Who has installed XP on a newer computer?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by cornemuse, May 8, 2016.

1. cornemuse

cornemuse

I dragged out my old (10+ yrs) Toshiba laptop out. Realized just how much I really like it! Runs XP home. I have a Tosh A505 with '7' on it. Also, I have another drive 'swapped out' which has 'XP-P-64 bit' for the 505. Its just a pain trying to make it work (drivers etc) but I keep playing with it. I just dont like 7, 8, 8.?, 10, (n)or Vista (n)either. Another thing, I really prefer the 4x3 (old tosh) screen over widescreen monitors. Last year I spent $1,000 + on a Eizo 21" 4x3 monitor. Use it mostly, tho I have a Samsung 27" mon which is only about 1/2" higher than the Eizo. KVM switch the Tosh to the K/(eizo)/M. Use the 27" for graphics editing (with, natch', another XP computer).

What do others here do/have setup at home?? I am curious, , ,

-corne-

Extra! Go here:

http://thepeers.com/Files/Screensavers/Matrix/-C=S&O=A.htm

D/L "scrnphas.zip" = was a college project quite a few years back, a really trippy screensaver, freeware. (turn off voice ques!)
    Works on all flavors of XP.

cornemuse, May 8, 2016
    cleverscreenname, cmccaff1 and trimis like this.
  2. cornemuse

Mike_Walsh

Hiya, cornemuse.

Well, now; I wouldn't exactly say I've installed it on a newer computer, so much as regularly re-installed it on a couple of older, but seriously upgraded ones.

My old 2002/3 Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop originally came with Win XP Home ; 2.2 GHz single-core Celeron; 128 MB of RAM; and a 20 GB Hitachi Travelstar IDE HDD. These days, it runs a 2.6 GHz P4; 1 GB of RAM (max the mobo will handle); and a 64 GB Kingspec IDE SSD, which I mentioned the other day.

My 'big rig' is an 11 year old Compaq Presario desktop PC, from just prior to the HP takeover; genuine Compaq manufacture, therefore of far superior quality. It came with a single-core Athlon64 3200+; I GB of DDR400 RAM; and a WD 160GB Caviar 'Black' IDE HDD. These days, she sports a dual-core Athlon64 X2 3800+; 4 GB DDR400 RAM; a WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue' SATA HDD (the mobo on this was manufactured when SATA were just coming onto the market in force, so has both IDE and SATA ports); and a 32 GB Transcend IDE SSD, which I use as a boot drive for XP itself. My 'Puppies' all sit on the SATA drive.

All working a treat.....especially after I replaced the generic 280W 'silver box' PSU with a 500W, B50 CoolerMaster single-rail last year.

The Compaq was 'donated' by my sister, when XP EOL came around, and she bought a new machine with Win7 pre-installed. I'm like you; never really got into Win7 (didn't like the interface, and after that, Windows just went downhill, as far as I'm concerned.)

My monitor, a Dell 15.1" @1024 x 768, was donated by my brother, after he treated himself to a brand new Apple iMac, with the Retina 29" display, a couple of years ago. I'm not complaining; like you, too, I don't like the widescreen displays.

The printer (an Epson Stylus SX218, a sibling to the business-class WorkForce series), I'd already bought a couple of years earlier. Always dead reliable, and, touch wood, has never yet let me down.

So that's my situation at present. I've got the Win XP 'Black' Edition running on the big Compaq, and Win XP Pro running on the old Dell. Both lean'n'mean, with no extraneous crap on them at all. And they're both running sweetly!

Mike. ;)

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Mike_Walsh, May 8, 2016
    r3tr0g4mr_qbc likes this.
  3. cornemuse

XP-MCE

I had an a505 with xp on it it ran fine

XP-MCE, May 13, 2016
  4. cornemuse

cornemuse

Where did you find the various drivers for it?

-c-

cornemuse, May 13, 2016
  5. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, May 13, 2016
    cleverscreenname likes this.
  6. cornemuse

eatup

Just reinstalled XP on a partition that was giving me some problems. Really love that "new paint" feeling right now...

eatup, May 15, 2016
  7. cornemuse

cornemuse

Got a little red "X" when clicking on 'XP sp2-3'.

(edit = did this last year, already tried here)

the 505 is/was a '7' machine.

I have 64 bit XP on one hdd for it, = sluggish, but works.

Other drive has 7 on it, = well, it has 7 on it, , , ,

-c-

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    cornemuse, May 15, 2016
  8. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

I get that little red x also but the drivers listed on the right side say for xp/7

Elizabeth23, May 15, 2016
  9. cornemuse

Dibya

I run XP in i7 with out any hick . It is as much fast a linux

Dibya, Jun 3, 2016
  10. cornemuse

Touko White

I run XP on a virtual machine on a MacBook Air, since it's impossible to dual-boot it since a few years.

Already I'm loving the simplicity, and cannot wait to connect it to the Internet. ^^

Touko White, Jun 4, 2016
  11. I had a 2012 laptop and I installed xp on a little over a year ago because every modern OS was slow on it. (Even Windows 7 which is what it came with.)

Skeleton11223, Jan 12, 2018
  12. cornemuse

Compaq_8200_Elite

I have 2 HP Compaq Elite 8200 I7-2600 CMT's and one SFF (small form factor that I dual boot XP and XP64.
    Drivers are available from HP. All are very fast especially after installing SSD drives. I love the simplicity of the CMT cases. They can be worked on without a screwdriver.
    The last 8200 I7-266 8gb CMT ram computer I bought only cost $85.00 on Ebay. One CMT (convertible minitower) I converted the power supply to an ATX version to run a AMD HD4830 video card.
    To install an ATX power supply and not get the the "515 FAN boot error" buy and modify a "AYA 12-Inch ATX Main 24-Pin to 6-Pin PCI-E PSU Power Adapter Cable 18AWG HP Z220"
    For Pin # reference the green wire 'PS On" wire on original 6 pin P2 connector is Pin 3.
    Move the green wire to Pin 3 on the new P2 connector.
    The empty reserved slots on the original P2 connector are pins 5 + 6. No wire needs to be connected to pins 5 + 6.
    Leave Pin 1 "FAN CMD" empty as the Black and Red wires on the new P2 connector go to ground pins 17 + 18 on the 24 pin ATX connector.
    The Yellow wire Power Good wire goes to PIN 4.
    Cut the Red wire close to the 24 pin AXT connector.
    Connect cut end of the red wire to the TAC signal gray wire of the Chassis Fan. The other end of the red wire goes in slot 2 of the new P2 connector.
    Pin 1 slot leave empty
    Pin2 slot red (connect the other end to chassis fan tac wire, my wire was gray)
    Pin3 slot green Power on (pin 16 on 24 pin ATX connector)
    Pin4 slot Yellow (Power Good pin 8 on 24 pin ATX connector)
    Pin 5 slot leave empty
    Pin6 slot leave empty
    The Black wire is grounded at the 24 pin ATX connector so it wire does not need to be connected to the new P2 connector.
    Connecting slot 2 on the P2 connector to the chassis fan tac signal stops the 515 FAN boot error!

Compaq_8200_Elite, Mar 6, 2018
  13. cornemuse

esyede

Count me in!:D

esyede, Apr 5, 2018
  14. cornemuse

nick015

i did

nick015, Apr 11, 2018
  15. cornemuse

trimis

Currently, I have a used Dell Optiplex 755 (came with XP Pro already installed), that I bought from Ebay. Guess I've had it about six months now. I'm slowly working on a custom-build that was designed to run XP Pro at its optimum. I got most of the hardware components now. What remains are difficult to track down, but I figure sometime before the end of 2018, I'll be up and running. Got three used XP Pro install discs, each with multiple activations left on them, and two used Microsoft Office 2003 Basic install discs, ready for my custom-build. Not sure if this qualifies as a "newer computer" you asked about, since legacy/used parts are what XP does best with...but it will be new to me, will definitely outperform my Dell, and I expect will be my last PC ever.

trimis, Apr 12, 2018
  16. cornemuse

ovindigo

I just did.. today :D

ovindigo, Jun 15, 2018
  17. cornemuse

Sixthofmay

I also like the HP Compaq CMT business class computers you can get cheap on eBay. I've got a few DC7800, DC7900, and 8100 here running XP and Windows 7. Some parts (power supply) may be proprietary, but inexpensive on Amazon and eBay. First thing I do with a new one (before power on) is image the spinning drive with Acronis and restore that to a SSD. Huge performance increase.

Sixthofmay, Jun 27, 2018
  18. cornemuse

cmccaff1

The newest machine I've been able to install XP on is a Dell Latitude E6410. I'm hoping to get a PC with a 2nd/3rd/4th-gen Intel Core processor in the future, since as far as I know those are the most recent models that have reliable compatibility with Windows XP as far as driver/device support. 2nd/3rd-gen stuff is getting pretty affordable, but I may still have to wait on the 4th-gen stuff for a while.

cmccaff1, Sep 15, 2018
  19. cornemuse

Katie Boundary

I have installed XP on literally every desktop I've ever built. Most recently, I had to specifically choose older components that I knew XP drivers existed for: an AMD socket AM2+ processor and motherboard with a Geforce 700-series graphics card. This was before I knew how badly the AMD bulldozer architecture sucked. As soon as I have money again, I'm going to stock up on Intel LGA 1155 motherboards and processors because I plan to keep using XP for a LONG time and those parts are going to get VERY hard to find, VERY quickly!

Katie Boundary, May 22, 2019
    cleverscreenname, trimis and cmccaff1 like this.
  20. cornemuse

cmccaff1

Haswell, and to a lesser degree Broadwell, are the newest architectures that will still support XP without much of a fight on the users' end to get everything up & running. After Broadwell it gets MUCH more difficult.

cmccaff1, Jun 3, 2019
Ask a Question