Why do you still use XP?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by xperia, Jan 5, 2014.

1. xperia

xperia

Just an informal survey: Why do you still use Windows XP? Is it because your workplace requires XP? Or does XP benefit you in ways that newer versions don't?

xperia, Jan 5, 2014
  2. xperia

xperia

As for me, I'm on this forum, because a computer that I'm fixing has XP. My own computer has Windows 7.

xperia, Jan 5, 2014
  3. xperia

PJAmerica

I am stuck. My PC cannot handle Windows 7 and I cannot afford a New PC/Hardware either. I am stuck. So I am a economical victim of sorts of the discontinued support for Windows XP. XP has had a great run and I love Windows 7 and would use it if I could afford a path to do so but this is an issue for many people like me.

PJAmerica, Jan 12, 2014
  4. xperia

Led Zeppelin

for myself XP is a very good o/s and i wont replace it just yet if at all, as the months pass by after the end of support for XP i may have a duel boot system with linux mint, only if i have any nasty problems with XP will i do a complete wipe of the hard-drive and use linux mint as my one and only o/s.

Led Zeppelin, Mar 18, 2014
  5. xperia

rich4421972

I am using XP because I have very old hardware that seems to get slow while running Windows 8.0 and Windows 7. I really like the features of Windows 8 but I think my hardware cannot handle it

rich4421972, Mar 25, 2014
  6. xperia

Antonnz

My main reason is, I do not know how to change my OS. Nor do I really have money to spend on something I already have. I like XP, its simple and easy. I will continue to use it after windows cancels all support.

Antonnz, Mar 27, 2014
  7. xperia

Bryan_James

I still use XP because my hardware is compatible with Windows CP. Aside from it, it was once the commonly used operating system, so I have mastered my skills in XP more than the other Windows OS.

Bryan_James, Apr 2, 2014
  8. xperia

spidersilva

I still use XP because it's letting me browse the web, watch movies, YouTube, read my e-mails, put pics and videos on it, and I don't have money for a different OS and even if I did, why would a spend money to do exactly the same thing that I'm doing now on my XP?

spidersilva, Apr 9, 2014
  9. xperia

windowsfan

I still use XP because my computer is not compatible with Seven.

windowsfan, Apr 18, 2014
  10. xperia

Clueless in Seattle

Like most of the folks who have already responded, I too am unable to afford a newer computer that can run Windows 8.1. I'm a low-income, disabled senior, and all of my hardware and software is hand-me-down.

I just joined this forum hoping to find some folks who can help me squeeze a few more years out of Windows XP. I still have an unopened licensed copy of XP that I got from FreeCycle Seattle a couple of years ago and have been meaning to install on one of my barely functional computers one of these days (I'm still running Win 2K on my "main" computer, (and still run MS-DOS 6.21 on three of my machines) which should give you some idea of how far behind the curve I've fallen ;o)

Clueless in Seattle, Apr 25, 2014
    Samir likes this.
  11. xperia

NeetaNPaul

i still use XP as i simply cant afford to upgrade to windows 7/8 and i hate the layout etc of vista,i do dont anything like online etc on my pc and i dont use internet explorer anyway :)

NeetaNPaul, May 3, 2014
  12. xperia

metastasis69

I'm using XP due to economic restrictions. But I have a nettop that runs windows 7, I don't see any big difference at all and I do switch to my favorite linux distro PUPPY linux which gives my pc a new life...Fast as the new i7 machines without spending that much in upgrading my system.

metastasis69, May 8, 2014
  13. xperia

Anixx

Because newer Windows versions have the Windows Explorer totally broken. I do not know who was that "genius" who decided to scrap all of its features and frexibility and introduce so much bugs.

If the newer Windows had a usable Windows Explorer (both file manager and the panel) or I could run an older exlorer under a newer Windows version, I would definitely switch.

Anixx, May 10, 2014
    cleverscreenname and Samir like this.
  14. xperia

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    I still prefer XP.

Hello all from Aunty Jack,

If I want the performance of a Ferrari I use the PC my wife uses. A "monster" AMD multi-core 64 bit with RAM coming out it's ears and top line video, the lot. (OS is Win 7 Home Premium). I have more fun, being a techie at heart, using a ten year old PC and XP. XP is "tweakable" to the max and I always keep a spare hard disk in a desk drawer with the same basic setup of XP in case I make something go, "bang". As for XP, it still does the job perfectly so why change a hobby of mine. Besides, services a so easy to set auto/delayed auto/manual/disabled with XP. Try that with Win 7 !. And, to Clueless in Seattle, I too have used Win 98, Win 2000, Vista from Vista Starter to Home Premium and many fflavours of Linux. But I always go back to XP. XP is one of the most stable, still supported (software anyway) and plain versatile OS's around. And Clueless in Seattle, If I bought a $25.00 P-3 or older I would love to get back into DOS and writing my own "apps" with BASIC.

Cheers to all,

Aunty Jack.

Aunty Jack, Aug 31, 2014
  15. xperia

billcu

I still use XP because it came with my computer and I know it's compatible also I would pay someone $15-20 for a good OS not $200. Not even for windows. My computer is 10 years old I know windows 8.x will not run on it in a fully compatible way.

billcu, Sep 13, 2014
  16. xperia

BicycleRow

Same.

BicycleRow, Sep 26, 2014
  17. xperia

Aunty Jack

Hello from Aunty Jack,

XP - simply the flexibility and a tried and trusted OS. Suits old low specification hardware and is, ""greased lightening" on any hardware from about 2000 onward. Tweakable to the 'nth degree and still thousands of programs/apps available. Vista, pretty to look at but heavy on resources. Linux, when the swap file and cache pressure settings are modified, the fastest OS around. Linux not well supported with software. XP is like an old comfortable pair of jeans and will do almost anything one wants or will run almost any program/app thrown at it.
    My opinion anyway, others may differ.

Cheers from Aunty Jack.

Aunty Jack, Sep 27, 2014
    cleverscreenname and Samir like this.
  18. xperia

Xboxplayer

Currently I can't afford a newer OS. Also, my current Windows PC is excellent for most games released in 2012 or earlier. Most newer games I can just get on my Xbox One.

Xboxplayer, Dec 29, 2014
  19. xperia

Aunty Jack

Hello all,

My hardware will support Vista Home Basic (tweaked and trimmed) so that is what I am using now. I do keep a spare hard disk fully set up with XP and use it from time to time partly for nostalgia and to have a tried and true OS as a backup. There is life in XP still and hopefully for a few years more.

Cheers, Aunty Jack.

Aunty Jack, Dec 30, 2014
    RetroGuy and Samir like this.
  20. xperia

eatup

For me, Microsoft only has one advantage over competing ecosystems: Easy to create your own offline app with Visual Studio that works the same regardless of which Windows PC you're on.

My app is graphics intensive, meaning its purpose is to output graphics on the screen. As such, I still use XP b/c it draws stuff the fastest on the screen. I recompiled my source code for the newer OSes (Win 8.1/.NET 4.5). Still can't beat XP in drawing speed.

Sure, Microsoft is taking .NET to the next level with .NET Native. But the slowness of drawing stuff on the screen lies within the operating system, not on the .NET framework. As such, I don't think .NET Native will remedy the problem of drawing speed.

In order to get me to abandon XP, the drawing speed of my .NET apps has to mach XP in the modern OS. Just to give you a comparison, my app draws stuff in XP 16x faster than it does in Windows 8.1. You can imagine how annoyed I am by these supposed modern OSes that are 16 steps backwards from XP...

Btw, for anyone that don't believe me, try creating a "3d-engine" type app, even basic wireframes will do. But the models have to animate so you can tell the drawing speed. Doesn't really have to be real animation, but could be 100 cubes rotating. Run that same app in XP and 8.1 and you will be amazed by its sluggishness in 8.1...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    eatup, Jan 11, 2015
    Samir likes this.
Ask a Question