WHO OWNS THIS FORUM, HOW DOES IT PAY FOR ITS SELF

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by jim davis, Feb 26, 2019.

1. jim davis

jim davis

HOLY GOD
    WHAT A INSANE ASYLUM.
    what kind of adult owns a forum, claims emotional superiority, and calls himself

"The Gringler" with a gargoyle avatar.
    never trust numbers addicts to help you across the street.

jim davis, May 18, 2019
    cleverscreenname and trimis like this.
  2. jim davis

Chiron

Jim, what did you smoke lately? I'd like to give it a try myself and feel as happy... :D

It takes a good question to get a good answer...

Unfortunately no: last time I touched real bow and arrows you were probably still wetting your diapers :)

I don't give a damn what they do with my carcass once I croak - as long as they don't use it for spare parts to fix some politician ;)

Then your shrink must be really selfless... :D:D:D

Be my guest, that's not the finger I use most often :):D;)

Chiron, May 18, 2019
    cleverscreenname and Elizabeth23 like this.
  3. jim davis

jim davis

Chiron, you are not wrong to call me out, I would never denie that of someone
    I truly meant you zero harm, you clearly are a holy being,
    but my advice is life saving, I want friends, love and a gang to be and hang with too,
    but that wholesome emotion is exploited more and more these days, and i don't like the life long wake of, pain, rage and recovery bad decisions make in the news everyday.
    try a sense of humor, that is the key that unlocks my post and its meaning,
    I am not a geek, life anit numbers. life is laughter and love and safety, and sometimes things that must be said
    can only be said in humor, cause their real specifics are deadly.
    But I have sympathy for your response, I am egocentric as well and take things to seriously too.
    try reading again and laugh, cause its very funny, except for the nice unquestioning lady who just had her fetus cut from her stomach who made friends too easily.

And if you can not connect the dots on this, please don't blame it on me, and god forbid please please you learn my point too late from some guy, whose mother was forced to have her fathers baby, which is were most of this insanity comes from.
    Just ask the FBI.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    jim davis, May 18, 2019
  4. jim davis

jim davis

Dear Ian, Elizabeth, I want this to be a life saving post, but never at your expense,
    so please see its worth and toss the rest.
    I would never hesitate to tell someone to come here.

jim davis, May 18, 2019
  5. jim davis

Chiron

Don't take me wrong Jim: I wasn't gnawing at your toes, just laughing with you ;)
    We all love and hate life at once, that's both the best and the worst of it :D. But perhaps your dots are too far apart from each other for me to connect them properly... be patient with an old piece of junk, rust will have me pretty soon.
    And what, me a holy being???:confused: Just let me trim my horns and comb my tail before I answer that!:D :D :D

Chiron, May 19, 2019
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  6. jim davis

jim davis

BOY OH BOY ARCHER -YOU HIT THE BULLS EYE WITH THAT

Maybe the most beautiful observation i have ever seen on a forum,
    I mean that with all my heart.

But more and more folks are crashing from the hate and becoming unfit for
    social consumption.

last xp SP 4 free offer up I saw, was a hot wire
    virus spy device, turned out guy who made it was guy bringing it to forum.
    Often (LIZ take note) the folks who offer these things are just villains.

Many of us had a good life, we offer a even Steven deal to others, we are fair traders, ..............................we are often a minority now.

To survive we must accept that.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    jim davis, May 21, 2019
    Chiron likes this.
  7. jim davis

jim davis

DITTO :D:D:D

jim davis, May 21, 2019
  8. jim davis

Chiron

THANKS JIM! That was straight out of my tattered soul, no post-processing...:)

Yeah, life is a bitch. But that's no good reason not to strive to be decent chaps. Piddling in the lake perhaps, but it still raises the level by a minute fraction of an inch ;)

Chiron, May 21, 2019
    cleverscreenname and jim davis like this.
  9. jim davis

trimis

I've run across Win98 & Win 200o subforums on various other forums. Don't recall exactly where but I'm sure I could track them down if needed. You must be prepared for taunts from the Win7/8/10 fanboys who love to go slumming, with mods casting a blind eye and deaf ear.

trimis, Jun 11, 2019
    cleverscreenname, Samir and jim davis like this.
  10. jim davis

trimis

There is no dearth of such 'adult' owners....raymond.cc, facebook, twitter, reddit, etc., all controlled by egomaniacs eager to censor/ban any dissidents that refuse to bow to their 'sacred cow'.

trimis, Jun 11, 2019
    cleverscreenname and jim davis like this.
  11. jim davis

Mike_Walsh

TBH, Lawrence Abrams ('Grinler' of BleepingComputer fame), is a pretty laid-back guy. And as it happens, he's made it his mission for nearly 20 years to help out each and every Windows user out there, whatever the OS in question, with malware/crapware/spyware/shitware removal, etc.

You'll actually find that the majority of Forum 'operators' (or webmasters as they're collectively known these days) don't tend to post very much on their own forums.....and the rare "humanitarian" motives of such people are not in fact so rare as you might believe. Many of these folks provide such fora as a hobby, often due to an interest in the subject matter, past or present, and because they feel the same as Ian; that it's important to have such gathering places for like-minded individuals.

John de Murga, who provides not only the PHP-based forum itself, but also the domain and servers that host the Puppy Linux Forums (where I spend a lot of my 'net time), founded that forum back in 2004. Over the last 15 years, he's posted perhaps 30-35 times, in total.....usually in the form of posts directly relating to the operation of the forum and its server.

The server itself is 'inspected' (albeit remotely) maybe 3-4 times a year. John is a technician-cum-repairman himself, with a passion for keeping old equipment/hardware still serviceable. It's perhaps fitting that he hosts the 'Puppy' Forum, since that's exactly what Puppy itself sets out to do.....and he and Barry Kauler, the original 'author' of Puppy Linux, are very old friends from a looong way back.

A classic case of 'You scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours'. Not everybody's selfish & self-centered, you know.

-----------------------------------------------

(Many of our forum members are gifted 'coders', and others, including myself, are passionate about providing as wide a choice of software/programs/apps as possible for Puppy. Often such things are written from scratch - not from any perceived financial gain, we just enjoy doing so as a 'hobby' - and once they're working correctly, we'll package them up and share them with the tens of thousands of other 'Puppy' users world-wide.)

I do agree with trimis, however. There are a LOT of websites run in exactly the fashion, and for very much the same reasons, as were mentioned in the preceding post. You have to take everything online with a fairly generous pinch of salt, for the simple reason that the 'net is a good place to create numerous, alternate identities. You never quite know what you may be getting into, despite the fact that the vast majority of people are fundamentally decent human beings when it comes down to it.....

'Buyer' beware..!

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Mike_Walsh, Jun 11, 2019
  12. jim davis

jim davis

Mike Thanks for yours, but I think your delusional, but a great apologist.
    the world needs a computer system that does not make people sick from using it.
    not another coder. gringler is a necrophile, whose disdain for thriving femininity is all over his money making trail, he's no philanthropist, and like so many in this busted society hes good at numbers and but near worthless at heart and i don't ever remember from psych class being "Laid Back" in times like these as a good sign. Since i am not willing to discuss this again, we will have to agree to completely disagree.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    jim davis, Jun 12, 2019
  13. jim davis

jim davis

:):):):):):)

jim davis, Jun 12, 2019
  14. jim davis

jim davis

Archer, this still has me rolling in laughter and tears in a huge meadow of flowers

jim davis, Jun 12, 2019
  15. jim davis

jim davis

You should look up Edwin Leibfreed,
    thats me giving a sunlit meadow back to ya.

jim davis, Jun 12, 2019
  16. jim davis

William Tucker

much better than SevenForums and above! I keep getting banned on those sites for no reason, and they are just so much more sensitive on those forums. This forum is much better because I have a 2nd laptop that I use that has Windows XP, and this forum is much more helpful, so if I have any questions I can just ask here. Thanks for this site, Ian! :D

William Tucker, Mar 25, 2022
    cleverscreenname likes this.
  17. jim davis

Samir

Took me years to find this place, and I'm still running xp on a lot of machines that do just odds and ends as it works great. Especially when locked down with the Microsoft Steadystate addon.

Samir, May 18, 2022
    cleverscreenname likes this.
  18. jim davis

cornemuse

HA! I missed this thread! I appreciate everybody here!

I have '7'& '10' computers even an 'XP Home'. Have not even turned them on in years.

I have managed to do everything I want with XP 32 & 64, thanks to help from this forum.

Thanks to everybody here!

-c-

cornemuse, May 18, 2022
    cleverscreenname and Samir like this.
  19. jim davis

Samir

Pretty cool that your windows 7 and 10 machines have sat turned off for years. Once you turn that 10 one on again it will update itself for years and then probably fail saying you need to update to 11, lol. XP4LIFE! I think I should put that on my license plate. :D

Samir, May 18, 2022
  20. jim davis

cleverscreenname

https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/
    Man I love that site. You'd be amazed what they've accomplished with Win98, such as: Firefox 31.8 ESR, x264 MP4 videos, uTorrent, SATA ACHI support, 4GB RAM support, C++ 2008, MS .NET 2.0, XBox360 controllers, and NTFS+UDF support.

The site caters to all Windows versions, seemingly with a focus on updating modern usability beyond what Microsoft ever did. Example, the great Rudolph Loew is a hero over there! Rightly so, and so is his son, for giving away all that work after his death.

This thread was a great read, because I too wondered about the history of this forum.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
    cleverscreenname, Dec 2, 2023
Ask a Question