Web Browsers / SP2(3) Update

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by MattC, May 16, 2020.

1. MattC

MattC

Hi, there. (Newbie, here.)

I've installed XP on a VM for testing and playing/using older games/apps (applications, as they used to be called in the good-ol-days ;)). However, I'm finding it difficult to run many of these programs (another word from a bygone age ;)). One of these is IE (ver 6). It errors continually, as does an older version of Firefox (ver 12*).

1. Is there a web browser that is up to date and works on XP?

2. Also, trying to find a version of Firefox that works on SP1 was not easy. Is there a way to update XP to SP2/3 - I don't have the update disk, and I don't want to reinstall the whole thing.

Matt

*Interestingly, clicking on 'About Firefox' in ver 12 produces the 'About' box which claims 'Firefox is up to date' :confused:

MattC, May 16, 2020
  2. MattC

j896

I believe elizabeth23 has a link to SP3 wait for her to post ..Then you could use NewMoon or My pal they still get updates for XP

j896, May 16, 2020
  3. MattC

flavallee Guest

flavallee, May 16, 2020
  4. MattC

MattC

Thank you. Unfortunately, I am only at SP 1 at the moment, so these may not work, yet.

Matt

MattC, May 16, 2020
  5. MattC

flavallee Guest

As long as SP1 is already installed, SP3 should install.

flavallee, May 16, 2020
  6. MattC

MattC

MattC, May 16, 2020
  7. MattC

j896

Go to control panel then system.. that will tell you if SP3 is installed or not

j896, May 16, 2020
  8. MattC

Elizabeth23

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=D7389B68B3A275AD!834&cid=D7389B68B3A275AD

my public files on onedrive, download ie8, ie8 updates, sp3 and then install all of them, reboot twice, after make sure automatic updates is started and from the start/all programs menu at the top there is a link to windows update, click on this , will take you to the update website where it will ask you to update to microsoft update, say yes and then say yes to the install of an active x.

then it will search for updates and there are a lot, the search itself will take awhile, and there will be some that you have to install first.

when the required downloads are installed, go to start/turn off computer/ there are 3 buttons here and if the Shutdown button has a little shield icon this tells you that in order to install updates you have to shutdown and not just restart, the pc will shutdown eventually, but it is a long , long process to install especially if you are installing any .net programs, just be patient

firefox listing of versions for full download and offline install below

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

NOTE: the service pack 3 on my website is the microsoft version :)

Elizabeth23, May 16, 2020
  9. MattC

MattC

Elizabeth23: Thank you for replying (to this and the other thread). I used the link in flavallee's post above, before you came back, and it seemed to work fine. I'll have a look at IE8 and the other browsers in flaverllee's post.

Matt

MattC, May 16, 2020
  10. MattC

Elizabeth23

no problem, :)

Elizabeth23, May 17, 2020
  11. MattC

ClippyBeer

Avoid IE8 since it doesn't work with the majority of HTTPS sites and is notoriously insecure. For XP your best bet is MyPal since it is regularly updated. I can't speak for Maxthon but if it is Chrome based it will have the same problem as IE8 - it won't be able to connect to most HTTPS sites. Internet Explorer and any Chromium-based browsers rely on XP's system TLS certificates for connecting to HTTPS websites. Mozilla browsers use their own internal certificates.

ClippyBeer, May 17, 2020
  12. MattC

Elizabeth23

everyone, my only emphasis on ie8 is that microsoft update website needs ie8, I myself do not use ie8 for anything but that and once my updates are complete I disable automatic updates and go onto my main browser firefox and secondary MyPal. :)

Elizabeth23, May 17, 2020
  13. MattC

lmemsm

Am wondering if there's a way to point a Chrome based browser to newer certificates? I know Firefox has that option. The curl program has an optional certificate bundle that can be downloaded that's up-to-date. Linux from Scratch also has information on building your own certificate package. I've done a port of the steps and it works on Windows.

lmemsm, May 18, 2020
  14. MattC

lmemsm

I've run lynx, D+ and Netrider on Windows XP. They're not the latest and greatest browsers, but they do work. Netrider is webkit based and D+ is a fork of Dillo that works for Windows and DOS.

lmemsm, May 18, 2020
  15. MattC

esyede

It's a hard thing to find since chromium-based browser by design uses native OS certificate. On the other hand, firefox-based browser implements their own certificate. That's way xp-compatible browser such as Mypal/Serpent can update their certificates

esyede, Jun 6, 2020
  16. MattC

red Guest

just downloaded the my pal/ duck to go, or whatever it is called works alot better than fox esr ,no hang ups or slowdowns, so the only question i have is the add ons?ad block ,veepn, privacy badger , will they work with this version of fox?
    cheers phill

red, Apr 26, 2021
  17. MattC

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Apr 26, 2021
  18. MattC

red Guest

ty but seems the site has now closed,have tried some of the links but are dead, and the download they suggest wold take forever :)

red, Apr 26, 2021
Ask a Question