Trying to install Ethernet controller

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by emtor, May 2, 2018.

1. emtor

emtor

WinXP Pro
    Lenovo 3000 N500 laptop.

Installed winXP yesterday, downloaded drivers from Lenovo, installed them and it worked OK.
    Reinstalled (don’t ask why) XP today and I have problems installing ethernet controller and audio.
    Drivers installed into C:\ and in device manager I point to the correct location for the drivers but Windows tells me the device could not be installed.
    I think I need some help.

emtor, May 2, 2018
  2. emtor

Elizabeth23

download the drivers again, save to laptop and then double click to install, they will self install.

Elizabeth23, May 2, 2018
  3. emtor

emtor

This is what I did:
    Windows explorer . . . C:\DRIVERS\WLAN\52wi07ww\XP\x32\Drivers\dpinst32
    This being the path that the driver unpacked to.
    I doubleclicked dpinst32 and it installed and I could see my wifi. I connected OK but the webbrowser can´t display the page(s).
    My ipad works, so theres nothing wrong with my router.
    Before reinstalling XP I had problems with computer not finding the network. Using the repair option fixed it for while.

emtor, May 2, 2018
  4. emtor

Elizabeth23

have windows make the wifi connection for you, and if you get an error give me the exact error message please,

Elizabeth23, May 2, 2018
  5. emtor

emtor

No error messages.
    Windows seems to detect wifi networks just fine.

emtor, May 2, 2018
  6. emtor

Elizabeth23

if it can detect then you should see your connection and then click on it to get connected.?

Elizabeth23, May 2, 2018
  7. emtor

emtor

Went to another site and it works at least for now, but there are some sites that won´t display. Those sites won´display on my ipad either.

emtor, May 2, 2018
  8. emtor

Elizabeth23

what browser are you using? for xp the only browser that is still supported is firefox ESR version 52.7.3

Elizabeth23, May 2, 2018
  9. emtor

emtor

Internet explorer and chrome,-both behave the same.
    I´ll give firefox a try.

emtor, May 2, 2018
  10. emtor

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, May 2, 2018
  11. emtor

emtor

Firefox works. One of the sites that refused to display was a german car parts store.
    Works in firefox.
    Funny thing was tha this site didn´t display in safari either (ipad).
    Thanks for helping.

emtor, May 2, 2018
  12. emtor

Elizabeth23

you are welcome, :)

Elizabeth23, May 2, 2018
  13. emtor

emtor

Well . . . firefox worked for a while.
    Experiencing lots of sites that can not be displayed and very long loading times for some sites.
    Which sites the problem applies to is random. Some times a site loads fast, other times the same site loads super slow or not at all. Signal strength is exellent by the way.
    My ipad, macbook and smartphone are not affected so I'm ruling out my router or DNS or the sites themselves.

The driver for the ethernet controller was downloaded from Lenovo and was the correct driver when the Lenovo computer was launched. But I downloaded software that updates drivers and it reported that the driver for the ethernet controller was "extremely old" and the software found another driver and installed it.
    After rebooting, the little network icon (bottom right of the screen) had changed to a transmitting antenna instead of the little computer screen icon. The next day the icon had changed from the antenna icon back to the computer screen icon.
    Using a cable or using wifi has no effect on loading sites.
    It helps to right-click the network icon and choose "repair" when sites won't load, but it takes only a short time before it's back to square one.
    XP is otherwise behaving well. No chrashes or odd behaviour apart from the fact that when booting the install new hardware wizard pops up wanting to install a driver for the ethernet controller.

emtor, May 4, 2018
  14. emtor

Elizabeth23

in device manager are there any yellow exclamation points?

do you have another ethernet card on your pc? for example I had to buy a new card from dell because the one that came with my desktop did not work. Therefore when I set my bios back to basic, I have to remember to disable the original controller so that I do not get that found new hardware.

what is running at the same time as firefox?

are your services set to only have the necessary services running? see black vipers website for xp sp3 services , the link is for 32 bit but there is 64bit info at the website.

are you running a proxy? look in the options of firefox

what is your antivirus?

are there any errors in event viewer?

have you defragged and run a scan?

finally keep task manager up so you can monitor what is running at the same time

Elizabeth23, May 4, 2018
  15. emtor

Elizabeth23

reply 2: how much ram do you have installed on your laptop?

Elizabeth23, May 4, 2018
  16. emtor

emtor

in device manager are there any yellow exclamation points?
    Lots of them:

Audio device on high definition audio bus
    Base system device
    Base system device
    Audio Device BCM2046 bluetooth device
    Ethernet controller
    Modem device on high definition audio bus
    SM buscontroller
    Video controller
    Video controller (VGA compatible)

do you have another ethernet card on your pc?
    No-not to my knowledge.

what is running at the same time as firefox?
    antivirus only.

are your services set to only have the necessary services running?
    I'll check it out.

are you running a proxy?
    Yes,. "use system settings". -I'll change that to no proxy.

what is your antivirus?
    Avast.

are there any errors in event viewer?
    Yes, disturbingly many, in both application and system.

have you defragged and run a scan?
    Will do.

How much RAM
    2Gigs.

emtor, May 4, 2018
  17. emtor

Elizabeth23

you are missing some drivers, I will see if I can find them, especially the smbus, that is the chipset and it is the FIRST driver that should be installed so that all the other drivers will work.

is your version of avast compatible with xp?

in event viewer, right click on each directory and choose "clear all events" you will be given the option to save, do so if you wish, once they are clear, then run your system normally and then see what errors are then currently exposed. you can copy/paste the error by double clicking error, this will bring up a details dialog box, in the right side, the third icon down that looks like an open book, click once, this will copy to clipboard, then open a reply box here in the forum and right click and choose paste, you can edit out any info you need to but mostly I need the source id and the event error number.

in task manager, you can double click on the CPU header and this will list the processes' running by how much ram they are using so the most heavy user will be at the top, if it is system idle, this is good.

will go look for drivers now. :)

Elizabeth23, May 4, 2018
  18. emtor

Elizabeth23

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-C-E-K-M-N-and-V-Series/XP-drivers-for-N500/td-p/243994

read the thread above, apparently to install a lenevo driver, once they are extracted you have to go to the place where they were extracted to and run the setup , so go download all the drivers again and reinstall, (does not hurt to install over the other drivers), install the chipset first. I went to the site to download drivers but needed the serial number on your pc to get to the driver download site.

Elizabeth23, May 4, 2018
  19. emtor

emtor

Even if you had the S/N it wouldn't have helped. I've tried typing in S/N and product type and the site can't find anything.
    Perhaps I'm wrong, but isn't it so that computer manufacturer's use hardware from different hardware manufacturers? So,-there is drivers from the computer manufacturers and drivers from the hardware manufacturers. If so, I could try to track down drivers not found on the Lenovo site.

emtor, May 5, 2018
  20. emtor

Elizabeth23

https://drp.su/en/laptops/lenovo/3000-n500?os=windows-xp-x86

you can download for free and install yourself or I think you can buy the software to do it automatically, I would just download for free. I had thought you said you already had the drivers, and they looked liked they installed, but you have to install manually for lenevo according to the thread I posted.

Elizabeth23, May 5, 2018
Ask a Question