Repair install stuck in loop, help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by Chuck, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Chuck

Elizabeth23

additional reply, have you done this?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

also insure that you have each of the files that need to be reregistered, if not I can upload them, and just to be sure, you are on a 32bit system correct?

if you right click on My Computer and choose properties, if you do not see 64bit anywhere on the general tab, then you have 32bit.

Elizabeth23, Nov 5, 2013
  2. Chuck

Chuck

Well, this is embarrassing! I've tried all these things and still no joy. I can't understand why I'm still having this problem after a clean install and doing all these things.

I can't remember what I did that changed the BITS service... installing and registering the Wups2.dll file had no effect. I've actually come across that page you linked to already and tried that stuff... I've run that Fix It (and others) already, to no avail.

As I said, the one report that the Fix Its I've ran always seem to find is:

'Service registration is missing or corrupt.'

These ones also tend to pop up:

'Cryptographic service components are not registered.'

'Windows Update error 0x800B0100.'

My system is 32bit. I'm pretty certain I have all those Windows Update files, they seem to register okay... maybe some of them are corrupt? I might try another clean install of Windows and try your recommendations again.

Oh yeah, I should mention... in Task Manager, the CPU for Windows Update always seems to go up and down, then return to 00.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    Chuck, Nov 7, 2013
  3. Chuck

Elizabeth23

I am really at a loss will try to keep searching, and if you do a clean install, have your drivers, sp3, ie8, windows installer 4.5, and mse ready on a flash drive

install sp3 BEFORE ie8

Elizabeth23, Nov 7, 2013
  4. Chuck

Chuck

Hi, apologies for lateness of reply... I've tried installing from a SP3 slipstream CD, then from the XP SP1a CD and installing everything from a USB, to no avail. I was going to give up, but gave it one more shot - this time I did an install from the XP SP1a CD, and started the BITS service, which was stopped, then registered the WU files. At one point I ran Microsoft Fix It and this actually fixed the service registration problem. I installed SP2 and 3 then IE8 (and WMP11, actually), then Windows Installer then the latest Windows Update Agent, but Windows Update won't work. One thing I'm a little unsure about is .Net Framework, I installed the basic .Net initially, should I install the later .Net packs up to 4.0 before or after SP2/3 and IE8?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    Chuck, Nov 15, 2013
  5. Chuck

Elizabeth23

I have .net installed up to 4.0 but that is optional ., What .net's are listed in the add/remove box?

You might want to run a .net fix, which you can do by downloading the files 1,2,3,and 4 from my skydrive, and running them in order, on the second one you will have to be connected to the internet, but after the download completes you will be prompted to disconnect again.

this will take you to .net 3.5, and then see if updates will work

.nets are very lengthy so you will have to be patient.

here is link for my skydrive :

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=d7389b68b3a275ad&id=D7389B68B3A275AD!120

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    Elizabeth23, Nov 16, 2013
  6. Chuck

Chuck

I actually downloaded all available .Nets and have them on a USB. The Install CD contains the basic .Net so I installed that after the Dell drivers, along with optional Windows components and Microsoft Office 2003. Should I install the rest of the .Nets after SP2 and 3?

Chuck, Nov 16, 2013
  7. Chuck

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Nov 18, 2013
  8. Chuck

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Nov 25, 2013
  9. Chuck

Chuck

Hi, apologies for extreme lateness of reply, after many attempts I finally got Windows Update working again... then it seemed to stop working! I've decided to make the latest install my last and if WU decides not to update anymore, then so be it... support ends in a few months anyway and the computer is on it's way out... in any case I'd just like to thank you for your help and wish you a very Happy New Year!:)

Chuck, Dec 31, 2013
  10. Chuck

Elizabeth23

well, I am in the same spot at this time, I had 2 cds that I had slipstreamed sp3 onto, one I did with imgburn and one I did with nlite. well I needed a cdrw so I wiped one cd and used it for my dban, however the cd that I did with imgburn was the one that I wiped and my reinstall with that cd went perfect no probs with updates, so last night I reinstalled with the nlite and I have had nothing but problems, and I can only work on it a few hours at a time.

So, tonight I am going to wipe and reinstall my .nets, because I can get windows updates upgraded to microsoft updates, but have not gotten past the green bar, and I used PortableUpdates instead of WSUS for my offline install and portable updates was not a good program, the last time I used WSUS and it went smooth. But, learn as you go.

Portable updates might work for you, because it was no problem downloading the updates with a connection and it was ready to install right then, but I saved them to a usb for when I wanted to reinstall and when I went to install all the updates offline, portable updates could not find them!! but was all set to install when I first downloaded them, just google for Portable Updates if you want to try.

Will let you know How I get on with my own updates. Happy New Year!!!

Elizabeth23, Jan 1, 2014
  11. Chuck

Elizabeth23

I finally got my pc all updated, my svchost kept going to 99 percent but that was windows trying to get me updated, finally just let it do its thing and eventually all updates were installed. :)

Elizabeth23, Jan 2, 2014
Ask a Question