Who has installed XP on a newer computer?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by cornemuse, May 8, 2016.

1. cornemuse

Katie Boundary

XP will technically run on Haswell and Broadwell chipsets, but drivers don't exist. Ivy Bridge is the last Intel chipset for which XP drivers exist.

Katie Boundary, Jun 4, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  2. cornemuse

cmccaff1

That is indeed true--Ivy Bridge was the last generation to receive proper (i.e., fully tested) XP drivers. There do exist drivers for Haswell, but it depends on what PC model you have. I run XP SP3 with full driver support (well, almost full; the USB 3.0 ports don't work, but they're not necessary to me anyway) on an HP ProDesk 600 G1 with a Core i5-4690 at 3.5GHz, 8GB of RAM (XP only sees 3.4GB, enough for my needs), a 500GB HDD (which I've barely dented), and a CD/DVD reader (not a burner, but as I have other computers that can burn discs and I rarely do burns it's not a big deal either way). Chipset/graphics/drivers are archived at this link: https://www.win-raid.com/t886f23-Windows-XP-lives-on.html

For sound drivers, provided you have a Realtek card: https://filehippo.com/download_realtek_high_definition_audio_xp/

cmccaff1, Jun 4, 2019
    cleverscreenname likes this.
  3. cornemuse

trimis

My custom build will use AMD stuff (Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3, AMD Phenom x4 9750 (95w), Biostar Geforce 6800 GS 512MB GDDR3, etc.), so I'm concerned about what you said "This was before I knew how badly the AMD bulldozer architecture sucked". What problems have you had with it? Any mitigations? Probably too late for me to change direction now, but I'd like some idea of how bad it may be.

trimis, Jun 11, 2019
  4. cornemuse

Katie Boundary

For starters, AMD lies about the number of cores in their bulldozer/piledriver/whatever chips. They claim that each Bulldozer module is "equivalent to" a dual-core CPU, but in reality, each module only has one instruction decoder, one fetcher, one floating-point unit, one of EVERYTHING except integer units, of which it has two. Do you know what other architecture had one floating-point unit and two integer units? The Intel Atom. So not only was each supposedly "dual-core" bulldozer chip only a single-core chip in reality, but it was a really tiny, shitty, Atom-level single-core chip (for comparison, AMD's "athlon" chips each had 3 decoders, 3 integer units, and 3 floating-point units, and yet this was still considered only a single-core design). The "quad-core" bulldozer chips were architecturally equivalent to dual-core Atoms like the Atom 330.

AMD got hit with a false advertising lawsuit because of this disaster.

On top of that, there were issues with the dispatcher being terrible at delivering the correct instructions and data to the correct execution units in a timely manner, and a lot of L1 data cache space got wasted on redundant data because each integer unit had its own separate data cache instead of sharing a single large one, and blah blah blah...

Katie Boundary, Jun 14, 2019
    trimis likes this.
  5. cornemuse

Mike_Walsh

Once an Intel fanboi, always an Intel fanboi.....

Admittedly, Piledriver & Bulldozer sucked - big time! - but AMD have come on a long, long way since those days.....to the point where even many enterprise players are seriously considering returning to the AMD fold since the introduction of Ryzen/Epyc, and saving themselves a heap of cash into the bargain.

I'm not an AMD 'fanboi, or an Intel 'fanboi - to me a processor is a processor, regardless of manufacturer. If it does what I want it to, that'll do me. Admittedly, my Athlon64 X2 dual-core is now 16 yrs old, yet running 'Puppy' Linux as it does, it'll give many i5s, and quite a few i7s, a good run for their money.

Mike. :p

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Mike_Walsh, Jun 16, 2019
    cleverscreenname and priscus like this.
  6. cornemuse

Katie Boundary

The Zen architecture is definitely a HUGE improvement over Bulldozer; the problem is, none of the chipsets for it have XP drivers.

This isn't a question of bulldozer vs. Zen. This is a question of Socket AM3 vs LGA 1155.

Katie Boundary, Jun 18, 2019
  7. cornemuse

stvpls

ive never acually tried, i always install the correct os the computer came with (and activate it using the sticker under it)

stvpls, Sep 24, 2020
  8. cornemuse

BlueBeastie

I had XP to a Dell OptiPlex 9020 that I found in the dumpster. The only driver that was hard to get was for the network card. Fortunately, someone had backported the Windows 7 driver to XP. But the absolute newest was a Toshiba laptop that came with Windows 8.1. I could get it running, but it was dang near impossible to find any drivers for it, so I couldn't get XP to recognize half the devices on it! It was neat to see it running on bare metal on something that recent though.

BlueBeastie, Apr 12, 2022
  9. cornemuse

Compaq_8200_Elite

Compaq_8200_Elite, Apr 13, 2022
  10. cornemuse

tekkaman

My "newer" computer is this:
    Motherboard: GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 2.x)
    CPu: AMD FX 8320e @ 3.5Ghz
    Ram: 8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
    HDD: 1TB WD 10,000 rpm
    The system is super quick. The only thing that´s becoming a problem is browsing the web. For Youtube I use IceApe XP. For better compatibility on other sites I use Newmoon or Serpent. The reason I don't use Newmoon or Serpent all the time is because for some reason Youtube is slow and heavy there. Other than that XP-64 is my main OS. I even have Macgo Bluray player on it and it works great.

tekkaman, May 4, 2022
  11. cornemuse

cleverscreenname

That's exactly a sentence I would write :D

I am :D I'll use an Intel, but I'll only buy AMD haha. I started out when AMD was running circles around Intel, yet cost less. The "support-the-underdog" mentality followed me through the rest of my life. "Buy local" and "small business" also resonate heavily with me.

Others have posted their specs so I guess it's time I should too! Y'all are quite friendly here.
    New York, out in the country
    Processor: AMD Athlon 5150 Quad-core 25W Kabini 28nm Jaguar APU / Radeon HD 8400
    Memory: 16 GB DDR3 1600mhz in Dual-Channel mode
    Motherboard: Gigabyte AM1M-S2H (this build focus was power efficiency to be left on always. Uses just 25 watts at 100%, confirmed with Kill-A-Watt meter.)
    with D-Sub and HDMI outputs, Realtek ALC887 8-channel sound, GbE LAN, USB 3.0. Gigabyte still has XP drivers on their website in 2023, thanks guys! Website says XP will only have ATA/IDE mode, but I've been running all my XPs in ACHI/SATA mode without an issue.

Storage: Western Digital 5900rpm Green 2TB x8 (at least 4 are backup drives not always connected.)
    I've used 3TB+ drives in XP (XP32: Paragon GPT Loader, XP64: natively) but I'm not satisfied with GPT's reliability so I always buy 2TB drives.
    OS: Quad boot Partition 1: Windows Millennium Edition and DOS tools like Ranish Partition Manager, NDD, LFNDOS, NTFS4DOS
    Partition 2: WinXP x64 SP2 (need to try out that new unofficial SP3)
    Partition 3: WinXP x86 SP3 (menu selectable with or without GamerSky's 64gb RAM pae patch)
    Partition 4: Win7 Pro x64

@tekkaman, Mypal68 is loading YouTube just fine on my XP64, all though I'm using uBo and uMatrix extensions. Also, Ashampoo HDD Control 3 has been fantastic for APM and AAM settings (I use full speed/full volume of course) and SMART data monitoring.

cleverscreenname, Dec 2, 2023
Ask a Question