didn't work! So, I decided to find further details in the system event log in my BIOS which is the Dell Dimension XPS BIOS Version A02! When I displayed the event log, all I saw was a bunch of the same errors reading "POST Error" under "Event Type" and "Keyboard Error" under "Event Data" and the first time I got that error is when I first turned on this computer in my house six weeks before my computer stopped logging me in, and, after those six weeks, I have gotten that same error a lot. I tried to do a repair install with a Windows XP CD, but, I didn't have one, so, I created a bootable USB with a Windows XP ISO using a program called Rufus and booted my old computer off of the USB, but, when it got past "Setup is starting Windows" it got a blue screen with the error "0x0000007B" and I thought that it was over, but, luckily, I downloaded an "NTDETECT.COM" file off of the internet that was compatible with USB devices and it worked, but, when it got past "Setup is starting Windows" another error pops up!

Setup cannot load the keyboard layout file KBDUS.DLL

Setup cannot continue. Shut down or restart your computer.

At the bottom of the error, there is some text that says, "Shut Down Computer" so I shut it down and completely gave up! Now, at this point I just called it quits and did the same thing every day with the same results! I don't know what to do! What should I do? Can you please tell me what to do to get my old computer working, again?

Ware Network 32 64!, Jun 3, 2017
  2. Ware Network 32 64!

Elizabeth23

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/203367-unable-to-login-0xc00000bb

the guy above tried several things and got his to work so read thread thoroughly and then attempt his fixes.

some computers cannot boot xp from the usb, but only from a cd drive.

is the iso you created from a dell install cd or a retail cd?? and not a recovery disc but a full reinstall disc?

you will need to run checkdisk with the /r parameter and since you cannot boot into xp, you will need to do it with a boot disc such as hirens or puppy linux.

https://www.google.com/#q=0xC00000BB+windows+xp

also lots of hits on this error at the above site. :)

Elizabeth23, Jun 3, 2017
  3. Ware Network 32 64!

Ware Network 32 64!

The guy you mentioned fixed his problem by clearing some lines from his "WIN.INI" file, but, I don't know where the "WIN.INI" file is and if I did know I couldn't access it because I can't login to my old computer! My computer can boot from the USB! The ISO I created was not from a dell install CD but the normal retail Windows XP SP3 CD full reinstall disc! I can't run checkdisk with the /r parameter because I can't login to my old computer, and, what will Hirens and Puppy Linux do with checkdisk to fix my computer? I don't know what checkdisk would do and I'm not sure that Puppy Linux has a checkdisk command! I also clicked on the Google link and I saw a whole bunch of links that I clicked on! I tried everything they said in those links and none of them worked! They said that it was a smart card problem and the old computer doesn't have a smart card! The rest were just telling me to download programs, but, I couldn't download them because I can't login to my old computer!

Ware Network 32 64!, Jun 4, 2017
  4. Ware Network 32 64!

Elizabeth23

if you have a reinstall retail cd you can run checkdisk from there, this is the first step to fixing you computer.

you do not need an admin password to run chkdsk, when the recovery console asks for a password just press enter.

you will press 1 to choose windows xp first
    then press enter to bypass the admin password
    then type in chkdsk c: /r and press enter, notice spaces between k/c and :/r

it will be lengthy depending on the fragmentation of the drive and the size of the drive, do not worry about fluctuating percentages this is normal, you will have to run at least twice until no more errors are found.

Elizabeth23, Jun 4, 2017
  5. Ware Network 32 64!

priscus

It is very kind of you,Elizabeth, to tell people explicitly about the spacing.

Oh the enormous frustration I find when following something in print, and cannot see if there is or is not space between characters. Even worse, whether the author has got it correct: all progress stops whilst you revert to trial and error.

You're a Star!

priscus, Jun 4, 2017
  6. Ware Network 32 64!

Ware Network 32 64!

Thank you for teaching me how to use checkdisk, but, unfortunately, I can't access the recovery console because right after the setup passes "Setup is starting Windows" it tells me that it could not load the keyboard layout "KBDUS.DLL" as I first wrote in my thread! I could try a reinstall retail CD, but, I don't know which one I need to get! My error might not even be related to any corruptions in the disk but to just the accounts on my computer! I may use checkdisk, anyway, to see if it works or not!

Ware Network 32 64!, Jun 4, 2017
  7. Ware Network 32 64!

Mike_Walsh

TBH, unless you have a pressing need to run XP, why not try installing a different OS? Say, like, for instance, one of the many Linux distros out there.....which are all totally free to download and use?

XP will, unfortunately, be developing more and more problems like this as time passes.....and I, for one, have found that once XP takes a dislike to a particular set of hardware, it will never, ever, co-operate with it properly after that.

I know many of you on here are wary even of Linux, especially if you have used Windows all your lives. But what have you got to lose? Linux rejuvenates older hardware, and makes it useful once again.

So shoot me. :eek:

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Jun 4, 2017
  8. Ware Network 32 64!

Elizabeth23

Ware Network32 64!, go into the bios and see if the keyboard has any settings that have been turned off which would not allow you to use it.

btw, is this a desktop or a laptop and is your keyboard a ps2 or a usb connection?

if a laptop, can you plug in a keyboard?

Elizabeth23, Jun 4, 2017
  9. Ware Network 32 64!

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jun 4, 2017
  10. Ware Network 32 64!

Ware Network 32 64!

I can go into the BIOS (I have a Dell Dimension XPS BIOS Version A02) but I don't know how to see if the keyboard has any settings that have been turned off! By the way, I can still use my keyboard despite all of the errors! My old computer is a desktop computer and my keyboard has a PS/2 connection! I have already mentioned that when I posted this thread!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Ware Network 32 64!, Jun 5, 2017
  11. Ware Network 32 64!

Ware Network 32 64!

Thank you for the tip, but, I'm keeping Windows XP mainly for old school gaming, software, and, using old and outdated hardware with it! I would also like to keep Windows XP mainly for nostalgic purposes! Although Linux is better than Windows XP, I'm not installing Linux on it, but, a Linux computer would be nice to have to mess around with games and software exclusive to Linux and testing hardware that is compatible with Linux! Yes, I know that there is a program called Wine that is on Linux that loads Windows programs, but, some programs don't work and it is not compatible with MS-DOS programs or any other 16-bit programs! If I wanted a computer with Linux on it, I would just buy an old computer (desktop or laptop) with either a blank hard drive or no hard drive at all and install Linux on it! If the old computer didn't have a hard drive, I would just buy a hard drive or maybe a solid state drive! So, for your information, I'm keeping Windows XP and I'm not installing Linux!

12. Ware Network 32 64!

priscus

13. Ware Network 32 64!

Ware Network 32 64!

It says that I have to disconnect one of my drives! I have a DVD-ROM, a Re-Writable CD-ROM, and, two hard disks set up in a Striped RAID Array! I can't disconnect any of my hard drives but I'll try disconnecting either the DVD-ROM or the CD-ROM! I hope that this will work!

(UPDATE)

I just wrote the update! Please read it!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  14. Ware Network 32 64!

Ware Network 32 64!

Okay! Here is what I did! I tried unplugging the CD-ROM, but, the computer couldn't get past the startup screen, so, I unplugged the DVD-ROM and I could get past the startup screen, but, I still got the same "KBDUS.DLL" error! So, I rebooted the computer and repeatedly pressed the F12 key until the Boot Menu appeared! I chose the option to boot off of the USB flash drive, and, I still got that error, again! So, I unplugged both the DVD-ROM and the CD-ROM, and, booted the computer in normal mode and off of the USB flash drive in the Boot Menu! I still got that same error! So, I tried unlugging the CD-ROM once again in desperation and it actually made it past the startup screen! It turns out that it just takes a long time! To my surprise, I didn't get the "KBDUS.DLL" error, but, it told me that it couldn't find a previous version of Windows installed on my computer and it told me to insert a Windows product CD! I tried pressing enter but it said that it couldn't read any CD's or that the CD wasn't a valid Windows CD! I tried turning on OS Install Mode in the BIOS but it still didn't work! By the way, before it tells me to press any key to boot from the USB flash drive, I get a message telling me to strike F1 to continue or to strike F2 to access the setup utility! I went to search the error on Google to find any solutions and it tells me to either put a CD with a previous version of Windows in the computer or disable AHCI in the BIOS, but, I don't have a Windows CD like that and I don't know how to disable AHCI in the BIOS! By the way, my BIOS is the Dell Dimension XPS BIOS Version A02! What should I do? By the way, feel free to give me more suggestions on how to fix this problem!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Ware Network 32 64!, Jun 6, 2017
  15. Ware Network 32 64!

priscus

Good luck, but not likely to if problem caused by either of the cases described.

You could examine you partition letters used, and partition table, by running a different OS from a live CD, which makes no attempt to load or run XP. (I prefer Knoppix, but there are others)

If you need to make changes to the partitions without losing the data on them, you will, in any case, need to use a third party partition editor, and even then it is wise to back up all content of the disks prior to running such. I do not know how satisfactorily these applications manage RAID arrays!

With everything on backup copy, you can physically disconnect BOTH drives used for your RAID array, but make sure you have the RAID driver needed for re-installing, and that you know how to reinstall the RAID set up.

priscus, Jun 6, 2017
  16. Ware Network 32 64!

priscus

sorry we overlapped.

priscus, Jun 6, 2017
  17. Ware Network 32 64!

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jun 6, 2017
  18. Ware Network 32 64!

Ware Network 32 64!

Thank you for the tip! I will try installing Knoppix on my USB flash drive and fix the partitions!

19. Ware Network 32 64!

Ware Network 32 64!

Thank you for the tip! I will try installing from the CD drive next time!

20. Ware Network 32 64!

Elizabeth23

keep us updated, okay :)

Elizabeth23, Jun 6, 2017
Ask a Question