Realtek High Definition Audio not loading at startup.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Drivers' started by windowsxprules1, Mar 16, 2018.

1. windowsxprules1

windowsxprules1

I will say right at the start that this is an XP x64 issue, but it seems to be that the same machine has the same problem with XP x86.

So, my issue is that I can turn on the computer but have no sound. In order to enable sound, I must go into Device Manager and uninstall one of the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. After that, I can scan for devices, and it will reload the bus driver and then the Realtek driver as if it had been there all along. Sound works correctly, the issue is simply it will not load at startup.

I should also mention that if I scan for devices before removing the device initially, the Realtek device is not detected.

windowsxprules1, Mar 16, 2018
  2. windowsxprules1

Elizabeth23

make, model and model number of pc

With the above info, I can look for a chipset driver and the audio driver so that you can reinstall both drivers, chipset first.

Elizabeth23, Mar 17, 2018
  3. windowsxprules1

windowsxprules1

The computer is a TOSHIBA Satellite C855D-S5320.

windowsxprules1, Mar 17, 2018
  4. windowsxprules1

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Mar 17, 2018
  5. windowsxprules1

Vineet Garg

Hi All,
    Greets,
    Sir(s),
    @windowsxprules1 : Sir, Yes, it seems the problem is with XP & Drivers ( I know about x86 ! ) Actually, xp sp1 & sp2 needs to install : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/888111.
    " This release supports the High Definition Audio and Modem implementations that are known to Microsoft as of August 1, 2004. This is the second version of this driver. "
    Then many companies started adding the fix to their drivers. With XP SP3, Microsoft also slipstreamed the same fix in the build & here is the conflict !
    Now consider / answer these.
    1) This laptop came preloaded with Windows 8 64 ?
    2) What are the other problematic/missing devices in device manager in XP ?
    3) There should be only one of the ' Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio ' and that's xp sp3 inbuilt !
    Where you got the other one from : Did you install the fix yourself ? did it come with the Realtek HD Audio drivers installations ( or other modem device installations) ? What are the versions,dates,differences of the two ' Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio ' drivers ? can you share the used Realtek driver ? Did you slipstream Realtek driver in xp sp3 disk ? You used the '.inf file' or 'setup installer' for realtek audio ?
    4) " In order to enable sound, I must go into Device Manager and uninstall one of the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. After that, I can scan for devices, and it will reload the bus driver and then the Realtek driver as if it had been there all along "
    EDIT : SOON

Thanks & Regards. ...

Vineet Garg, Apr 3, 2018
  6. windowsxprules1

Vineet Garg

To be Contd...
    4. In order to enable sound, I must go into Device Manager and uninstall one of the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. After that, I can scan for devices, and it will reload the bus driver and then the Realtek driver as if it had been there all along "
    Mind it !
    5. what's the full name displayed of Realtek audio device while it starts working/ gets identified in Device manager ? what's the ' hardware id ' ? Anything else significant ?
    6. Let us make a system restore point & try to get rid of the faulty driver(s) ! In recent windows versions , we get an option to delete the driver in the device uninstall dialogue but XP ???... I have to look into it but you also try !
    7. Once we get rid of the faulty driver. The idea is to get Realtek hd audio device listed as 'Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus' under 'Sound, Video & Game Controllers' with a yellow exclamation mark ! ( The functionality given by the proper installation/configuration of the built in MS UAA driver in xp sp3 ) To avoid any difficulty, just copy/back up the file which is here 'C:\WINDOWS\inf\'hdaudbus.inf ''. In the process of getting rid of the faulty driver(s), you may lose that. If you ever need to get back the MS UAA driver installed back properly, place the file 'hdaudbus.inf' back in 'C:\WINDOWS\inf\' , right click it & select install.
    8. Once we get Single MS UAA driver entry and Realtek device with yellow exclamation mark (as said in 7 ) , we would look for a driver for Realtek HD audio device without MS UAA integrated.

I think 'Microsoft Update Catalog' will come handy. ( Microsoft Update Catalog can be approached with any browser). We will look for a driver for Audio device there for xp and match it with its 'hardware id'. Then we will force install it
    OR
    if your device is connected to internet, simply use the Driver Update wizard from device manager to look for drivers @ windows update. ( You don't need to check/look for all the windows updates ! )
    9. There are things to experiment with !

Thanks & Regards. ....

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Vineet Garg, Apr 3, 2018
  7. windowsxprules1

windowsxprules1

1. This laptop came preloaded with Windows 8 64?
    Yes. I received this laptop for Christmas 2012, and it came with Windows 8 x64. I have installed Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and have two hard drives which I swap out. The other one has Windows 10 x64.

2. What are the other problematic/missing devices in Device Manager?
    There are no other missing devices. The Realtek driver functions correctly once it is reloaded.

3. There should only be one UAA Bus Driver.
    Windows XP x64 is loading up two bus drivers. I am uncertain why.
    I have tried slipstreaming, INF installation, and running the normal Realtek setup. None have alleviated the problem. May I add I have reinstalled XP from scratch several times, so it's not a configuration issue with this particular install.

Realtek driver version is 5.10.0.7111.
    Both UAA Bus Drivers are at version 5.10.0.5010.

The two UAA drivers have the following Hardware IDs.
    PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_780D&SUBSYS_FF1E1179&REV_01 -> this one I have to reload to force Realtek to load. It has no effect on the AMD device.
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_1314&SUBSYS_FF1E1179&REV_00 -> this one gives me no problems, and the AMD driver loads at startup without issue. It has no effect on the Realtek device.

4. In order to enable sound, I must go into Device Manager and uninstall one of the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. After that, I can scan for devices, and it will reload the bus driver and then the Realtek driver as if it had been there all along"
    I have been. I'm not really too affected if this issue cannot be fixed, as sound just has to be reloaded, but it would be nice not to be annoyed.

5. what's the full name displayed of Realtek audio device while it starts working/ gets identified in Device manager ? what's the ' hardware id ' ? Anything else significant ?
    The full name is "Realtek High Definition Audio".
    Hardware ID:
    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_1179FC17&REV_1001
    The location of the device is 65535 according to XP x64, while it is 0 according to 10 x64. I do not know if XP doesn't like that location value, but since the device is working after reload, I don't know if that would affect it.

I will have a look into your next few steps and see what happens.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    windowsxprules1, Apr 3, 2018
  8. windowsxprules1

windowsxprules1

I have found a workaround, but I need some assistance in getting it to do one thing here.

windowsxprules1, Apr 4, 2018
    Vineet Garg likes this.
  9. windowsxprules1

Vineet Garg

Hi All,
    Greets,
    Sir(s),

"I have found a workaround, but I need some assistance in getting it to do one thing here. "

@windowsxprules1 : Sir, i got Impressed with your approach & effort, But that's not the right direction & a REAL solution ! I am getting confirmed that the problem is 90% due to drivers & that's too with one or two !
    Now Some Quick Talk :
    Do this & confirm me : 1. take a clean/official/untouched/pure XP SP2 64 iso & use it for installation or still better a pure xp sp3 x86 ( i.e. without any customization, no slimming , no add-ons , no driver slip streaming , no updates, no activation, etc.). You may need to slipstream storage drivers if it doesn't recognize hard disk or doesn't read/find even EULA !
    https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-integrate-floppy-sata-raid-driver-into-windows-xp-cd/
    2. Then go straight to Device Manager & tell me : how many of MS UAA drivers are there now ? Whether a device is listed as 'Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus' under 'Sound, Video & Game Controllers' with a yellow exclamation mark ? Realtek HD Audio is listed ? What are the missing devices ?
    That's it.

Thanks & Regards. ...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Vineet Garg, Apr 4, 2018
  10. windowsxprules1

windowsxprules1

I will need to find a clean XP x64 iso file and burn that in order to do this. I would use the 32 bit version of XP, but the trouble is the x86 version won't allow me to utilize all 8 GB of RAM I have installed, and I have some applications that simply need that. (I'm aware of PAE, but 32 bit Java won't allow me to allocate more than 1.5GB of RAM then.)

P.S. on a slightly unrelated topic, does anyone know how to speed up .NET Framework 4.0 updates? I'm tired of having to let the computer spend six hours installing these things, as I've reinstalled the system so many times it's ridiculous.

windowsxprules1, Apr 4, 2018
  11. windowsxprules1

Vineet Garg

Hi All,
    Greets,
    Sir(s),
    @windowsxprules1 : Sir,

1) " I will need to find a clean XP x64 iso file and burn that in order to do this "

a) A clean xp x64 iso :
    https://the-eye.eu/public/MSDN/Windows XP/
    probably, you will be looking for :
    Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 (x64) - CD VL (English)
    or
    en_win_xp_pro_x64_with_sp2_vl_x31-41611.iso
    SHA1: CD9479E1DBAD7F26B8BDCF97E4AA71CBB8DE932B

Right ?

b) Checking Iso integrity :
    For check sums ( SHA1,etc. ), you can use this free, safe, light & portable utility from Nirsoft :
    https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hash_my_files.html
    ( 'download HashMyFiles for 64-bit systems' at bottom )

c) To extract 'HashMyFiles-x64.zip', You may need an archiver/extractor. You can use this direct download link for WinRAR 5.50 installer ( does good in both 32bit & 64 bit systems ) :
    https://www.win-rar.com/fileadmin/winrar-versions/winrar/wrar550.exe
    I use 7zip 64 bit installer for 64 bit systems from :
    https://www.7-zip.org/

d) Probably, you would like to install XP from pen drive using Rufus :
    https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-install-windows-7-faster-using-usb-flash-drive/

Rufus can't manage multi installers on a single pen drive but it is best for establishing multiboots ! It will format the pen drive whether you choose or not, So back up the data ! All you have to care about is 1.downloading portable version , 2. run it & choose the right pen drive , 3. choose the right partition scheme ! 4. Select 'ISO Image' option, 5. press the icon, browse for the image and double click it 6. Ready ? Go >>

2. ' I would use the 32 bit version of XP, but '
    Ok, go with xp sp2 64 !

3.' the trouble is the x86 version won't allow me to utilize all 8 GB of RAM '
    I think even the xp sp2 x64 can't utilize RAM more than 4GB effectively !

4. 'JAVA'
    Don't say you are going to use Java on xp & that too with the Internet Explorer !

5. Wait : i will be back !

:

Vineet Garg, Apr 5, 2018
  12. windowsxprules1

windowsxprules1

I am not using Java with Internet Explorer. I have Java so I can run a certain game that needs it.

windowsxprules1, Apr 5, 2018
  13. windowsxprules1

Vineet Garg

Hi All,
    Greets,
    Sir(s),
    @windowsxprules1 said :
    I received this laptop for Christmas 2012, and it came with Windows 8 x64. I have installed Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and have two hard drives which I swap out. The other one has Windows 10 x64.
    Sir, can you explain a little ? you have 3 hard disks with windows 8 , 10 & XP ? With all three plugged,
    Open disk management from windows 8 or 10 and on the '' View TAB -> Top -> Disk list ''. On the partition style, you are going to find if it is a GPT or MBR. [​IMG] Expand the columns so we can read them and take a snapshot with the snipping tool of the whole window. You will get something like this.
    https://www.sevenforums.com/install...-10-using-f8-key-post3372377.html#post3372377

https://www.sevenforums.com/attachm...indows-7-windows-10-using-f8-key-disksjpg.jpg

Its necessary to avoid any problems and go ahead !

Thanks & Regards. ...

Vineet Garg, Apr 9, 2018
  14. windowsxprules1

windowsxprules1

I have two drives. When I got the computer, it came with one hard drive that had Windows 8 x64 on it preinstalled by TOSHIBA. About three months later in March 2013 my mother got a computer which used the same hard drive, which also came with Windows 8. The hard drive which came with my PC now runs Windows 10 x64, and the hard drive from the other TOSHIBA runs XP. The other machine's screen doesn't work properly anymore because it was damaged, so I salvaged its hard drive.

windowsxprules1, Apr 10, 2018
  15. windowsxprules1

Vineet Garg

@windowsxprules1 : Sir,

1. how to access Disk Management ?
    https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=1284&h=1&lang=en#win

2. So, you use hard disks one at a time i.e. individually ?
    If yes, boot into xp and take a screenshot of the Disk Management window ( as said earlier ) These may come handy :
    https://web.archive.org/web/2006110...om/windowsxp/using/setup/tips/screenshot.mspx
    OR
    https://www.raymond.cc/blog/easily-capture-screenshot/
    If not , boot in windows 10 & take screenshot ( as said earlier )

3. Is your XP good/secure enough to access internet ?

Thanks & Regards. ...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Vineet Garg, Apr 10, 2018
  16. windowsxprules1

windowsxprules1

Okay, I will address multiple things.

1. My Windows 10 install got heavily messed up by a hard drive file system issue (I caused this by accident, it's not a hardware issue. I defragmented the drive on my main computer which is significantly faster and Windows 10 didn't like that.) I cannot take a screenshot of Disk Management yet.

2. I have now tested 32 bit XP and can confirm that the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver still has two entries, requiring the removal of one. I installed 32 bit XP solely to test this, I've since reformatted the drive and installed XP 64.

3. I swap the two drives out depending on what system I want to run. The only change I make between hard disks in the BIOS is for Windows 10 I enable UEFI and Secure Boot. XP doesn't care if I have AHCI or Native IDE mode, it still can't find the device at startup. The laptop only has one drive bay, so when one is present, the other is not.

I don't know if I specifically mentioned this, but I've assumed so far it was understood.. The problem is NOT that there is an unrecognized device at startup, the problem is that XP doesn't even detect the device as being there until I reset the UAA Bus Driver. This is not a Realtek issue, there is something wrong with the audio bus controller that doesn't detect the sound card.

I may not be worrying with it for much longer, I'm considering putting the XP drive into my main PC as extra storage space. That computer is newer and Intel-based, so there are no chipset or wireless drivers available. I wish I could run XP on that machine as a secondary system, but sadly I never can due to that reason.

windowsxprules1, Apr 22, 2018
  17. windowsxprules1

Elizabeth23

the issue is beyond me, sorry, :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 22, 2018
  18. windowsxprules1

Vineet Garg

Hi Sir,
    Sorry for the delay, I will be back, don't scrap XP !

Thanks & Regards. ...

Vineet Garg, Apr 30, 2018
  19. windowsxprules1

Vineet Garg

Hi Sir,
    It should solve soon !
    Please consider taking/answering these steps/questions one by one :
    1.You installed XP x86. Was it made with original/uncustomized xp iso ?
    2.Reboot & head straight to device manager. You don't have 'Realtek HD Audio' , right ? Do you have any device listed as 'Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus' under 'Sound, Video & Game Controllers' ? Other problematic/missing devices in device manager ?
    3. Uninstall the one 'Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio', restart and head straight to Device Manager > If it comes back ?
    4. 'I have tried slipstreaming, INF installation, and running the normal Realtek setup'
    Share that driver with me !
    5.'PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_780D&SUBSYS_FF1E1179&REV_01 -> this one I have to reload to force Realtek to load. It has no effect on the AMD device.
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_1314&SUBSYS_FF1E1179&REV_00 -> this one gives me no problems, and the AMD driver loads at startup without issue. It has no effect on the Realtek device.'
    what's that AMD device & driver ?
    6. Uninstall the other MS UAA & see into device manager ! how it looks ?
    7. Uninstall the other MS UAA & restart ! does it come back ?
    8. Uninstall the other MS UAA & scan for hardware changes ! What happens in the Device manager now ? & ...

[ EXTRAS : Did you ever thought about making system images ? It will open your hands for experimentation ! You shall never need to install OS every now & then ! Within half an hour, you will be able to restore to a status which you achieved/made at an early point of time. I even use it to switch between windows 7, vista & xp on the same machine ! Starting from vista, there is an in-built utility for making system images as & when you feel/require. But for xp sp3 x86 or xp sp2 x64, you would like to use a third party tool 'Macrium Reflect Free' So, consider : https://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/128494-imaging-strategies.html &
    &
    https://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/43219-image-your-system-free-macrium.html

Take care that you can make system images from within the boot but, for restoring it, you have to boot into the recovery media for the tool. Its always better to make recovery media from within the system, it has to be used on/for ! Normally, it requires to connect the system to internet to make the recovery media. But i am soon going to make a short 'how-to' for making it offline with the Macrium. ]

Thanks & Regards. ...

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Vineet Garg, May 1, 2018
  20. windowsxprules1

Vineet Garg

Vineet Garg, May 15, 2018
Ask a Question