What browser do you use?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Termingamer2-JD, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Termingamer2-JD

Termingamer2-JD

I use too many to list however the one I am generally using for visiting some boards is actually IE6.

Contrary to what people say, IE6 is a good browser, if you have
    a) a fast connection (54mbps or higher)
    b) another browser in case something doesn't load

I normally use it for sites I trust such as this forum, which of course loads it perfectly fine - fitting for an XP forum.

And I hate IE7 and IE8 for being slow and horrible in general.

But as I say I have other browsers. Which work too.
    Post what browser you are using here and why. Even if you do use IE6 to do a few things.

Termingamer2-JD, Sep 1, 2015
  2. Termingamer2-JD

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    Google Canary 64 bit. Forget the canary name, why the Google developers came up with that name I do not know. The browser is quite simply, Chrome 64 bit. Very fast, very stable. The only niggle is that history cannot be deleted at shut down.

Also, for those who would like to try a 64 bit build of Firefox, try Palemoon 64 bit. Pale Moon is built on the Firefox engine/code and in my ordinary opinion well worth a try.

Differences between the two browsers.

Google Canary has it's own built in version of Flashplayer. Pale Moon does not. Easy enough to install Flashplayer 64 bit.

Performance. For once there are differences one can see/time count. Google Canary is very fast for live video, say YouTube. Palemoon lags a bit. Pages open noticeably faster with Google Canary.

Internet Explorer, personal choice, no thanks.

So, I use Google Canary 64 bit.

Cheers,

Aunty Jack.

Aunty Jack, Sep 2, 2015
  3. Termingamer2-JD

Jody Thornton

Unfortunately support has been dropped for Pale Moon for XP x64. It ceased last month. I don't use Google Chrome so I cannot speak to that. The support for XP under Google Chrome finishes at the end of 2015.

One can use the Pale Moon release for the Atom processor. It's a tad more lightweight and works on Windows XP.

Jody Thornton, Sep 2, 2015
  4. Termingamer2-JD

metastasis69

I still use firefox and i open it using a restricted account mode. My computer is guarded by Baidu Antivirus and locked the disk with DeepFreeze.

metastasis69, Sep 4, 2015
  5. Termingamer2-JD

Mike_Walsh

In a word.....Slimjet.

It's based on the open-source Chromium, but is essentially Chrome, without the tracking crap, and with extra levels of privacy built-in. And with pre-Australis Firefox-type tabs.

I run several flavours of Puppy Linux, too, and use it in them as well.

Thoroughly recommended.

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    Mike_Walsh, Mar 8, 2016
  6. Termingamer2-JD

Elizabeth23

@ Mike_Walsh:

not sure how long slimjet will last??

from here

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Elizabeth23, Apr 2, 2016
  7. Termingamer2-JD

Mike_Walsh

Morning, Liz. (May I call you that?)

Mmm. Fair enough. TBH, I know the writing's on the wall for 32-bit. My big ol' Compaq desktop, despite being 10 yrs old, has always been capable of running 64-bit OSs.....Socket-939, originally single-core Athlon64, now a dual-core X2. I've just always found 32-bit stuff to run so fast on her, though.

One of my 'Pups' is now a 64-bit version, mainly so that I can continue to use Chrome itself. (The Ubuntu .deb packages download and install straight off, with no dependency hassles.) I don't tend to go online that much with XP these days; it's used more as a graphics workstation. Although I can do most of my graphic design stuff in Puppy, courtesy of WINE, there's still the odd app that just won't run properly, but will do so in XP.

Main reason I even have browsers still installed in XP is because with running, like, 7 OSs on here, it's a PITA to keep switching back and forth from one to t'other, just to quickly look something up..!

Besides SlimJet, I also have FireFox installed, more as a backup than anything else. I have nothing against FireFox, but prefer Chrome, simply 'cos the account syncing just seems to work so much better.

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Mike_Walsh, Apr 2, 2016
  8. Termingamer2-JD

Elizabeth23

I installed slimjet to test it, I was not to happy with its adblocker, which still showed ads on youtube, and said not to install any other adblockers.

youtube did play fine on slimjet though.

so it is 50/50. :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 2, 2016
  9. Termingamer2-JD

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    Hello Everybody,

I run XP under Oracle VM Virtual Box. For XP under Virtual Box I run Firefox. Support is still available for Firefox which is great. Off the browser topic but on XP. XP runs like lightening under virtual Box, amazing. I set 1.5 GB RAM for XP and tweaked the video RAM memory allocated, a whopping 16 MB up to 128 MB. Not great but more than most PC's video cards had when XP first came out nearly 16 years ago. Virtual hard disk for XP is 40 GB. Being a virtual hard disk, no hardware to interpose itself in copy/paste/run/load etc. Simply Zap, it's done.Now I have XP back at near full screen, say 15 inch as per the old "monitor bricks" or the very early LCD monitors. Am I still happy with XP, you betcha I am.

Of course the main OS is Windows 10 which is quite good in my humble opinion after suitable "waterboarding and attaching electrodes to tender parts".

This is my "two pence worth".

Cheers,

Aunty Jack.

Aunty Jack, Apr 2, 2016
  10. Termingamer2-JD

cornemuse

I use firefox portable, works just fine (have it on a thumb drive, too!),

(FireFoxPortable_21.0)

-c-

cornemuse, Apr 2, 2016
  11. Termingamer2-JD

eatup

XP: There is only one answer --- Opera 12.18 and or 36 (the last version to support XP)
    Firefox doesn't cut it. Can't watch good quality YT vids in Firefox b/c they purposely limit the resolution (but not the same program in Win 7).

Win7: Firefox trounces Opera. It's much faster, so YT videos play much smoother with full range of resolutions as Opera.

eatup, Apr 2, 2016
  12. Termingamer2-JD

Jody Thornton

With you there. The only thing that is promising is that it's the only current-ish browser that has a working x64 build for XP.

Jody Thornton, Apr 4, 2016
  13. Termingamer2-JD

Elizabeth23

@Jody Thornton, read here, hope it lasts for awhile yet, :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 4, 2016
  14. Termingamer2-JD

Jody Thornton

I had read that a week ago :) That's why I wasn't putting a lot of stock on the browser's future

Jody Thornton, Apr 4, 2016
  15. Termingamer2-JD

Elizabeth23

Have started another thread dealing with browsers, :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 4, 2016
  16. Termingamer2-JD

trimis

I realize this is an old thread, but thought I would mention that Slimjet 9.0.7.0 seems to have changed a lot. I have made no adjustments, addons, etc. I went to youtube, and saw nothing that I can identify as ads (hard to tell with that site). Also, there are plenty of addons/extensions available, including ublock...I think you mentioned liking that one.

trimis, Apr 12, 2018
  17. Termingamer2-JD

Elizabeth23

I might try slimjet again later (version 10 is the last version supporting xp) but will stick with firefox ESR for now. :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 12, 2018
  18. Termingamer2-JD

trimis

Just curious, have you heard of a new homebrew browser someone is doing for XP. Sorta like the 'New Moon' build, but I think it may use the qt webkit/webengine? I saw it mentioned for download somewhere, but it seems my bookmark didn't take, and bleachbit erased the history.

trimis, Apr 13, 2018
  19. Termingamer2-JD

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Apr 13, 2018
    wyxchari likes this.
  20. Termingamer2-JD

Jody Thornton

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Jody Thornton, Apr 16, 2018
Ask a Question