Should I install these drivers?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by Janice, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Janice

Janice

I reinstalled my 2nd XP and Drivers Cloud is offering me these updates. See screen shots 1 an 2. In screen shot 3 you can see that i need drivers only for the item 'Other devices'.

(1) Is it a good idea to install all these newer drivers in spite of the fact that everything is working fine with the old drivers?

(1) Which of these drivers are relevant for the item 'Other devices'?

Screenshot_1.png Screenshot_2.png Screenshot_3.png

Janice, Sep 24, 2019
  2. Janice

Elizabeth23

newer is not necessarily better as was proved with windows installer versions, if the drivers are doing well, leave them alone, many driver programs say to update but most of the time you end up with a 7b blue screen

Elizabeth23, Sep 24, 2019
  3. Janice

Janice

From the above drivers which ones should I install for the 'SM Bus Controller and 'Unknown device seen in 'Other devices'. Please see the screen shots for details.

Screenshot_1.png Screenshot_2.png

Janice, Sep 25, 2019
  4. Janice

Elizabeth23

smbus controller should be with the chipset driver, which should have been installed first,

NM10/ICH7 Family SMBus Controller device instance ID

The ATK0110 is unique to Asus boards and is also part of the chipset

what make and model and model number of pc?

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/ASUS_CoolnQuiet_V21706.zip

above from HERE it is an asus driver utility

Elizabeth23, Sep 25, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  5. Janice

Janice

Asus P5LD2 Motherboard - Home assembled Desktop.

Janice, Sep 25, 2019
  6. Janice

cornemuse

I think 'SM Bus Controller' has to do with audio, an error kept popping up. I reinstalled audio drivers & it went away.

that ASUS P5LD2 mobo is a good one! I have the P5LD2 DELUXE model. Has 5 internal sata sockets & one esata.

cornemuse, Sep 25, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  7. Janice

Elizabeth23

given what cornemuse has said, then I guess you should go ahead and install what cloud driver said you need.

Elizabeth23, Sep 25, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  8. Janice

Janice

I did that and everything is fine. Thank you both :)

Janice, Sep 30, 2019
  9. Janice

Janice

I just noticed that the problem is persisting. Computer is working fine. That's why I failed to take notice. In Device Manager the item Other Devices with SM bus Controller and Unknown Device still have the yellow question marks, just like in the screen shot in my 1st post above. Drivers Cloud showed the status of all my drivers and only these two items show a problem. See the screen shots below. I don't notice any problem with the computer functions.

Drivers Cloud does not offer any drivers or driver updates for these items. Also, Other Devices is absent from my other XP installation! Its Device Manager is clean with no yellow question marks.

Driver Screenshot_8.png Driver 2 Screenshot_8.png

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Janice, Oct 11, 2019
  10. Janice

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Oct 11, 2019
  11. Janice

Computer semi-expert

Also, try listing all the drivers on the OK XP and compare it to the problematic list. The devices missing from the problematic list are the ones that are the yellow question marks.

Computer semi-expert, Oct 11, 2019
  12. Janice

Janice

I have to make something clearer. In the XP with the clean Device Manager (no yellow Question marks), the item Other Devices is missing from the list. There is nothing between Network Adapters and Ports (COM & LPT). See screen shot. Only the problem XP Device Manager has this item Other Devices. To put it another way, XP 1 has the item Other Devices (with yellow marks), in the Device Manager list. XP 2 does not have the item Other Devices at all, in the Device Manager list. Quite puzzling!

Dev. Manager Good.png

From the link below, I just downloaded and installed the .exe version from the .zip version page link you sent.
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20019.

That cleared up the SM Bus Controller. It disappeared from Device Manager leaving only the Unknown Device under Other Devices.
    Device Man. latest.png
    Something noteworthy: They say today is the last date that this utility will be available for download, and the end of life for the .zip version is 29th October 2019!

Janice, Oct 11, 2019
  13. Janice

Elizabeth23

what is the device instance id on the unknown device?

14. Janice

Janice

ACPI\ATK0110\1010110. Screen shot is there on post #3. Here are two screenshots of the expanded Dev. managers of the 2 XPs. You can see this is found in the good Dev. Manger, between ACPI Fixed Feature Button and Direct memory access controller. In the bad Dev. Manager it is not installed (missing in that place). Everything else is identical in the 2 Dev. Mangers.

Good Dev Man..png Bad Dev. Man..png

Janice, Oct 11, 2019
  15. Janice

Elizabeth23

16. Janice

Janice

The download offered by the 1st link ATK0110_(32_1043500) is somewhat different to my device instance ID - ACPI\ATK0110\1010110. In fact this web page offers the identical download for computers with XP and above all the way up to Windows 10. I am wondering whether this could be right. See attachment.

On the other hand, the 2nd link (Semantic) offers the exact driver. But it is a .zip file. At the download stage I was told that it comes with an Installation Manager. The Read me file refers to the installation Manager and says that I must use it and no other method must be used but I don't see it among the extracted files. See screen shot.There is no .exe file either.

At the download screen I was told that if I don't want to use the Download Manager I can follow the instructions in the read me file to manually install, but there are no such instructions. It says I must use the Installation Manager which is not found.

Copy of Read me file is also attached.

Wrong ATK Driver.png Semantic.png Read me.png

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Janice, Oct 12, 2019
  17. Janice

Elizabeth23

on the first link, if you extract the files from the .exe with 7zip there is an .inf file for installation info and it states $Windows NT$" which is legacy windows like xp, so I would use this driver, not the second one as any driver should be an .exe file, I would not use an installation manager myself. :)

note, I extracted the .exe to see what was in it, seems straightforward to me, you do not need to extract the files of a .exe, just double click and it will install itself

Elizabeth23, Oct 12, 2019
  18. Janice

Janice

Thank you. Driver installed and no yellow marks :)

I am wondering how to use this website if I have to find some other driver in future. You gave me the exact page for this driver. I tried to find this on my own (to see if I can do it), by going to the web page https://www.3dpchip.com but I am not able to get to the correct download page that you provided above :mad:

Janice, Oct 13, 2019
  19. Janice

Elizabeth23

first I searched on Duck for ATK0110 driver, win xp went through several pages, checking each until I landed on the one below

https://www.3dpchip.com/driver/acpi5_1.html

then I clicked on 32 bit xp in the list of OSs, then clicked on the download button.

From your link I could not figure out how to get to where the download was.

it is always better to search, time consuming, but you can generally find exactly what you want. :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 13, 2019
  20. Janice

Janice

That's what bugged me too!
    I guess it depends on who does the searching. I myself did quite a bit of searching but never got this page :eek:

Thank you once again for helping with this :)

Janice, Oct 13, 2019
Ask a Question