Trying to install Ethernet controller

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by emtor, May 2, 2018.

1. emtor

emtor

I installed the drivers manually.
    I've already visited the link above but the computer gets worse and worse by the minute, and won't connect to the internet at all now preventing me to download anything, so I commited high treason and installed Ubuntu just to get a usable computer. Works like a charm.
    The problem could surely be fixed, but I have lost patience after buying a HP laptop with Win10 six months ago. I've never encountered a computer/OS with so many grave problems as this one.
    Right-click disappears, windows explorer refuses to show contents, computer shuts off spontaniously, start menu freezes, etc.
    Re-install from back-up partition . . . not helping,-clean install . . . computer even worse, following advice on tenforums . . . not helping.
    So, I returned the HP and now I'm getting paranoid every time I see the Windows logo. :eek:
    Buying software that install drivers is a no-no in my book. Tried several, and they all come up with different results for detecting outdated drivers when scanning.
    I'm not paying for something that might not fix the problem.

I tried "scannow" and it did perhaps find the problem since it reported that files were corrupted and needed to be replaced. BUT,- it asked for the service pack 3 CD in order to do so. Too bad my XP Pro version came with SP3 intergrated. In other words no CD . . . no solution to the problem.
    Too bad, since XP Pro/SP3 did serve me well in the past. Almost bulletproof when it works.
    Anyway, thanks for the help.

emtor, May 6, 2018
  2. emtor

Elizabeth23

you are welcome, sorry it did not help, :(

Elizabeth23, May 6, 2018
Ask a Question