Problem with updating TeamViewer

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Janice, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Janice

Janice

I have TeamViewer 12 installed in Xp Pro. When I opened it I was offered the latest version 14. Version 14 was installed over version 12. Towards the end of installation I received a 'Runtime error' message. Please see attachment. This message appeared a number of times even after I clicked the OK button. I can see version 14 in Program Files. but it does not open. I get the notification window with the message "TeamViewer.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". Even though it says "needs to close", actually it does not open at all

Attached Files:

Janice, Oct 22, 2020
  2. Janice

Madeleine Takam

I am presuming you used an automatic update.

You need to check which version of TeamViewer downloaded and tried to install.
    Only up to TeamVeiwer 14.2 is supported on XP.

I don’t use and have very limited knowledge of it, other than it might have tried to install v14.7.48350 with an auto update – that might be your problem.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/previous-versions/

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5...ive-servicing-of-operating-systems/td-p/49687

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5...ive-servicing-of-operating-systems/td-p/49687

Sorry I can’t provide a solution.

Madeleine Takam, Oct 22, 2020
    Janice likes this.
  3. Janice

Janice

I can see that it has installed 14.2.56676.0 in C: Program Files. There are more than 40 files in its folder. Yes it was an automatic update and short cut icon was put on Desktop automatically.

Janice, Oct 23, 2020
  4. Janice

we3fan

we3fan, Oct 23, 2020
    Janice likes this.
  5. Janice

Elizabeth23

You can continue using the last supported version of TeamViewer – version 14.2 – on these operating systems. But please be aware that outgoing connections from TeamViewer can only connect to a remote device running the same or lower version of TeamViewer. This means you won’t be able to connect from Windows XP/Vista/2003/2008 to a remote computer running TeamViewer 15, for example. However, incoming connections to XP/Vista/2003/2008 from a remote computer with a higher version of TeamViewer are always possible.

above from HERE

Elizabeth23, Oct 23, 2020
    Janice likes this.
  6. Janice

Janice

Can someone please tell me the meaning of the 'Runtime Error' message attached to my 1st post above. What can you suggest I do in order to be able to open TeamViewer 14 on my XP. I keep getting this message.

Attached Files:

Janice, Oct 23, 2020
  7. Janice

we3fan

Try this:
    Start > Run > cmd > type ipv6 install and press Enter, wait until it says: Succeeded.
    Start TeamViewer. Might need PC restart.

we3fan, Oct 23, 2020
  8. Janice

Elizabeth23

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5...-C-Runtime-Library-Error-on-XP-SP3/td-p/64444

you can read the full answer at the above teamviewer forum

causes of a runtime error

There can be quite a few events that can cause file errors. An incomplete installation, an incomplete file deletion, incorrect deletion of programs or computer hardware. It could also be triggered when a computer is contaminated with a computer virus or adware/spyware invasion or by an improper shut down of the machine. Any of the preceeding actions can result in the removal or data corruption of Windows system data files. A corrupted system file will lead to missing and erroneously connected information and records needed for the proper functioning of the application.

Elizabeth23, Oct 24, 2020
    Janice likes this.
  9. Janice

Janice

I downloaded AnyDesk from we3fan's link. It seems to be working but I keep getting the attached notification every time I open AnyDesk. What could this be.

Attached Files:

Janice, Oct 25, 2020
  10. Janice

Elizabeth23

could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll
    Means that the application is not written for whatever version of the operating system (KERNEL32.DLL is a core Windows file) that you have installed. If you know you have the correct major version (i.e., XP, Vista, 7, 8), then this usually indicates that software requires an older or newer minor version (service pack). Tentative research on DecodePointer suggests you need a newer version.

what version of windows installer have you used, go to start/run and type in msiexec, this will open a dialog box that will give you the version it should be version 4.5

Elizabeth23, Oct 26, 2020
    Janice likes this.
  11. Janice

Janice

I did this and it shows V 4.5.6002.24433.
    Here is a little more information about this: Every time I open Anydesk, the "......could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll" window pops up. At the same time, Anydesk icon appears in the System Tray (notification area). When I close Anydesk this icon remains in the system tray. If I leave this icon alone - not delete it - the "dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll" window does not pop up when I start Anydesk next time. But if I delete the icon from the system tray, the pop up window appears.

Janice, Oct 27, 2020
  12. Janice

Elizabeth23

evidently this program needs to run at startup, if you go to msconfig and look at startup, see if you can find the file that this program is using at startup, then go to the programs file and copy that file to c:/windows/system32 then see if it will start up without being in the system tray

Elizabeth23, Oct 28, 2020
  13. Janice

Janice

Please see attachment of msconfig. It shows an .exe file. The search results in C: shows only 3 files: 1. Anydesk.exe - only file in Anydesk folder in Program files (Identical to the only file that came in the download from their website). 2. ANYDESK.EXE-13120EA4.pf 3. ANYDESK.EXE-31221789.pf both in the Prefetch folder. There is nothing in System 32 folder.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Janice, Oct 29, 2020
  14. Janice

Elizabeth23

copy anydesk.exe to the system 32 folder and uncheck the startup box in msconfig, then reboot and see if the program will open without errors, there is no reason for this program to be required to open at startup.

Elizabeth23, Oct 29, 2020
  15. Janice

Janice

This was done but didn't solve the problem. The error message kept coming back. After the changes were made I got Message 1. After Restart I got Message 2. Opening msconfig shows Startup Selection in the General tab has changed automatically to Selective Startup. When Normal Startup is selected in the General tab, Anydesk that I deselected gets selected back automatically, in the Startup tab. I tried this a couple of times more but every time I deselect Anydesk from the Startup tab, Startup Selection Changes to Selective Startup in the General tab and vice versa :mad:

Attached Files:

Janice, Oct 31, 2020
  16. Janice

Elizabeth23

any time msconfig has been used you will get the above msgs, you can ignore them.

I have been running for many years on selective startup, if I were to run normal startup I would have many programs run at startup, the only thing I run on startup is ERUNT registry backup and my antivirus, nothing else needs to run on startup. :)

Elizabeth23, Nov 1, 2020
  17. Janice

Janice

Thank you. Now I am on Selective Startup with Anydesk deselected from the Startup tab but the problem remains unsolved. "Entry point not found" notification still pops up at every start of Anydesk. Although Anydesk functionality seems ok. File transfer and remote control is working normally. checked with a friend's Windows 7 laptop. What else can I do to get rid of the annoying notification?

Janice, Nov 2, 2020
  18. Janice

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Nov 3, 2020
    Janice likes this.
  19. Janice

Mr Siamese Cat

Hi Janice

Regarding TeamViewer 12 and the Auto update problems you have had with TeamViewer 14.

I was talking on the phone with Madeleine Takam another XP Forum user today about the problems Occurring for XP users. Both of us use XP as a front end for expensive programs that can’t be replaced.

I use Windows 7 remotely and Madeleine uses Windows 10 remotely – To face the internet and for programs that can’t exist because of lack of support and deliberate sabotage by software developers if you like. (They have to make money, so they require people to constantly update. Same reason cars rust) We also both use hardware Firewalls to lock down XP.

This is an esoteric conversation, as far as you are concerned. It does not solve your problem.

Me writing: “Well you should have turned off Auto updates” and used back up software is just irritating and condescending and would make me a bit of a dick.

So how to solve your problem.

The easy route if you are a very very lucky lady.

Firstly I have checked Team Viewers web site and they don’t appear to be offering Team Viewer 12, but take the opportunity to download the manual.

Secondly Go to the site below and download Team Viewer 12. Or possibly Team Viewer 13.

https://ulozto.net/hledej?orderby=largest&q=TeamViewer+12

Thirdly Spend an annoying length of time - Backing up all your documents emails, photo’s Team Viewer Files? And anything else you can think of that matters to you.

Fourthly Remove the Program Team Viewer. Get down on your knees and pray that it actually does remove it. I usually find swearing at the computer and staring at in an angry way helps. Otherwise this may also mean going into the Registry and having the nightmare of removing from there and also from you as a specific user under documents and settings and all users. Could be a 4 hour job there.

And Finally – Reinstall Team Viewer 12. Then pray again.

If this hasn’t fixed your problem it isn’t your fault. It means Team Viewer has put files where you can’t find them to force you to upgrade. Swearing and shaking your fist is the best way to relieve stress at this point. Or you could take up smoking – it is what my Oncologist has suggested after all.

At this point if you are an Acronis or Ghost user you can sit back and laugh

Otherwise:

The hard route

1. Back up everything

2. Make sure you have at least 2 hard drives/raid arrays/solidstates etc

3. Format main operating system hard drive

4. Reinstall Windows and all programs you need except Team Viewer 12

5. Download Acronis back up software (Madeleine uses this)

or alternatively

I use Ghost. Have used it for years. I do a full back up of a 1TB drive with 200GB of data on once per month. It fully clones the system. I use the same software on XP or Windows 7.
    I have put it here for you. However Ghost requires you to install XP on both disks one is your back up drive and one is you Main Janice drive.

https://ulozto.net/file/WMzCCbeEi5hm/ghost32-exe

6. Learn how to use

7. Do a disk clone

8. Install TeamViewer 12 (Now Pray/smoke or do whatever you feel like.

9. If it now works you are laughing and you can set about turning off Auto updates on it.

10. Do another disk clone – so now you back up files of your entire system. This is for when you can no longer use TeamViewer 12 and have to use something else.

If the above doesn’t grab you as a good idea, I fully understand it is probably up to 2 days work.

Good Luck – you will certainly need it

Mr Siamese Cat, Nov 3, 2020
    Janice likes this.
  20. Janice

Mr Siamese Cat

Hi again Janice

I must correct myself

Team Viewer are offering Team Viewer 12 –

It is here:

But you then you need to click on link for Team Viewer 12 on the top line.

Again Good Luck

Mr Siamese Cat, Nov 3, 2020
Ask a Question