Problem with updating TeamViewer

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Janice, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Janice

Janice

Hello Mr Siamese Cat. Thank you for your entertaining post :) I have already installed Team Viewer 12 a few days ago and it is working without problems. It was relatively easy. First I removed all the files associated with Version 14 including the one in the registry. A file search using XP's own search facility showed up all the files. After that I got version 12 from Teamviewer web site.

In your post you have said "We also both use hardware Firewalls to lock down XP". I am clueless about this. Can you please explain.

BTW this download page seems awfully complicated:
    https://ulozto.net/hledej?orderby=largest&q=TeamViewer+12

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    Janice, Nov 4, 2020
  2. Janice

Mr Siamese Cat

Hi Janice

Really pleased you got Team Viewer 12 back working.

Hardware Firewalls are Firewalls that sit outside your computer they sit between your network and your modem. They work in a similar way to a standard windows firewall, but with about a thousand times the functionality. They are basically small computers that guard access to your computers from the internet. Main brands being SonicWall, WatchGuard and Symantec. You can pick up enterprise standard Firewalls that originally cost hundreds of dollars for peanuts on ebay.

They work by allowing you to change the IP address’s on your network, close ports, change port addresses, lock down certain computers and even set rules. It basically means any hacker would have a nightmare trying to get in; And you can cut access to the internet instantly at the flick of a real switch.

If you go on Google and type in HardWare Firewall then click on images it will give you a good idea.

Some like mine and Madeleine’s are also Load balancers, so you can have more than one line coming in from more than 1 IP company.

It also means that the Broadband modem that your IP company gives you has no access to your computer. I find it hilarious that people worry about silly things like anti-virus software and internet attacks when they allow full access to their systems to their IP company. Virtually all Broadband modems are set at 192.168.0.1 which usually means their computer is set at 192.168.0.2. It takes seconds to get in. The speed being, as fast a hacker can type, that IP address and the relevant port usually 80 or 443 is a good bet.

However if you have a hardware FireWall - good luck with that approach, it would take weeks trying to go through all the different combinations that your Firewall can set all the time while an audible alarm is going off. That would be of course, if you didn’t set your FireWall to stop them after a certain number of tries.

Some companies require homeworkers to have FireWalls with VPN. VPN connections use an encrypted connection also called a tunnel. There are several ways (protocols) in which such a VPN connection can be set up. This is what Madeleine uses for work and sitting behind it are very expensive Managed Switches. These are like normal switches for instance something simple like a NetGear Prosafe gigabit switch, but they have hardware, that manages the data, so can be very much faster.

I believe I have bored you enough on this subject.

If you are still awake, moving swiftly on.

The Complex web site

Yes I fully agree it can look complex, but once you click on the item that you want you will be presented with a simple screen that has 2 choices. Fast Download or Slow Download. Sometimes you will be presented at this point with a window that requires you to type in the four letters and then download will start. I am in the UK downloading to XP through Firefox 52.9.0 (32-bit) and I get 300kb per second, so a 2GB film will take well under 2 hours.

They have just about everything on the site, its in the Czech Republic, so different and more liberal laws. So if you want to download entire software packages, books in PDF, Music including in high quality Flac or films from what ever era you want. It’s the place to go. I originally found when I was unable to get a Copy of the 1966 film “Gran Prix” from ebay.

It is the only download site I use, You see exactly what you are getting. I wouldn’t touch torrent sites. It is best to download films in MKV as that way you can remove subtitles with MKV Merge if you need to. As for music – well, there is just about everything ever recorded. So downloading the Complete works of Miles Davis in high quality audio is no problem. Obviously I have everything of his in Vinyl original imports from the States, but I have found turntables unusable in the car.

If you are one of these young people they have nowadays. Vinyl is the same as mp3 or Flac, but it’s real and spins round. This makes it sound better.

All the best

Simon (Mr Siamese Cat)

Mr Siamese Cat, Nov 4, 2020
    Janice likes this.
  3. Janice

Janice

Thank you very much for this great tutorial and other information and tips. It is very kind of you to take so much trouble.

The cat in your avatar is cute:) I am an incurable cat fan.

Janice, Nov 5, 2020
  4. Janice

stvpls

sadly the guys at teamviewer are pushing hard ppl to use the latelest versions even tough the old ones are way better theyre slowly disabling the old ones, wich is a shame since the old versions worked fine and were secure to use, and worked better on old systems

stvpls, Nov 9, 2020
Ask a Question